Does anyone have an explanation or a theory about why BB10 devices are named the way that they are? The naming really is all over the place. And I'm a person who, like many others, believes that marketing is one of the most important things for a business to succeed, and it's pretty obvious that the name of the products are the core of marketing.

It's hard for me to see a clear link between the names of the devices we have so far. So first, we got the Z10, then the Q10. They both sound great and pretty premium both when spoken and on text. It's a big improvement from their old naming scheme. Then we had the Q5. Great! Half a Q10 to indicate that the Q10 is a superior phone. But then they announced the Z30. I was like, what happened to 20? But I thought, well at least they're all multiples of 5. And then comes the Z3, which just completely threw me off. So it's supposed to be the baby of the Z30, but are we supposed to forget about its relationship with the Z10, Q10, and the Q5? And now the Q20. Why doesn't the Z series get a 20? And why do the releases continue to jump back and forth randomly? At the very least, every release should have a Q and Z series and they should be similar in some way. Right now we have situations where a low end Z and a high end Q are announced close but still separately to each other which doesn't make sense to me. It forces us to make assumptions to try to find a possible link to each device. So the BB10 devices we have so far are as follows:

Z3, Z10, Z30
    Q5, Q10, Q20

Bizarre. Is it that hard to create a comprehensive naming scheme? I mean, it's basically counting! iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5. Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4, Galaxy S5. There, it's that simple.

To some people this might seem trivial, but I think it's essential if BlackBerry really wants to improve their image.

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 03:27 AM
    Z is for zero keypad
    Q is for Qwerty

Posted via CB10
    03-12-14 03:40 AM
    I wouldn't say its a deal breaker, but sure is odd. But there again BlackBerry is not Samsung or apple.
    03-12-14 04:00 AM
    The naming scheme needs to centre around themes that are part of people's lives. I propose "areas of the home." The deeper into the house you go, the better the phone:

Front Door (entry level device).
    Entrance Hall (mid range device)
    Lounge (high range device)

And, for the rich elite among us, the ultimate, prestige, Porsche designed device from BlackBerry:

The Bedroom.
    03-12-14 07:34 AM
    At this rate people are going to nKe jokes about how BlackBerry should be naming their phones according to names of volcanoes because apparently due to misguided notion they should have exploded and died years ago.

Vesuvius?
    Krakatoa?
    Fuji?

Posted via CB on BB10
    03-12-14 01:46 PM