Could RIMs choice to code the browser with web technologies (Html5/css/java) could mean they plan for the BB10 browser to exisit on more than just BB10 devices, otherwise why not build a cascades browser?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    09-26-12 08:56 AM
    Since most older devices absolutely choke on JS and HTML5, I'm going to assume that using these standards for the browser was done in order to allow for easier porting forward in the future, rather than porting back to older devices.
    09-26-12 09:15 AM
    Since most older devices absolutely choke on JS and HTML5, I'm going to assume that using these standards for the browser was done in order to allow for easier porting forward in the future, rather than porting back to older devices.
    Define older? The Playbooks pretty old and it doesn't choke. I use web apps on my 9900 all the time, like the new grooveshark app. Webworks is back-compatible with BBOS, whose to say they haven't refined Webworks as a whole? It originated on BBOS to enable 5.0+ to access the Webkit engine. Albeit 5.0 support is laughable
    09-26-12 02:08 PM
    Define older? The Playbooks pretty old and it doesn't choke. I use web apps on my 9900 all the time, like the new grooveshark app. Webworks is back-compatible with BBOS, whose to say they haven't refined Webworks as a whole? It originated on BBOS to enable 5.0+ to access the Webkit engine. Albeit 5.0 support is laughable
    The playbook is a moot point. It is said to be getting BB10, which would obviously include the browser.

I'm speaking of Blackberry phones. They are not capable of any heavy lifting with realtime HTML5 or JS. Webworks also does not allow BBOS5 to access the webkit engine. Webworks is just a way of leveraging the rendering engine to easily create basic apps.

The BB phones are too slow for the BB10 browser as is. Compound the fact that it would need to be run ontop of the java OS and you have a recipe for disaster.
    James Nieves likes this.
    09-26-12 02:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD