I've thought this over and have had many discussions on this topic in a few groups, and I feel that this would be the perfect place to post my thoughts about BlackBerry apps.

Since BB10 is over, and BlackBerry is shifting towards software for the time being, I'd like to express my (and other users') interest in porting as much of their BB10 and maybe BBOS app portfolio as possible, to Android. I quickly subscribed to BlackBerry's Hub+ service, which includes up to 8 premium apps for a great price. I've been supporting BlackBerry developers who have made the plunge into porting their apps to Android, like Toysoft has. But there are so many valuable apps that Blackberry has created that I have a strong desire to use on my OnePlus One.

I'm in no way implying that Blackberry should just port the rest of their apps for free. I certainly don't mind paying for premium apps that have been particularly useful to me while I was a BBOS and BB10 user. It's my opinion that there were plenty of "free" in-house apps that BlackBerry should have offered an enhanced version for those interested in paying for one. It would have made their bottom line look decent, at the very least. In the case I'm presenting, it would help the fans use apps from a company they trust, without having to search the Play Store for a poorly functioning equivalent.

Blackberry Beta Zone: the Beta Zone app would be the perfect platform to allow fans to field test Blackberry apps, get user feedback and it's already set up, so there are no wasted resources having to custom build an app repository.

Blackberry Clock: BEDSIDE MODE!!! Yeah, I'd like a Porsche clock option, that would be nice, but Bedside Mode was one of the best features of the BB10 clock app.

Blackberry Calculator: this is just MY opinion, but I haven't found a better Android alternative.

Blackberry Community App: because I can't keep up with Blackberry news - and I don't like twitter.

Blackberry Compass: the floating compass is beautiful! And it works offline.

Blackberry Maps: yeah, just re-skin Google Maps, just because I like BB Maps

Blackberry Weather: I don't like any, and I mean ANY of the Android weather apps. The effects suck.

Blackberry Pictures App: It was dope, point blank!!

Blackberry Video App: the UI alone is simple and user friendly

Blackberry File Manager: I already use an EXCELLENT file manager app, but this one is still very good

Blackberry Story Maker: for on the fly video editing and more, this app is motion picture ready.

and last but not least...

Blackberry 10 Launcher: the Launcher they currently have has a ton of potential. They could transform it into a BB10 full gesture Launcher. Most of the code has already been written, the failed Jolla Launcher can be scavenged and remodeled.

I'm sure there are other apps I missed, but I listed the BB10 apps I used most. Comment below with your suggestions. Maybe someone from Blackberry is watching and will see that there's still geniune interest in their core apps.

(I'll be monitoring my thread. If any part of this veers into whining, complaining or irrelevant chatter, I will have a mod edit. I don't have mod powers, but I have mod clout)
    10-26-16 04:31 PM
    The only one I'd want is Blend, but that's dead.
    10-26-16 04:46 PM
    Blackberry is in the business of using the least amount of resources for the most amount of profit so none of the above in the OP will happen unless its a web wrapper app pointing to a website.
    10-26-16 04:52 PM
    Remember: on BB10, it's all in one. On Android, we have tasks and notes but they don't have the same capability.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    10-26-16 04:56 PM
    The only one I'd want is Blend, but that's dead.
    a universal side sync type app would be handy
    10-26-16 04:58 PM
    There's a few in that list I would like to see if for nothing else, so people would stop asking for them. Especially the stuff BlackBerry actually spent money on to acquire lol.

- BlackBerry Pictures App - I want this just so people stop asking. It was a nice, simple app for people.
    - BlackBerry File Manager - Again, solely so people stop asking about it.
    - BlackBerry Store Maker - BlackBerry spent money on acquiring the company behind this, just re-build it and it's a good app.
    - BlackBerry Blend - Because nothing really compares to it on Android. You can hack some junk together but it's still not the same. This is actually one stop where BlackBerry COULD differentiate.
    10-26-16 05:16 PM
    Blackberry is in the business of using the least amount of resources for the most amount of profit so none of the above in the OP will happen unless its a web wrapper app pointing to a website.
    It's still fun to toy with the idea.
    10-26-16 05:18 PM
    It's still fun to toy with the idea.
    As long as that's the purpose. We all like to have fun. We've already have the answer on Blend: BB10 users don't even use Blend in enough numbers to make it worth a port to Android.
    10-26-16 05:44 PM
    I've been thinking of getting back into teaching mobile app development. I'm thinking of doing this as a free afterschool program as a part of a series that my company already sponsors.

The calculator feels like a nice one to tackle in the class. What are your favorite features in BB Calculator?
    Mecca EL and BigBadWulf like this.
    10-26-16 06:28 PM
    Story Maker
    BlackBerry Express
    Blend
    File Manager
    Peek/Flow
    BlackBerry 10 Browser
    Picture / video App
    Remember
    Gestures
    BB10 UI
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-26-16 07:32 PM
    They've already ported Hub, Password Keeper, etc.
    10-26-16 07:32 PM
    Remember: on BB10, it's all in one. On Android, we have tasks and notes but they don't have the same capability.

The Task and Note app by BlackBerry for android devices is vastly superior than its BB10 counterpart.
    10-26-16 07:37 PM
    I've been thinking of getting back into teaching mobile app development. I'm thinking of doing this as a free afterschool program as a part of a series that my company already sponsors.

The calculator feels like a nice one to tackle in the class. What are your favorite features in BB Calculator?
    Man, if you can pull this off, it would be awesome!!! The entire layout and swipe functionality. I don't care about the Tips tab, but the Converter and swiping the virtual faces was effective.
    10-26-16 07:41 PM
    I'd love to see something similar to Blend. The Blackberry version of Docs-to-go would be nice to have.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-16 07:41 PM
    Blackberry Community App: because I can't keep up with Blackberry news - and I don't like twitter.
    I agree with all the items on your list but i find this one funny cause I don't think there's much newsworthy stuff to report on blackberry. unless you're some sort of groupie that gets excited by anything they do. I read bb news daily but I could read them once a month and catchup on everything in 10 minutes.

10-26-16 07:44 PM
    The Task and Note app by BlackBerry for android devices is vastly superior than its BB10 counterpart.
    How? First off, on bb10 there was one app and now we need 2. Second, the android versions can't access folders on exchange accounts - just tags.

10-26-16 07:46 PM
    Man, if you can pull this off, it would be awesome!!! The entire layout and swipe functionality. I don't care about the Tips tab, but the Converter and swiping the virtual faces was effective.
    How important is the actual graphics design? We can't reproduce that exactly without basically stealing.

Also I haven't plugged in my Passport in like a year and I don't even know if it's here or the office. Does anyone have a video of the app in action that I can look at tonight?
    10-26-16 07:52 PM
    They've already ported Hub, Password Keeper, etc.
    I thought you were talking about new apps. Obviously BB thought those two were essential to their brand on Android, with Password Keeper its in keeping with security, the others not so much.
    10-26-16 07:59 PM
    I thought you were talking about new apps. Obviously BB thought those two were essential to their brand on Android, with Password Keeper its in keeping with security, the others not so much.
    Are you here to participate with some good suggestions, or just to whiz on wheaties? There's plenty of threads available already to discuss BlackBerry shortcomings. Keep this one on topic please.

I think to encourage BBOS and BB10 users to adopt GooBerry, they need a transfer app that includes the entire experience. I know browser bookmarks are missing. Not sure about learned words, word substitute, profiles, etc.
    10-26-16 08:38 PM
    Are you here to participate with some good suggestions, or just to whiz on wheaties? There's plenty of threads available already to discuss BlackBerry shortcomings. Keep this one on topic please.

I think to encourage BBOS and BB10 users to adopt GooBerry, they need a transfer app that includes the entire experience. I know browser bookmarks are missing. Not sure about learned words, word substitute, profiles, etc.
    It is on topic. The topic being that BB should make all its BB10 apps for Android. If one desires to unicorn and don't see the economic realities on why this isn't the case then so be it. A better transfer app is a good suggestion but even Android to Android transfers are lacking so its must be even harder to make one for one OS to another.
    10-26-16 08:42 PM
    - BlackBerry Blend - Because nothing really compares to it on Android. You can hack some junk together but it's still not the same. This is actually one stop where BlackBerry COULD differentiate.
    How is Airdroid? I've never used it, though it seems like a viable alternative?
    10-26-16 08:54 PM
    It is on topic. The topic being that BB should make all its BB10 apps for Android. If one desires to unicorn and don't see the economic realities on why this isn't the case then so be it. A better transfer app is a good suggestion but even Android to Android transfers are lacking so its must be even harder to make one for one OS to another.
    The topic is "Which BB10 Apps Should BlackBerry Port to Android". "Whether" would be a different topic. Debating an apps value, or pointing to an android app that's better is on point.

I've spoken with insiders. Transfering bookmarks shouldn't be difficult. Other items, possibly so. Auto text had that problem going from 6 to 7. I spent a lot of time trying to help them fix that, to no avail. Still nice to dream.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    10-26-16 08:55 PM
    I've spoken with insiders. Transfering bookmarks shouldn't be difficult. Other items, possibly so. Auto text had that problem going from 6 to 7. I spent a lot of time trying to help them fix that, to no avail. Still nice to dream.
    My understanding on bookmarks is that BB doesn't even have an export API for bookmarks probably due to security reasons. Again a resource issue to build more functionality into the OS/browser just for the purpose of export/transfer to Android.
    10-26-16 09:07 PM
    There's a few in that list I would like to see if for nothing else, so people would stop asking for them. Especially the stuff BlackBerry actually spent money on to acquire lol.

- BlackBerry Pictures App - I want this just so people stop asking. It was a nice, simple app for people.
    - BlackBerry File Manager - Again, solely so people stop asking about it.
    - BlackBerry Store Maker - BlackBerry spent money on acquiring the company behind this, just re-build it and it's a good app.
    The File Manager on OS10 is the only one I've seen that features Dropbox, Box and OneDrive in one place. Not to mention the PC synced via Link.
    10-26-16 09:11 PM
    My understanding on bookmarks is that BB doesn't even have an export API for bookmarks probably due to security reasons. Again a resource issue to build more functionality into the OS/browser just for the purpose of export/transfer to Android.
    True, it's a locked API issue. Could easily be done with CSV if opened, and allow 3rd party apps to also execute a backup for BB10 users. Realistically, BlackBerry could keep it locked, but access it themselves for migrating consumers and prosumers. Still, not technically an existing app they can port, but at least we're engaged in useful discussion.

How about BlackBerry Virtual Expert? Is there a comparable app available for Android?
    10-26-16 10:00 PM
65 123