As I see more and more threads and/or replies in threads denouncing the abandonment of BB by Google, I can't help but think how opinions will change on these forums when Google drops a bomb in the mobile market.

I will make a prediction... Within the next 6-8 months, Google will drop a suite of apps for BB10. Probably all at once instead of staggered. Maps, G+, Chrome, etc.. All pounced at the same time.

I will post the reasons why I believe this to be the case later. But I'm curious to see how many people here would believe the same, or believe differently before I explain my reasoning. And for the record, I don't for a moment argue mobile market share a factor.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    06-21-13 05:23 PM
    As I see more and more threads and/or replies in threads denouncing the abandonment of BB by Google, I can't help but think how opinions will change on these forums when Google drops a bomb in the mobile market.

I will make a prediction... Within the next 6-8 months, Google will drop a suite of apps for BB10. Probably all at once instead of staggered. Maps, G+, Chrome, etc.. All pounced at the same time.

I will post the reasons why I believe this to be the case later. But I'm curious to see how many people here would believe the same, or believe differently before I explain my reasoning. And for the record, I don't for a moment argue mobile market share a factor.

SwiftKeyed/Flowed via TapaTalk 4 beta.
    I don't believe it
    06-21-13 05:32 PM
    I have little reason to believe they will or won't . . .but all I do is send emails and tweets begging for support and I get no response. . .
    06-21-13 05:36 PM
    Does google make anything off of android other than ad revenue? I can't see why they would exclude user bases that would increase that revenue. Will they? I don't have a clue.
    JeepBB likes this.
    06-21-13 05:40 PM
    Aside from market share and the whole is it worth it argument.

Google has become the preferred apps provider for iOS. I see no reason why they would not want to dominate all smartphone platforms in the same manner.

Posted via BlackBerry 10
    06-21-13 05:47 PM
    I think your prediction is as sound as any.
    Here's my guess:
    Google may not care too much about developing for low market share devices, but that doesn't mean they don't keep their eyes open. A few months from now, Blackberry will be making moves into embedding their identity straight into the Google and apple platforms (in the form of BBM channels and BBM itself).
    These will be standalone products that will breathe on their own without needing to reside on BlackBerry devices. That means that all of a sudden, BB will expand their mind share by several orders of magnitude into other ecosystems. That translates into a potential for Google to lose advertisement endpoints, since BBM channels will have its own way of engaging money spending customers. This will trigger a response from Google, not for the purpose of killing Blackberry (or helping them either) . The response will be a countermeasure to make sure the weight of the Google name (and it's ad revenue collection power) does not lighten or get diluted. One of the ways to do this is to build apps for the "enemy" that will keep people engaged with Google. Google knows that BlackBerry does not necessarily have to sell hardware to gain a decent market share. After all, look at all the mind share Google acquired solely with their web presence before they ever sold a single Android device.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 06:40 PM
    Okay.. I'll throw in my 2 cents in on why I don't buy into the "Market Share" argument...

There was a time that Google was very happy to develop for BB. In fact, BB users were very happy to use any and all Google products. So much so that BB users praised all things Google. Until the point at which Android became popular. At this time Google suddenly became the enemy. Not because Google stopped supporting BB (because they didn't), but because anything Google was associated with anything Android, and suddenly perceived as the enemy.

Fast forward to today.

I've seen arguments about app developers waiting for BB adoption and market share growth... blah blah blah. Ya know what? Platform adoption and market share is the least of developer worries at this point when considering the development for any of the top 4 platforms (Android, iOS, BB, WP8). After all... Google Maps (and the rest of the Google apps) were being developed for BB when the total smartphone industry accounted for only a few million smartphone users worldwide. And this was only about what... 4-5 years ago? It's not like the cost of development increased 500% over the last 4-5 years.

I don't think Google is waiting for marketshare growth. I don't think they're waiting for any kind of subscriber growth. What I do predict, is that Google is holding out for a confirmed stability in the BBOS before they release anything. Confirmed stability meaning, they're holding out until they're proof positive that releasing their apps suddenly don't require huge amounts of rewrites and edits to keep their apps going. BB10 is still in its infancy, and I'm sure Google would prefer to release when they are confident no major changes will create nightmares for them.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that Google started designing apps for BB10 at the earliest moment they could. They're just holding out as long as they can before releasing their apps to ensure that their apps are not going to suffer issues with OS upgrades.

I'd even go as far as to predict that there has been solid communication between BB and Google along those lines too.
    06-21-13 10:09 PM
    edit... double post
    06-21-13 10:11 PM
    I believe Google is developing some amazing apps for BlackBerry 10. They're not rushing and probably going for very high quality and a full leveraging of the OS. It will be an IPhone slayer.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 11:35 PM
    Nope. Not going to happen.

Posted via CB10
    06-21-13 11:53 PM
    I guess your guess is a good as any guess. . .(see what I did there. . .lol) What I don't get is if they are working on something why be to tight lipped about it. . .as simple "we're keeping it in consideration" ...the silence indicates to me that BB10 is simply not a priority. . .period.
    Last edited by AfroZepher; 06-22-13 at 02:17 AM. Reason: I can't spell (even spell check can't help me. . .)
    06-22-13 02:16 AM