I`m posting this thread as I was reading on another, "has anyone seen a BB10 ad on television?" I saw them on television, cinema and on boards. And each one was as meaningless as the last. To the casual punter they were just ads pushing the same old tech keyboard phones that nobody wants anymore. You couldn`t tell that here was something totally new, totally revolutionary and more importantly, arguably equal or better than Apple and Android (which is no small task). Everyone bashes BB`s lack of apps? What lack? You can side load pretty much what you want. Why is this never mentioned? An OS that uses another OS and you don`t mention it? Heres an easy one. Big picture of a Z10 with a screen showing Netflix, Instagram and all the other "killer" apps on it with the title " Did we mention its got Android?" is it that hard? Or maybe getting Alicia Keys on the payroll took all the cash? What did she even do?

I just find it unpalatable that BlackBerry spent all this time and energy to reinvent themselves (which they did) and then hardly told anyone about it. Very odd.
    10-14-13 12:02 PM
    That was my problem with the advertising campaign as well. Yes, they showed that new BB devices were available, but nothing that stated these devices were nothing like the BB devices of old. To the casual observer there was nothing eye catching at all. I did like how they advertised heavily while watching online content though. Like when I was streaming shows from the CBS website there was a BlackBerry commercial at every break. Those seemed to have stopped, though.
    10-14-13 01:02 PM
    I`m posting this thread as I was reading on another, "has anyone seen a BB10 ad on television?" I saw them on television, cinema and on boards. And each one was as meaningless as the last. To the casual punter they were just ads pushing the same old tech keyboard phones that nobody wants anymore. You couldn`t tell that here was something totally new, totally revolutionary and more importantly, arguably equal or better than Apple and Android (which is no small task). Everyone bashes BB`s lack of apps? What lack? You can side load pretty much what you want. Why is this never mentioned? An OS that uses another OS and you don`t mention it? Heres an easy one. Big picture of a Z10 with a screen showing Netflix, Instagram and all the other "killer" apps on it with the title " Did we mention its got Android?" is it that hard? Or maybe getting Alicia Keys on the payroll took all the cash? What did she even do?

I just find it unpalatable that BlackBerry spent all this time and energy to reinvent themselves (which they did) and then hardly told anyone about it. Very odd.
    Did you realise that saying that BB users should go to Android to get their apps might not be the best marketing strategy? I don't want to sideload apps, I want to get them in BW. Just like I get them in the Play Store. Just like I get them in the App Store.
    10-14-13 01:04 PM
    Side loading is meant for testing purposes and should not be advertised. Especially for certain apps, which could lead to legal troubles...
    10-14-13 01:07 PM
    Did you realise that saying that BB users should go to Android to get their apps might not be the best marketing strategy? I don't want to sideload apps, I want to get them in BW. Just like I get them in the Play Store. Just like I get them in the App Store.
    +1

Side loading is a solution for techies or tinker-ers. Not for the thousands of 40, 50, 60 year old folk to whom that stuff goes way over their head.

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    tmanthib likes this.
    10-14-13 01:09 PM
    As already noted, BBRY cannot and should not advertise sideloading.

And BB10 does not "have/got Android" so it makes sense that that isn't advertised either.
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-14-13 01:12 PM
    Side loading is a solution for techies or tinker-ers. Not for the thousands of 40, 50, 60 year old folk to whom that stuff goes way over their head.
    Ouch. Careful there ya young whippersnapper... I'm 40 years old and have all kinds of side loaded apps!

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.0.1767 | Bell via CB10
    tmanthib, jpvj and R Field like this.
    10-14-13 01:17 PM
    Ouch. Careful there ya young whippersnapper... I'm 40 years old and have all kinds of side loaded apps!

Z10 STL100-3 | 10.2.0.1767 | Bell via CB10
    True, and occasionally man bites dog. But generally speaking, dogs bite people, not the other way around. and generally speaking, most users don't view "side loading" as a customer-friendly solution to the problem of missing apps.
    bobauckland likes this.
    10-14-13 01:25 PM
    Do you realise that saying to BB users that the apps you want are missing, probably never coming and half the ones present are made by some outfit in Taiwan called S4BB might not be the best marketing strategy? Thats pretty much the message now. I don`t want to sideload apps either, I`d rather get them from BW, however when I get there that cupboards pretty bare. Alls I`m saying is that there is a way to get the apps you want on your Z10, its not that hard and, more importantly, might make someone buy one.
    10-14-13 03:00 PM
    +1

Night Radio Show Tune-In and Discussion: C0012487D Q&A with an Ex-Mormon/LDS: C00121BDD
    Hey! Easy on us 60 year olds! I'm 63 and I have side loaded android apps on my phone. I am no techie, by any stretch of the imagination, so if I can learn to do this simple process, so can others.

Like my Daddy used to say (which is a Maverick reference you may be too young to understand), "Just because there's snow on the roof doesn't mean there isn't a fire in the furnace."

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    blicked, canuckvoip and R Field like this.
    10-14-13 03:16 PM
    +1

Bwahahahahaha!
    Amazing that you think a certain age is required for sideloading. Ha! I'm 57 BTW and know a thing or two about tech sonny.
    :>)
    10-14-13 03:26 PM
    LOL... clearly, age isn't a true barrier to learning things like sideloading. The urge or willingness to just might be though.
    10-14-13 03:33 PM
    Well since I'm on the wrong side of 40 I should give up my IT job I guess....

Sent from my beautiful white iPhone 5 on iOS7 using Tapatalk
    10-15-13 04:09 AM
    Cool.
    I think OP is a double agent.
    He's giving an idea for someone to come out with an idea of pulling age on fellow crackberrians.

Lol.. JK, OP and campbecw.

Back to the topic, i'm sure frank b should get punish for his job not done.
    I saw only a few BB exec who are active updating or responding to subscribers especially on bbm channel. What happen to the rest? Too afraid to get backlash for not getting job well done?
    10-15-13 06:29 AM
    To all those responding to my ages ranges for "average user who won't use sideloading" I'll note that that likely excludes any users on this forum. When I meet a dozen bb10 users in a week, who come through our store and ask about certain apps, for the *vast* majority of them (who are older, and who don't follow BlackBerry or CB religiously) do not accept or understand sideloading as an option. It's the same as loading custom roms on Android. A solution, yes, but not a joe-blow consumer facing solution.

10-17-13 04:46 AM