I'm not much of a gamer, however I hope that the BB10 platform becomes the premier gaming platform. This will be a great way to monetize for RIM as gaming apps contribute to large revenue. As well BB10 would benefit from broader adoption.

Come Jan 30th I want to see a powerful GPU and some great gaming titles. I want the BB10 gaming platform to support great graphics and great titles for the gamers out there.

I do have a hunch that we will be quite surprised given the power of the platform. I just hope the GPU matches the power of the OS

Anyone have any insights as to BB10 gaming?
    01-06-13 01:44 PM
    I'm not much of a gamer, however I hope that the BB10 platform becomes the premier gaming platform. This will be a great way to monetize for RIM as gaming apps contribute to large revenue. As well BB10 would benefit from broader adoption.

Come Jan 30th I want to see a powerful GPU and some great gaming titles. I want the BB10 gaming platform to support great graphics and great titles for the gamers out there.

I do have a hunch that we will be quite surprised given the power of the platform. I just hope the GPU matches the power of the OS

Anyone have any insights as to BB10 gaming?
    I always find it difficult to game on a mobile device... the controls are always wonky (I have a s3 and have previously owned a ipad, iphone 4s and a playbook).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    GTiLeo likes this.
    01-06-13 01:59 PM
    I always find it difficult to game on a mobile device... the controls are always wonky (I have a s3 and have previously owned a ipad, iphone 4s and a playbook).
    Yet there are tons of games around on every platform. Anyway missing_k-w the BB10 GPU will be even better than PlayBook so I can't see anything weak there. I don't game a lot but I want to have the games available. I'm more of a reader myself.
    01-06-13 02:06 PM

I have found that to be the case in some instances. In most cases gaming is quite enjoyable. There is apparently USB support for peripherals. We'll have to wait and see
    01-06-13 02:08 PM
    Yet there are tons of games around on every platform. Anyway missing_k-w the BB10 GPU will be even better than PlayBook so I can't see anything weak there. I don't game a lot but I want to have the games available. I'm more of a reader myself.
    I am very much a reader as well. I tend to read on the PB 95% of the time and love it for that. There are times when I enjoy a game, although it isn't that often.
    01-06-13 02:13 PM
    i would rather they focus and market the tools instead of the toys. its prime features include things like a dual profile, messaging hub etc.. toys just doesn't fit in with the image they are building for the platform.

01-06-13 02:16 PM
    i would rather they focus and market the tools instead of the toys. its prime features include things like a dual profile, messaging hub etc.. toys just doesn't fit in with the image they are building for the platform.

First and foremost BB10 is centered around a "mobile computing platform". BB10 is full featured and intended lateral integration. Gaming is a huge part of computing. RIM has their area of specialty which encompasses their primary audience. However to say that certain aspects aren't as critical as others are foolish.

In order to be a true "mobile computing platform". BB10 NEEDS to excel at all areas and beyond.
    01-06-13 02:20 PM
    what does that mean, sure there are games but they are half assed games, nothing intense

do you think a serious gamer would play on a mobile touchscreen decive, so you really think the controls will ever be as good as an XBOX PS or nintendo controller, or even a PCs controls? if you do then you buy to much into the bull**** apple sells you.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 02:23 PM
    what does that mean, sure there are games but they are half assed games, nothing intense

do you think a serious gamer would play on a mobile touchscreen decive, so you really think the controls will ever be as good as an XBOX PS or nintendo controller, or even a PCs controls? if you do then you buy to much into the bull**** apple sells you.
    You do realize there are different classes of gaming, right? Not all games need to be hardcore.

Bb10 needs games, and it's one of the only things the Playbook already has going for it.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 02:43 PM
    You do realize there are different classes of gaming, right? Not all games need to be hardcore.

Bb10 needs games, and it's one of the only things the Playbook already has going for it.
    i do know this but to say that should be the premium gaming platform to me would mean hardcore gaming not just the odd angry bird player, but yes i know it needs games
    01-06-13 02:54 PM
    There is a market for games even though it isn't an ideal platform. To me he was dismissing the notion of gaming on a HH. If you think I think a mobile device is anywhere near the power of a PS3 or Xbox that isn't the case. Now if it is on par with the Vita then that's ok but the Vita at least is designed for handheld gameplay in a way most phones aren't (buttons).

Like missing_K-W said above BB10 will have gamepad support so that helps but like you say its nothing intense. You can't even say its just graphics because besides all the pixels and shaders PS3/Xbox can push you want action, a good AI and solid FPS along with all that. But whining about the controls on a phone is dumb because of course it sucks nothin like stating the obvious and doesn't mean we shouldn't have games either.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 02:54 PM

you will be surprised at how large the non-"serious gaming" market is.

missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 02:55 PM
    i do know this but to say that should be the premium gaming platform to me would mean hardcore gaming not just the odd angry bird player, but yes i know it needs games
    The premium gaming platform between iOS, Android and WP8. RIM has a platform to trump the competition. So do it! That's what I was implying. As far as matching portable gaming devices such as portable PlayStation. Not gonna happen. RIM can and should take the reigns amongst their industry peers.
    01-06-13 02:58 PM
    The premium gaming platform between iOS, Android and WP8. RIM has a platform to trump the competition. So do it! That's what I was implying. As far as matching portable gaming devices such as portable PlayStation. Not gonna happen. RIM can and should take the reigns amongst their industry peers.
    I think the only way they can do that is either by using the lastest HW all the time putting BB directly in a spec war which Thorsten has already said they aren't or use BBM social hooks to tie gaming into more of your life. BB has their game platform GamePlay, that if devs take advantage of makes it easier for them to go cross platform and that benefits us and them.
    01-06-13 03:04 PM
    My ideal situation, and what I want to see RIM accomplish is the best platform to develop games on between iOS,Android and WP8. If RIM develops the premier development front with best tools and support. Developers may choose to develop on BB10 first and port to other platforms. This is where I want RIM to push the boundaries and become the industry leader in terms of best development platform and tools. I believe they can and will accomplish this.

I have read numerous articles where certain devs have stated that RIM's tools are becoming so good that they may develop on BB10 first then port to other platforms.

RIM has the opportunity to develop the best development platform for devs. They are almost there. That's what I want to see. Would be a massive ace up RIM'S sleeve
    01-06-13 03:06 PM
    then in this case i agree
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 03:08 PM
    I think the only way they can do that is either by using the lastest HW all the time putting BB directly in a spec war which Thorsten has already said they aren't or use BBM social hooks to tie gaming into more of your life. BB has their game platform GamePlay, that if devs take advantage of makes it easier for them to go cross platform and that benefits us and them.
    You bring good up a good point. How I view this is by taking advantage of QNX direct hardware access devs can leverage extra power from lesser hardware. Such as multithreading, SMP etc. Taking advantage of the microkernel
    01-06-13 03:08 PM
    Angry birds!!!
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 03:22 PM
    You bring good up a good point. How I view this is by taking advantage of QNX direct hardware access devs can leverage extra power from lesser hardware. Such as multithreading, SMP etc. Taking advantage of the microkernel
    Usually when developers use less capable hardware a microkernel is beneficial because the OS can be pared down to only the services needed to run the machine. I don't think RIM should unload drivers when you play games, it would slow things down at other times and it is a multi use platform. I see your point though but I don't "think" they need to.
    The biggest issue is the CPU IMO so it would be really really interesting to see BB10 compiled to run on a modern X86 Desktop. That is something I think they should do.
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 03:33 PM
    Angry birds!!!
    I turn that game on often enough on the PB. I can't stand it. However i keep going back!lol
    01-06-13 03:38 PM
    Usually when developers use less capable hardware a microkernel is beneficial because the OS can be pared down to only the services needed to run the machine. I don't think RIM should unload drivers when you play games, it would slow things down at other times and it is a multi use platform. I see your point though but I don't "think" they need to.
    The biggest issue is the CPU IMO so it would be really really interesting to see BB10 compiled to run on a modern X86 Desktop. That is something I think they should do.
    i agree i do think eventually BB10 should come to the PC side once things are looking strong for it on mobile, allow it to unlease all its power with hardware at the top of the level
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 03:48 PM
    ANGRY BIRDSSSSSS RRRAWWWRR

01-06-13 04:09 PM
    Yeah Imo bb10 gaming needs to be on point. On android and ios there are simply so many titles that make those platforms shine gaming wise, I would desperately hope bb10 gaming is anywhere close. I can understand it's likely not going to be great out of the gate, but hopefully doesn't take too long to get there.

Gaming is actually one my most important factors, as irrelevant as it may seem. Currently I have a host of games that include gta vice city, beat hazard ultra, rayman jungle run, jet set radio, chaos rings omega, and a few others I'm currently playing and addicted too. It would certainly be more than nice to have that level of titles on bb10 at some point.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 04:46 PM
    you will be surprised at how large the non-"serious gaming" market is.

Simpsons Tapped Out had 2.8 million daily active users in October and November 2012. To me, the whole dichotomy of serious vs casual games is false. They are just games and it's clear that people, regardless of platform, expect to be able to play them on any platform they own. BB10, if it is to be successful will have to ensure that gaming is not an afterthought. Fortunately, RIM seems to have gotten that message and has reached out to the major "casual" game developers. Now it's just a matter of waiting to see who ends up coming on board. Infinity Blade anyone?
    missing_K-W likes this.
    01-06-13 05:03 PM
    I'm sure there will be quality games on bb10
    01-06-13 05:13 PM
26 12