There seems to be some controversy on data plans for BB10 phones.
    I'm talking about BIS and not BES.
    I've heard they will need a BlackBerry specific plan (BIS) like today's BlackBerry's.
    Then I've heard they will not require a BlackBerry specific plan (BIS) and will run off regular data plans... same as Android and iOS and I guess the PlayBook as well. The PlayBook does not go through RIM's NOC. I've heard BBM will be tied to your BlackBerry ID instead of a PIN and thats how we will have the same BBM account on our phone and PlayBook.
    Can someone that knows please clear this up for me.
    09-04-12 11:09 PM
    Since it will no longer use BIS and will have LTE, it will be on the same boat as all other LTE devices thus resulting in those expensive LTE data plans. I for one will not change my plan anytime soon because I think 6GB is more than enough for me and won't be needing LTE because HSPA+ is already fast enough for my needs and will also save me a lot of battery juice. LTE is overrated anyways IMO.
    09-04-12 11:32 PM
    Since it will no longer use BIS and will have LTE, it will be on the same boat as all other LTE devices thus resulting in those expensive LTE data plans. I for one will not change my plan anytime soon because I think 6GB is more than enough for me and won't be needing LTE because HSPA+ is already fast enough for my needs and will also save me a lot of battery juice. LTE is overrated anyways IMO.
    That's what I want to know... if they will no longer require BIS. Right now, whether its EDGE, 3G, HSPA, HSPA+ or even LTE.... BlackBerry's need BIS to go with those data packages. If you have BIS data you can still use it with your iPhone. If you don't have BIS on your data, then if you put your SIM from your iPhone into a BlackBerry you won't get data because you won't be connected to RIM's NOC.
    That's what I want to know... if BIS is required with BB10 or not?
    09-05-12 07:36 AM
    My understanding is that BB10 will be based on ActiveSync, and is incompatible the BIS/BES system that Java berries use.
    I think you can use a standard data plan and skip BIS, but then that would mean there's no compression going on.
    09-05-12 08:30 AM
    Not that the Dev Alpha is exactly a BB10 phone, but I got it up and running on my wireless network.
    At first, I told my carrier to use an Android Plan. The phone calls "worked," the data didn't.
    Once the PlayBook LTE came out, I told my carrier to switch it to the PlayBook plan and now data (Browser, AppWorld) works perfectly

I hope that helps.
    09-05-12 08:32 AM
    Without BIS BB10 won't fly, what's the point? Without it the competition is on for me I will shop around and if they magically pull it off by beating their competitors with better hardware, design and OS then we all good!
    09-05-12 09:12 AM
    LTE IS A WASTE OF DIGITAL SPACE. HSPA+ is fast enough for me, i mean, what are you trying to do? Download the entire internet?

The dataplan issue I think will be like it is. BBM and those kinds of related services through systems at RIM and browsing through carrier if you only want that.

OMFG 1,234 POSTS xD
    Last edited by ichat; 09-05-12 at 09:30 AM. Reason: 1234 ahahha
    09-05-12 09:29 AM
    I pay 59 rands for BIS dataplan and I pretty much do all I want with It except youtube streaming which is restricted by my service provider and without it check out the data plans on the link below its a rip-off I use over 2GB a month

Data Bundles
    09-05-12 10:16 AM
    I think the whole BB10 thing gets rid of the BIS add on.
    Yes, that means it won't go through the NOC and data won't be compressed. It puts it on a level playing field with the rest. Mike L was a stickler on compression to save band width, but I believe that went out the window with BB10.
    Compression was another factor that slowed down BB's web browsing and general network use because everything had to pass through the NOC first.
    From what I understand... no NOC or BIS for at least consumers.... BES for enterprise customers and the NOC might be different. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I would like carification on this.
    09-05-12 10:34 AM
    I'm not sure how this whole thing will work but I hope they make a plan like some people said its not yet comfirmed so I will just wait and see..but if there no BIS this means that it will be a whole new level for me cos I'm already an abuser! 3G is fine for me really I don't need extra speed and we don't have LTE in South Africa anyway.
    09-05-12 10:47 AM
    My understanding is that BB10 will be based on ActiveSync, and is incompatible the BIS/BES system that Java berries use.
    I think you can use a standard data plan and skip BIS, but then that would mean there's no compression going on.
    If BB10 isn't going through the BIS NOC, there won't be any compression anyway. Running a BIS plan on an iPhone doesn't offer the data compression because the data doesn't go though the NOC, so I'm assuming that's how BB10 will work.
    09-05-12 10:52 AM
    First of all I will say that LTE is not overrated. Yes it kills battery and eats data like it's nothing, but the speed is truly unreal. I'm cheating on BB right now with an SGSIII - Just trying something new until BB10 comes out, but LTE is the only thing that stops me from putting my SIM back in my 9900. When you have 8 app updates and you simply click "update all" and watch it complete all of the tasks in zero time...it's pretty awesome. I've seen 48 Mbps in some parts of downtown Toronto.

However...when I started trying this phone, it ate through all of my allotted data in 3 days. I previously only had 500 MB/month on my 9900 and overage was never an issue. The SGSIII prompted me to change to the 6 GB plan, and I literally used just about that in one month.

To be honest I was really hoping that BB10 would find a way to have LTE speeds, WITH that RIM NOC data compression. To be able to have data that fast and not absolutely kill your data would truly be a step forward/ahead of every other high end LTE phone right now.

At least I'm glad to see they haven't forgotten about getting awesome battery life. I'm sick of plugging this thing in at least twice a day. It's 12:15 pm and I'm already down to 58%, haven't been using it much.

Excited for BB10 regardless!
    09-05-12 11:14 AM
    The leaked images have the BlackBerry icon next to its connection. Doesn't that mean that it is connected to the BlackBerry servers, as in BIS?
    09-05-12 04:49 PM
    idunno, could mean it's linked to a BES server.
    09-05-12 06:16 PM
    I think The Kevin needs to step in and help us with the confusion...or The Blaze or one of The Others

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    09-05-12 06:36 PM
    I asked the Bla1ze to clarify this for me in the comments on the leaked image of the first BlackBerry 10 phone code named London. But he ignored it.
    I don't think BB10 phones will go through the NOC or require BIS. I think grahamf is correct about using ActiveSync.
    09-05-12 07:00 PM
    I asked the Bla1ze to clarify this for me in the comments on the leaked image of the first BlackBerry 10 phone code named London. But he ignored it.
    I don't think BB10 phones will go through the NOC or require BIS. I think grahamf is correct about using ActiveSync.
    09-05-12 07:01 PM
    I think one of them already did a blog about this comparison.
    09-05-12 09:15 PM
    I think one of them already did a blog about this comparison.
    That blog was about BES and the enterprise.
    09-05-12 09:27 PM
    How do you guys see push working without BIS? ActiveSync works for mail, but what about messaging and other notifications? I can't see RIM wanting to take on the cost of running the servers the way Apple and Google do (Android manufacturers get a free ride on this...) and give up on the fees from carriers. Besides which one of their selling points is that by using something like BIS, carriers can sell reduced capability data plans which only do mail and social.
    09-06-12 02:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD