I don’t think there is pressure to keep BlackBerrys away from 'criminals,' but from the GENERAL PUBLIC. The aggressive negative publicity against the brand, filled with misinformation, has convinced me of this.
    And just who would be applying this "pressure"? Did they pressure BB to make a long series of business mistakes too? Is the general public unable to purchase a BB phone if they wish?
    08-24-15 11:07 AM
    And just who would be applying this "pressure"? Did they pressure BB to make a long series of business mistakes too? Is the general public unable to purchase a BB phone if they wish?
    Pretty sure it's everyone......

Media
    Governments
    Carriers
    Retailers
    Apple & Google
    App Developers
    Virtucon Industries

But yeah, if anyone wanted to destroy BlackBerry... they did it from inside the company.
    08-24-15 11:48 AM
    The iPhone was released in 2007, but there were rumors of it starting in 2005. If I owned an electronics business of some kind, and there were rumors that Apple was going to enter my market, you'd better believe that I'd be taking them as a serious threat, and would be looking ahead to see what I would be able to do to compete with whatever advancements they might bring.

Mike and Jim (Mike especially) did not of that - he had convinced himself that he was on the righteous path, that the carriers would never accept Apple, and that Apple could never design something like the iPhone. This is the same man who tried to convince the carriers that LTE was unneeded and that they should stay on 3G. Mike was a smart guy, but he got stuck in a 2002 mindset and built his entire company around that paradigm, and had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the future, all the while convinced that the change was wrong.

If any one thing was "primarily" responsible for killing BB (as you knew it in 2007), it was Mike Lazaridis. He was the proverbial buggy whip manufacturer who was trying to convince buyers of automobiles that, no, cars would never be viable, and besides, what they really needed was a braided leather buggy whip instead, even though they had retired their horses.

All of the other various contributors to the downfall of BB (including consumers and enterprises!) really only reacted to the many massive mistakes of Mike. No doubt, Mike's solution to the issues of the late 90's and early 2000's was brilliant, but this is technology, and once Mike had his solutions in place, he wasn't willing to acknowledge the fact that the world was going to keep changing, and that he'd have to keep up - even if it meant cannibalizing his existing business model.

Mike should have bought QNX (or found some other future solution) in 2006, based on the Apple rumors, but had he done so in 2007, following the actual release of the IPhone, BB could be in 3rd Place and have a real ecosystem of its own to help replace declining BIS fees, but Mike was still in denial, and did nothing for years, and by the time he finally got the ball rolling, it was far too late.

In business, timing is hugely important, and if you get timing wrong, you often don't get a second chance. Mike, and Mike alone, blew BB's chances. The rest has all been predictable drama that makes for interesting reading, but there is certainly no conspiracy.
    08-24-15 01:07 PM
    The five stages in dealing with loss: denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance.

You have to get past stage one.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2339
    As I remember well MeeGo fiasco, jumped straight between depression and acceptance.

Posted via CB10
    08-24-15 01:27 PM
    Post #394 on this thread

http://forums.crackberry.com/general...0/index16.html

Basically saying that there aren't enough sales of BB10 devices to pay for the custom drivers for running BB10 on the Qualcomm chip sets that will come out in the future. Even apart from that, hasn't Chen said they needed 10 million handset sales per year to be profitable? They are less than half of that now and dropping. I can't see how there can be enough sales to continue BB10 handsets.
    Just to be clear, the 10 million thing is taken out of context and not exactly what he meant.
    08-24-15 02:17 PM
    Just to be clear, the 10 million thing is taken out of context and not exactly what he meant.
    Although common sense would corroborate a number at least in that vicinity.

08-24-15 02:21 PM

Right, and I believe the number for the last quarter was a bit under 900K and dropping. It isn't even close.
    08-24-15 02:56 PM

Lol at "common sense". The number is around 1.25 million per quarter to establish handsets as profitable.
    08-24-15 04:30 PM
    Right, and I believe the number for the last quarter was a bit under 900K and dropping. It isn't even close.
    Not close to 2.5 million per quarter yes. Not too far (well, 30% ) from establishing profitability from handsets.
    08-24-15 04:32 PM
    Lol at "common sense". The number is around 1.25 million per quarter to establish handsets as profitable.
    How did you arrive at 1.25 million per quarter?
    08-24-15 04:47 PM
    And it's apparently dropping.
    08-24-15 05:11 PM
    Unfortunately common sense is not very easy to find. Custom BB10 drivers may explain why BlackBerry keeps old hardware a bit longer. Looking forward to more BB10 updates for my new Passport SE, which I still don't have a delivery date for. Hope tomorrow I will know. :^)

 Z30 
    08-24-15 06:05 PM
    Well, the most important piece of logic to arrive at is a company doesn't have to be profitable in a division to achieve profitability from that division. Loss Leaders can be a one time offer or a continuous plan.

Moving past that, the current CEO was quoted stating that they are beginning to look at hardware as a gateway to other services. I'm not going to dig up the interview but I also got the feeling that he is beginning to accept that there might not be a way forward without hardware. He also spun that the device sales of the most recent quarter were right there. As previously mentioned that number was sub 1 million.

I'd could be profitable selling 5 million devices per year, so based upon the information provided, I believe they could be too.
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-24-15 06:27 PM
    I'm not going to dig up the interview but I also got the feeling that he is beginning to accept that there might not be a way forward without hardware.
    I have also been getting that vibe.
    08-24-15 06:40 PM
    More accurately they lack the infrastructure to do it. Data mining of any value requires massive data collection and analytics. Google had that in place already for its search engine which is why they're the best at it.
    Hence the reason they can sell the data to external parties. At that point it's entirely out of your control or purview.

At least with the Google's and Apple's of the world the data is kept in-house (competitive advantage) and only aggregated advertising profiles are sold.
    08-24-15 07:01 PM
    Well, the most important piece of logic to arrive at is a company doesn't have to be profitable in a division to achieve profitability from that division. Loss Leaders can be a one time offer or a continuous plan.

Moving past that, the current CEO was quoted stating that they are beginning to look at hardware as a gateway to other services. I'm not going to dig up the interview but I also got the feeling that he is beginning to accept that there might not be a way forward without hardware. He also spun that the device sales of the most recent quarter were right there. As previously mentioned that number was sub 1 million.

I'd could be profitable selling 5 million devices per year, so based upon the information provided, I believe they could be too.
    I have also been getting that vibe.

That could explain a switch to Android. It might mean lower costs due to no Qualcomm fees and enough sales to support the other businesses within BB. It seems unlikely that they get even 1.5 million with BB10.
    08-24-15 07:43 PM
    Why does BlackBerry themselves say they remain committed?

Sent via Passport!
    Why did they say the PlayBook would get BB10 when they would have known that Bb10 was not going to work on the PlayBook's RAM? To keep sales going and not p1ss off a bunch of BlackBerry loyalists before they bought a BB10 devices. They waited until BB10 sales slowed significantly and the damage from the announcement would be minimal until they announced BB10 was not coming.

So basically BlackBerry has an issue with truthiness!

Posted via Z30
    08-24-15 09:46 PM
    Why did they say the PlayBook would get BB10 when they would have known that Bb10 was not going to work on the PlayBook's RAM? To keep sales going and not p1ss off a bunch of BlackBerry loyalists before they bought a BB10 devices. They waited until BB10 sales slowed significantly and the damage from the announcement would be minimal until they announced BB10 was not coming.

So basically BlackBerry has an issue with truthiness!

Posted via Z30
    Agree..

And this BlackBerry 'BB10 silence' is all too similar to the 'PlayBook silence' we endured a couple of years ago!

Maybe we will hear more when the BB10 stock is cleared?

PlayBook UK Channel C001CB4A1
    08-25-15 02:46 AM
    Chen is the Stephen Elop of Blackberry.

His job was to can BB10 so that Blackberry would only run PRISM approved operating systems. This is the reason it is impossible to get a Blackberry BB10 in the store and the reason there are very few apps.
    1Criz likes this.
    08-25-15 05:11 AM
    Chen is the Stephen Elop of Blackberry.

His job was to can BB10 so that Blackberry would only run PRISM approved operating systems. This is the reason it is impossible to get a Blackberry BB10 in the store and the reason there are very few apps.
    Well, no. Blackberries are in some stores. The reason people aren't buying them is that they came out about 3 years late to be competitive. And the reason there are no apps is that no one is buying them.
    08-25-15 08:03 AM
    Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

 Passport propelled by 10.3.2.2339 .
    08-25-15 08:23 AM
    Every dark cloud has a silver lining.

What's that supposed to mean?
    08-25-15 08:25 AM
    What's that supposed to mean?
    There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. BB10 is still alive.

08-25-15 08:32 AM
    There is always a light at the end of the tunnel. BB10 is still alive.

But don't forget the old saying that sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
    08-25-15 09:07 AM
    But don't forget the old saying that sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is a train.
    No problems. Long live BlackBerry. I will continue to buy devices as long as it is manufactured by BlackBerry. No matter what OS they use.

08-25-15 09:22 AM
172 ... 34567