Anyone else surprised that there hasn't been any commercials/ads out yet advertising BB10? I just figured they would start advertising now, and showing the actual devices since it's about a month away. The last big advertising I remember RIM doing was for the Torch 9800..the commercial was on non-stop and ads for it were everywhere even a couple of months before it's release. No biggie to me, I was just wondering/curious/anxious!
    12-29-12 07:50 AM
    I've wondered the same thing but honestly I think RIM is getting all the free marketing right now it wants. As my Mamma used to say: Why buy the cow when you can get the milk free?
    12-29-12 07:56 AM
    There has been. There have been full Page adds in major media. Web add, and emails. Most recently to mlb.com subscribers
    Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the did adds in the wsj and nytimes
    12-29-12 07:58 AM
    There will not be a lot of TV ads until after Jan 30th. Before then, mainly twitter, Youtube and newspapers. I think the NYTimes ads were in reaction to the article they had about people being embarrassed about owning a BB.
    12-29-12 08:05 AM
    I have wondered the same. Looking at a recent interview with RIM's CMO, I realize their marketing strategy is "show" more than "tell". I like this idea because it is better to get the product in the hands of consumers than pushing a bunch of commercials. From what I have seen and read, 120 businesses and governments are pilot testing BB10 (65 of them are fortune 500 companies). They are putting the devices in the hands of the right people. Their TV presence will probably kick off after the lunch.

One good thing about RIM is they have a very loyal customer base so they have very good potential to pull customers from other platforms in addition to the loyal customers that are going to buy the device anyway. They have a very good chance to pull those Android customers that once were Blackberry customers. I have seen many current Android and Apple customers say that they only changed devices because Blackberry was missing maybe one or two features. Many concerns are addressed in BB10 and more! The next two months will be exciting.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    12-29-12 08:48 AM
    I was hoping that they sponsor the New Years Eve event in Times Square like they did last year, though I've seen nothing to suggest that they will. Nivea, Philips, and Toshiba seem to be the big sponsors this year. I suppose that it didn't fit with their strategy. A shame, really.
    12-29-12 09:50 AM
    They have been advertising, just not on TV. There is a post out on the front page here the MLB sent out an ad from RIM about BB10. There was the NY Times ad buy. I get BB10 ads on webpages that find out what my likes are. It's started. They are trying to get folks attention to the fact a new BB is coming in places they frequent. It's a good strategy at this time.
    12-29-12 09:53 AM
    They want a bang on January 30th, so they can't reveal anything great until then. They have been sending out e-mails and have a web page showing off some things so they are doing some ads. Shouldn't have tv ads until product is close to being available.
    12-29-12 10:00 AM