How on earth did Engadget manage to video their BB10 hands-on but CB couldn't?
    bluetroll likes this.
    06-19-12 03:25 PM
    CB is slipping, sooo sad!
    siddo_d and Yaceka like this.
    06-19-12 03:41 PM
    Seems to very carefully staged to be the same stuff we saw in the canned demo way back when the dev devices came out, so I don't think it tells us anything new.
    06-19-12 03:46 PM
    N4bb is also getting a hands on.....I think K-Mich needs to get going on this...
    06-19-12 03:56 PM
    That is a pretty cool video. We just need it in the stores now.
    06-19-12 03:58 PM
    That is a pretty cool video. We just need it in the stores now.
    Well.. the description makes it sound like they still have a lot of work to do - is this actually going to ship this year?
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-19-12 04:00 PM
    Well.. the description makes it sound like they still have a lot of work to do - is this actually going to ship this year?
    Agree, I doubt this is the final version of OS and UI functionality. At least it's showing that they are nearing release.

My biggest question or concern is, the BB10 delay according to lazaridis was the fact that the were waiting for the next gen CPU's to be able to handle the new OS and/LTE and save on power.
    Do they have that all sorted out now? Or was it one big fat lie?
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-19-12 04:04 PM
    this stuff has already been shown on CB.

this is good, because who they really need to show this to are the haters. all the blogs that write negative press on bb.

this is good. this is good press for bb... i like it.
    06-19-12 04:04 PM
    Yeah we've see this before but again never hurts! I noticed that the comments were mostly positive! I don't base my decisions from the comment section but it's good to see RIMs hard work beginning to pay off!
    06-19-12 04:18 PM
    Its also on the Verge in video too, interesting how it shows capitalizing and some of the not shown functions. BlackBerry 10 keyboard hands-on (video) | The Verge
    06-19-12 04:31 PM
    Not officially but apparentely quarter four has been said. I think Q3 was also speculated haha.
    06-19-12 04:35 PM
    I said this in the comments section on CB but I'll post this here too:

"Everything they've shown makes me think this is just a small teaser tossed together and not the actual current OS. The clock is always 13:37 except for when peeking, we always see the same emails and pdfs, the emails never become "read" even after being opened twice, the same 4 open apps are there, and there's the same 4 repeated application icons we've been seeing for a while now. That, combined with the zero lag or slowdown that is currently experienced on the Blackberry Playbook (the difference in quality between the messaging app on the Playbook and on this demo for example) is making me worried they don't have anything beyond this demo they concocted. Kinda worrying. I guess in due time we'll see."

This demo looks way too speedy and is always the same every time it's shown. If BB10 is really so much faster, why aren't we seeing any of these speed improvements on Playbook's 2.1? Even the updated messaging app in 2.1 isn't this speedy. I think I just don't trust RIM anymore.
    purijagmohan and kennyliu like this.
    06-19-12 10:03 PM
    I said this in the comments section on CB but I'll post this here too:

"Everything they've shown makes me think this is just a small teaser tossed together and not the actual current OS. The clock is always 13:37 except for when peeking, we always see the same emails and pdfs, the emails never become "read" even after being opened twice, the same 4 open apps are there, and there's the same 4 repeated application icons we've been seeing for a while now. That, combined with the zero lag or slowdown that is currently experienced on the Blackberry Playbook (the difference in quality between the messaging app on the Playbook and on this demo for example) is making me worried they don't have anything beyond this demo they concocted. Kinda worrying. I guess in due time we'll see."

This demo looks way too speedy and is always the same every time it's shown. If BB10 is really so much faster, why aren't we seeing any of these speed improvements on Playbook's 2.1? Even the updated messaging app in 2.1 isn't this speedy. I think I just don't trust RIM anymore.
    Well it was noted that BB10 runs on QNX Neutrino 8 kernel while the Tablet OS runs on QNX Neutrino 6.

But other than that, this is Alpha software. Same thing released since BBWorld. Same build. That's what they're showing. Not because that's all they've got. But because that's what they want to show.
    Last edited by mithrazor; 06-19-12 at 10:17 PM.
    06-19-12 10:10 PM
    The video is old and I've seen enough of it.. Not really much to see.
    06-20-12 12:21 AM
    Well it was noted that BB10 runs on QNX Neutrino 8 kernel while the Tablet OS runs on QNX Neutrino 6.

But other than that, this is Alpha software. Same thing released since BBWorld. Same build. That's what they're showing. Not because that's all they've got. But because that's what they want to show.

But why would the clock always be the same time and the emails always the same unread emails? If this was running Alpha software, those would differ slightly from demo to demo.
    Rickroller and purijagmohan like this.
    06-20-12 05:25 AM
    I wouls not be surprised if this demo is the same software build that was shown back in May. It is just meant to be a demo piece and does not reflect any progress that has been made.
    06-20-12 05:38 AM
    Agree, I doubt this is the final version of OS and UI functionality. At least it's showing that they are nearing release.
    Well, Engadget's article did indicate that the OS is far from complete, and that RIM wasn't willing to show or tell anything beyond a few little snippets.

Btw, the RIM employee showing this Engadget really needs a personality. He couldn't have sounded less enthused to be showing off BB10.
    Rickroller likes this.
    06-20-12 06:53 AM
    I agree with this comment from the video..

eerily similar layout to Meego's three pane design if i might say so myself and whats with the lack luster effort of Gary in his demo of the OS. Someone needs to remind him that his job and the future of the company depends on how much excitement they create behind the redesign of their OS
    That dude is clearly not into showmanship..so why have him demo anything? It looked like he could barely type, let alone show off a keyboard smh..

Having some crotchety old dude demo your software isn't going to win over the "hipster" public.
    Shlooky likes this.
    06-20-12 08:30 AM
    But why would the clock always be the same time and the emails always the same unread emails? If this was running Alpha software, those would differ slightly from demo to demo.
    Placeholder time?? Until they get the Clock app up and running on it I'm guessing. And by looking at the application grid, they only have about 4 apps on the phone. 5 including the unified inbox.

And the emails is the same because obviously those aren't real emails. It serves to show the OS/notifications and the messages portion with "flow"

Relax, how about you wait until it's completely shown off in a few months before you're like OMG the clock doesn't work! And it's always the same unread emails! RIM's DEAD!!

There could be any number of reasons why it's like that.
    06-20-12 01:33 PM
    I agree with this comment from the video..

That dude is clearly not into showmanship..so why have him demo anything? It looked like he could barely type, let alone show off a keyboard smh..

Having some crotchety old dude demo your software isn't going to win over the "hipster" public.
    You do realize this wasn't a big conference for media right?

It was BB10Jam in NYC. For developers, to help them develop apps for the platform. And that's the guy who created BBM.

Engadget was just on site and I guess they let them play with BB10 under his supervision.
    06-20-12 01:36 PM
    As you said.. its a demo. Why do you think he didnt wanna show the main appications grid? Because none of it functions on the demo..
    06-20-12 02:40 PM

Relax, how about you wait until it's completely shown off in a few months before you're like OMG the clock doesn't work! And it's always the same unread emails! RIM's DEAD!!

I guess the difference being, the Windows tab being talked about is still 6+ months away, yet they are showing off a very workable demo to everyone. Considering RIM is supposed to be releasing BB10 in 5 months..it makes one wonder..
    purijagmohan likes this.
    06-20-12 03:38 PM
    I guess the difference being, the Windows tab being talked about is still 6+ months away, yet they are showing off a very workable demo to everyone. Considering RIM is supposed to be releasing BB10 in 5 months..it makes one wonder..
    The build is the same as the one shown off during BBWorld in May. May to November is 6 months.

Either way, it's a demo. What two different companies choose to show to the public only makes the fools wonder and assume doom.

I'd say, I'd rather wait until BB10 is completely unveiled to completely influence my impression. As opposed to Windows 8's unveiling compared to just a "sneak peek" into BB10.
    06-20-12 05:36 PM
    Placeholder time?? Until they get the Clock app up and running on it I'm guessing. And by looking at the application grid, they only have about 4 apps on the phone. 5 including the unified inbox.

And the emails is the same because obviously those aren't real emails. It serves to show the OS/notifications and the messages portion with "flow"

Well now we know why - because they can't hit their deadlines.
    06-28-12 04:03 PM
    Well now we know why - because they can't hit their deadlines.
    Or they constantly hit roadblocks. It happens in programming. Pushes a project back.

I was just surprised they were trying to make a completely new OS in a year. Apple did it in 3 for the original iPhone.

But eh, I'm definitely disappointed by todays news. But my upgrade's not until April. So it didn't affect when I'd get my hands on it.
    06-29-12 12:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD