I was originally talking about THIS SITE, not once did I talk about the BB userbase overall. You assumed I meant the general BB public and went with it.. I was not. This is YOUR bad, not mine.
    Actually, no. Let's look at our initial interaction on this thread:

It can, and does it well if you jailbreak it.
    Yeah, but... most normal folk don't jailbreak their iPhones.
    You were talking about the capabilities of the iPhone if it's jailbroken which is person or group inspecific. I replied stating from the gate that "normal folk" don't jailbreak their iPhones. I made the subject "normal folks," which you must have missed. That's YOUR bad, dude.
    05-27-09 12:57 PM
    Please man, PLEASE backup your claims.
    There's nothing to back up. Until you can prove that all iPhone users jailbreak their phones, or all BlackBerry users install leaked betas, it is patently wrong to assume that all users jailbreak their phones or install leaked betas.

I personally know at least 25 BlackBerry users who have never installed a leaked beta. I personally know at least 15 iPhone users who have not jailbroken their phone. The existence of those numbers alone blows the assumption that all users jailbreak their phones or install leaked betas.
    05-27-09 01:00 PM
    sniffs and iamtim need to stop bickering this thread is about an article not the baseless facts the two of you are spitting at each other. Both of your experiences with iPhones and Blackberries don't really amount to anything as both of you have limited knowledge about user experiences, if any

and sniffs....jailbreaking is on par with installing a leaked OS, so if you want to be techincal about it. Out of the box an iPhone does NOT multitask. Out of the box a blackberry DOES multitask, and quite well.
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 05-27-09 at 01:16 PM.
    05-27-09 01:12 PM
    sniffs and iamtim need to stop bickering this thread is about an article not the baseless facts the two of you are spitting at each other. Both of your experiences with iPhones and Blackberries don't really amount to anything as both of you have limited knowledge about user experiences, if any

and sniffs....jailbreaking is on par with installing a leaked OS, so if you want to be techincal about it. Out of the box an iPhone does NOT multitask. Out of the box a blackberry DOES multitask, and quite well.
    Well if you really want to get technical, quite well is quite subjective... My 8330 certainly doesn't fall under that category.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-09 01:21 PM
    Well if you really want to get technical, quite well is quite subjective... My 8330 certainly doesn't fall under that category.

That's fine. But it multitasks, doesn't it? Which was my point. And who knows I could use your phone and think it multitasks fine. Depends on what ones definition of "well" is. Maybe if the 8330 had an App Switcher (I don't know if it does or doesn't but my Pearl didn't I don't think)
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 05-27-09 at 01:25 PM.
    05-27-09 01:23 PM
    I am sorry, this guy is an *****....I can't finish this article. Everyday there is another person on crackberry dropping their iphones to go to Blackberry, many are RETURNING to their Blackberry because they didn't like their iphone. The ONLY good thing that the iphone has is youtube but so what? I don't use my phone to view youtube.
    05-27-09 01:29 PM
    I am sorry, this guy is an *****....I can't finish this article. Everyday there is another person on crackberry dropping their iphones to go to Blackberry, many are RETURNING to their Blackberry because they didn't like their iphone. The ONLY good thing that the iphone has is youtube but so what? I don't use my phone to view youtube.
    Besides the fact that you won't be able to prove what you just said, the iPhone deserves it's props for having many apps that allow it to do more than just youtube.

Anyone that makes claims regarding the "amount of people that...." should add a disclaimer to the end of their posts stating that, eventhough they just made a very bold claim that may appear true when commenting on an enthusiasts forum for a specific product, they can not prove said statements made if necessary. Only responses with more personal bias will be used.
    Last edited by TheComebackKidd; 05-27-09 at 01:34 PM.
    05-27-09 01:31 PM
    It reminds of an article I read once from a guy who replaced his main office computer with Mac. To sum up his entire article......"it doesn't do things exactly like a PC".

Having never used an iPhone (played around with my son's Instinct and I am not into touch screen phones) and new to Blackberries (1 week), I am sure both can do anything you need them to, they will just do it different.

BTW....4 years ago switched over to using Macs and have been involved in many of the VS discussions, it's all preference.
    05-27-09 01:34 PM
    It reminds of an article I read once from a guy who replaced his main office computer with Mac. To sum up his entire article......"it doesn't do things exactly like a PC".

Having never used an iPhone (played around with my son's Instinct and I am not into touch screen phones) and new to Blackberries (1 week), I am sure both can do anything you need them to, they will just do it different.

BTW....4 years ago switched over to using Macs and have been involved in many of the VS discussions, it's all preference.
    Now THAT'S some truth people on this forum should be speaking.

Can anyone tell me what, out of the box, an iPhone DOES (not what apps it has on it, just functionality) that a Blackberry Storm can't?
    05-27-09 01:37 PM

I think jail breaking and installing a leaked OS are two opposite things that have the same purpose: enhanced a users experience.

But to me loading a beta OS is trouble shooting your bb since the os itself is made by RIM. You are not changing the actual code or anything like that. You just loading something that you carrier does not approve or will or might approve.

Even a hybrid OS is still different from a hack since it is just Frankenstein RIM os. Does not compromise the device it self.

As for jailbreaking an iphone it is different; you are actually lunch a hack that can compromise the os of the iphone. Which is to me a stiff price to do; so that I can have added functionality on the device.

As for the the article itself all I can say is that the the only way to increase your readership base is to write XXX VS XXX is not a good sign of a good critic. It is too easy to do and does not take to much effort.
    Last edited by Ronindan; 05-27-09 at 01:44 PM.
    05-27-09 01:41 PM
    I hate to get involved in this, but after reading pages of this argument, I HAVE to post out of sheer frustration.

iamtim is CLEARLY in the right here. The quotes show that the entire argument was based on whether the average iPhone user jailbreaks their phone... and whether the average BB user loads a leaked OS.

I don't think ANYONE needs proof to understand that the vast majority of iPhone users do not run their iPhones jailbroken, and the vast majority of BB users do not run leaked OSs.

You may well get a distorted picture of this from CrackBerry, as it is (as someone earlier said) an enthusiast site. Look at the name alone - CRACKBerry! Clearly we are all more involved in our phones than the average, normal BB user.

It's absurd to ask for any sort of evidence to prove that the normal iPhone user and normal BB user do not run jailbroken/leaked OS versions of firmware on their phones.

I can't believe that argument went on so long, S3th13, I give you credit for being able to carry a clearly defeated argument out over multiple pages, and actually hold it up without collapsing completely. However, the fact remains, you're still wrong.

The majority of iPhones out there do not multitask.

The majority of BlackBerry phones out there multitask.

You might say that BlackBerries do a POOR job of multitasking.
    However, it's still BETTER than the iPhone which DOES NOT multitask.

I'd rather have a blanket that does a poor job of keeping me warm than have no blanket at all. Does that analogy make sense to everyone or is it only making sense in my head? lol

Anyway, yes, this article does seem biased, and I have to tell you that I have only JUST gotten my first BlackBerry (Storm) in February of this year... before that, I would have done ANYTHING for an iPhone... but I was stuck on Verizon. I can now easily say that even if the iPhone comes to Verizon, I will stick with BlackBerry. I'm hoping to end up with a Storm 2 that will fix many of the issues on Storm 1, but even if I was stuck with a Storm 1, I'd take it over an iPhone.

You might disagree with me... and that's fine. That's what makes the free market boom! Different opinions! But all I'm doing is saying that I disagree with the reviewer... the same thing you'd be doing with me

All in all, both phones are awesome pieces of technology. I'm glad our world has come so far as to offer phones that do as much as either of them do. However, at the end of the day, when I pick out my phone, I want one that has features RIM gives.

I'm a consumer-user, not a business-user... but for those business users out there, you may want to consider this artcile, which rates the BlackBerry a 100%, 4/4 on all 4 security evaluations, and the iPhone an average of 1.5 out of 4 in the 4 categories. That breaks down to iPhone security at 37.5% and BlackBerry security at 100%.

Which would you pick if it was YOUR company's important data?
    05-27-09 01:42 PM
    I think jail braking and installing a leaked OS are two opposite things that have the same purpose: enhanced a users experience.

But to me loading a beta OS is trouble shooting your bb since the os itself is made by RIM. You are not changing the actual code or anything like that. You just loading something that you carrier does not approve or will or might approve.

Even a hybrid OS is still different from a hack since it is just Frankenstein RIM os. Does not compromise the device it self.

As for jailbraking an iphone is different; you are actually luch a hack that can coprpimse the os of the iphone. Which is to me a stiff price to do; so that I can have added functionality on the device.

As for the the article itself all I can say is that the the only way to increase your readership base is to write XXX VS XXX is not a good sign of a good critic. It is too easy to do and does take to much effort.
    I agree. I should have been more specific but you said it for me. Jailbreaking and installing a leaked OS are related in their attempt to enhance the user experience
    05-27-09 01:44 PM
    Now THAT'S some truth people on this forum should be speaking.

Can anyone tell me what, out of the box, an iPhone DOES (not what apps it has on it, just functionality) that a Blackberry Storm can't?
    I don't own an iPhone, but to my knowledge, it supports flick scrolling, gesture zooming, and OpenGL. 3 things the Storm doesn't. The Storm DOES have flick scrolling recognition (available in 3rd party apps), but no OS that runs on it supports it within the OS, plus it sounded like you wanted OS/phone features, not app features.

There may be other things, but I'm not sure.

There are also things the Storm does that the iPhone doesn't do out of the box (security!, MMS messages, BlackBerry Messenger, push email, convenience keys, I'm sure there are more I don't know of), so like so many before me have said, it's truly a balancing act - pick what's right for you...
    05-27-09 01:47 PM
    http://web.mac.com/mardelibre/Lopez_...20May%2009.pdf

Check out the article as posted on CB's homepage earlier today. Great breakdown of security comparisons between BlackBerry platform, iPhone platform, and WinMo platform.
    05-27-09 01:49 PM
    sniffs and iamtim need to stop bickering
    You are 100% correct. My apologies for cluttering the thread.
    05-27-09 01:53 PM

I can't believe that argument went on so long, S3th13, I give you credit for being able to carry a clearly defeated argument out over multiple pages, and actually hold it up without collapsing completely. However, the fact remains, you're still wrong.

Which would you pick if it was YOUR company's important data?
    Clearly defeated? I wasn't arguing against anyone when I made my original point. I was merely stating that I'm going to take jailbreaking into account as should any other user on this site who feels like they may want to go that route. It just annoys me when everyone on this site defends their blackberries down to the last battery pull. There are some glaring problems with several OSs and devices that no one will acknowledge. They also jump on anyone who has a jailbroken iPhone with the comment that "well the average user isn't going to jailbreak," but seem to not understand that the user HAS a jailbroken iphone or the capability to do so if they chose, which gives validity to the statement that their phone is more functional than the blackberry. . I was never argueing that average BB or iPhone users install Beta OSs or try to jailbreak. You might have confused me with the other person who was "bickering" with iamtim.

/done
    05-27-09 02:28 PM
    Clearly defeated? I wasn't arguing against anyone when I made my original point. I was merely stating that I'm going to take jailbreaking into account as should any other user on this site who feels like they may want to go that route. It just annoys me when everyone on this site defends their blackberries down to the last battery pull. There are some glaring problems with several OSs and devices that no one will acknowledge. They also jump on anyone who has a jailbroken iPhone with the comment that "well the average user isn't going to jailbreak," but seem to not understand that the user HAS a jailbroken iphone or the capability to do so if they chose, which gives validity to the statement that their phone is more functional than the blackberry. . I was never argueing that average BB or iPhone users install Beta OSs or try to jailbreak. You might have confused me with the other person who was "bickering" with iamtim.

/done
    I for one very much agree with your original post.

And I hope you're referring to sniffs and not me lol
    05-27-09 02:34 PM
67 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD