I know it sucks, but the delay is not a surprise and not a big one. Developers knew that the SDK was not ready even now. That tells you alot. However, there is still alot of interest in the platform despite the tools not even being ready. The tools are great when they are ready.

I understand that for those of you who have been wanting to upgrade, it sucks, but just save your money for 3 months and get it when it comes in 2013.

Cash flow is good, and international sales are good (yeah blah blah) so I don't think the 3 month delay will be a killer.

Bad media cycle has not been broken though. That is a failure for sure.

Just my opinion. Its a desert they are crossing. There is no water along the way. Shoot the colleagues for food along the way (-5,000 employees, good move Heins). Only the strong innovative and current will be left.
    jthep likes this.
    06-28-12 05:45 PM
    how are international sales good?, overall sales are less than 50% of what they were a year ago, and it wasn't good then. by the time bb10 comes out, assuming it comes out in Q1 2013, which i don't think it will, but lets say it does. the length of duration from hardware factor to delay to launch will have seen 2 iOS updates and 4 android OS updates. do you think the device they're "readying" now will still be relevant as competition in 2013? all the public has seen are packaged demos of examples of features on the OS, the public has not seen the actual OS. i think they're treading water until it drains far enough the sharks are willing to come up for a bite. i don't see bb10 actually ever being released.
    06-28-12 05:49 PM
    how are international sales good?, overall sales are less than 50% of what they were a year ago, and it wasn't good then. by the time bb10 comes out, assuming it comes out in Q1 2013, which i don't think it will, but lets say it does. the length of duration from hardware factor to delay to launch will have seen 2 iOS updates and 4 android OS updates. do you think the device they're "readying" now will still be relevant as competition in 2013? all the public has seen are packaged demos of examples of features on the OS, the public has not seen the actual OS. i think they're treading water until it drains far enough the sharks are willing to come up for a bite. i don't see bb10 actually ever being released.
    Agreed 100%, it's nice to see someone intelligent here who is not 1 of 2 other groups of people on these forums - trolls with an agenda to push another platform / laugh at the poor progress of RIMM and the other group of ignorant, arrogant fanboys who ignore reality and facts.

RIMM is too small to compete on a serious level with the huge giants in the game today - they should have focused on lower end phones in developing countries or enterprise software to manage other platforms.
    06-28-12 05:59 PM
    RIM is done. I can see them going under or being sold before anyone ever sees bb10. Once again late to the game.
    MisterPuzzler likes this.
    06-28-12 06:03 PM
    I'm not surprised. RIM has never been on time with releases. Waiting until 2013 is awful. Most people are gonna move on and not wait around for a phone from a sinking company. Can u really blame them?

I love my 9930 and can't upgrade til 2013 anyway. I'll be waiting to see how all this turns out, but its not looking good

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-28-12 06:05 PM
    Could somebody answer me one thing. With the expection of BB10 due out at the end of this year (no specific date noted) which was stated at BB World why did RIM choose now to disclose the delay.

I mean normally with project timelines, you may see that you're going to be late but you make every effort to hit that target date.. and sometimes you miss. Why with 6 more months in the schedule would you pick this quarterly earnings report to tell everyone who's waiting with baited-breathe for BB10 that you're going to be late? They must expect people on the edge to jump ship...

Are they trying to drive their own stocks down or something?
    06-28-12 06:14 PM
    Most people in the US have moved on, I don't think that is an issue. Delays are common in the tech world but it still looks like crap. I am in the same boat I just bought a 9860 and will have it until well into 2013. No big deal to me but the longer RIM twist on a vine the more difficult it will be to climb up the mountain. I do not think they can or need to compete with google, MS, and apple. They can be profitable with out outsell everyone but they actually have to do something like maybe market what they got, release BB10, something. I have never seen such a anemic marketing strategy from a big corp. It's run like a mom and pop store.
    06-28-12 06:19 PM
    Your are right. Seems very strange. I was wondering that my self. First down and your punting the ball.
    06-28-12 06:23 PM
    On the bright side, it will have been so long since RIM launched a flagship device in the United States that there may actually be lines outside the stores for their phones. August 2011 is when the Bold 9900/9930 launched. Over a year to launch a flagship phone is an eternity.

I thought at least RIM would confirm that BB10 was on schedule, like Thorsten said in the previous earnings call. When I think about it, it really is quite amazing how quickly RIM went from being on top of the world to being an afterthought in the smartphone market.
    06-28-12 06:53 PM
    06-28-12 07:09 PM
    Shoot the colleagues for food along the way (-5,000 employees, good move Heins). Only the strong innovative and current will be left.
    If only the strong, innovative, and current of the employees remained then BlackBerry 10 would have been ready for release in July/August 2012 in an innovative form-factor. Strike 1 RIM.
    06-28-12 08:28 PM
    I know it sucks, but the delay is not a surprise and not a big one.
    Say what? I, for one, really believed that it would be out before the end of this year. The delay, for me, was a huuuge surprise. Face it, they had the vast majority of us fooled.
    06-28-12 08:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD