My wife has a Samsung Captivate on ATT. The more I help her on her phone the more I lose the desire to have an Android phone.

Take for example doing a back up. I Google, how update Samsung Captivate. I got alot of hits saying first you need to Root the phone....

Well heck no, not doing that.

Then hits saying go buy this app if you have to back up,

maybe there are built in ways but finding them is not easy.

More and more I feel the love for BB!

BB just seems more user friendly, more power to modify and set up.

I'm waiting for TMobile to start selling the new Bold touch screem seems to be where I'm aheaded, my wife used to have one of the older wide screen Bolds and she says she really liked it, she may dump the Captivate and switch back to the new Bold wide/touch screen too. I hope so 'cause I'd like to be able to use BB Messenger with her. I also hope RIM makes BB Messenger universal so I can use it with family who don't have BB's.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    07-02-11 09:51 AM
    I agree, out of the box, BB's are more user friendly. Androids you have to setup a bunch of things to really make it how you want it.

If tech savvy, then Android is a smart decision as rooting, which really isn't that hard opens up the device. It is much like changing out OS's on BB's....

Overall, for me, I still perfer BB's OS. Just seems more fluid. I hated going to the Android Market and trying to find an app or search one, which brought up tons of apps of the same type. Then sit there read reviews or try each one to see which one was the best. F-that, better stuff to do in my life, lol!

I can go on an on for what works best for me, but in the end it is your decision, but sounds like BB is for ya!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-02-11 09:59 AM
    Yep... I think OP would be happier with a BB. Use what works for you.
    07-02-11 10:24 AM
    I am over the moon for the concept of the Bold Touch. I'll probably be going with the Storm 3.
    07-02-11 05:22 PM
    My wife has a Samsung Captivate on AAT. The more I help her on her phone the more I lose the desire to have an Android phone.

Take for example doing a back up. I Google, how update Samsung Captivate. I got alot of hits saying first you need to Root the phone....

Welll heck no, not doing that.

Then hits saying go but this app if you have to back up,

I'm waiting for TMobile to start selling the new Bold touch screem seems to be where I'm aheaded, my wife used to have one of the older wide screen Bolds and she says she really liked it, she may dump the Captivate and switch back to the new Bold wide/touch screen too. I hope so 'cause I'd like to be able to use BB Messenger with her. I also hope RIM makes BB Messenger universal so I can use it with family who don't have BB's.
    what are you trying to use to backup? titanium back up? that's a root only app, if you don't have root it's totally useless so delete it. there are plenty of non-root ways to back up, and google automatically backs up all of your data and apps without doing anything. android is rather friendly but it sounds like you don't really know what you're doing. bb's are plenty user friendly also, altho my mom never really grasped how to use a bb but gets around on her android fluidly. as far as customizing goes, you can't really argue that android has the upper hand there can you? you can install OS's and kernels for android that are entirely user built. there isn't anything remotely close to this on BB and never will be.
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-02-11 05:43 PM
    Android has taken over the #1 slot in market share. Not sure if this is because of the hardware, software, or a combination of the two. I was testing the 4G (actually lack thereof) at the local ATT shop and speedtest.net had apps for only IOS and Android. This makes me wonder what I am doing with a Blackberry. I have been happy with the seemless integration of communication apps (GV, G-maps, G-mail, BBM) and my relatives abroad all use BBM.

That being said, I like the large bright displays offered by the HTC Inspire \ Samsung Infuse. I am leaning now in this direction because I would like 4G data and a large (4" plus) display. Does RIM have something in the works for someone eyeing the Samsung Infuse? I am not sure that the Storm 2 measures up. Hopefully, RIM has a model that is compelling for me to stay!

I have invested a signifcant effort learning Blackberry usage and cringe at the thought of going through another learning curve.
    Last edited by gatorback; 07-03-11 at 02:20 AM.
    07-03-11 02:17 AM
    Its kind of hard to compare the two... its like comparing a Ferrari to a Bentley... both are quite similar in price range, but they are meant for completely different people (unless of course you can afford both )

Regardless, Android devices are great, big colorful screens, fun animations, more apps, bigger 'appeal' / flashy factor, some are 4G capable. Plus, you will get a very nice mobile browsing experience.

But, the reason I picked Blackberry over Android was mainly because of BBM (I have a BUNCH of friends with BBs), the user friendly UI (and of course the ability to download themes!), the messaging system (being able to have separate email folders, but also a messaging folder with emails, texts, bbms, facebook, twitter messages, and MORE.. basically everything in one place), the fast email push, and now the keyboard (I started with a Storm and Storm2, but my Bold had made me LOVE the keyboard). Also, while BB's browser may be lacking, its in no way bad, and its good enough to browse effectively.
    07-03-11 03:12 AM
    My wife has a Samsung Captivate on AAT. The more I help her on her phone the more I lose the desire to have an Android phone.

Welll heck no, not doing that.

Then hits saying go but this app if you have to back up,

Like someone said, Android Auto backs up and not limited to : Contacts, Calendar, email, music, apps already downloaded and app settings(locally)
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-03-11 09:05 AM
    Android is the PC of mobile phones. It's very customizable (although it can take some techie skills) and the apps are amazing. It really puts to shame the quality of apps available for blackberry.

BUT... my blackberry is one bad-azz messaging machine and I love it for that!
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-03-11 10:11 AM
    I got a android work phone and i love it. Have had blackberry for years and i am diggin everything with this OS. One big thing i like is being able to take different types of pictures. Blackberry camera settings suck. This thing lets you take panoramic pics, black n white, and all different types. I like how i can switch been screens and see different things. The apps are great.

I just like the look and overall feel. Will see how it goes over time
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-03-11 03:03 PM
    Android has taken over the #1 slot in market share. Not sure if this is because of the hardware, software, or a combination of the two. I was testing the 4G (actually lack thereof) at the local ATT shop and speedtest.net had apps for only IOS and Android. This makes me wonder what I am doing with a Blackberry. I have been happy with the seemless integration of communication apps (GV, G-maps, G-mail, BBM) and my relatives abroad all use BBM.

That being said, I like the large bright displays offered by the HTC Inspire \ Samsung Infuse. I am leaning now in this direction because I would like 4G data and a large (4" plus) display. Does RIM have something in the works for someone eyeing the Samsung Infuse? I am not sure that the Storm 2 measures up. Hopefully, RIM has a model that is compelling for me to stay!

I have invested a signifcant effort learning Blackberry usage and cringe at the thought of going through another learning curve.
    Keep in mind if you are considering any AT&T devices that what they call "4G" is really only HSPA+. They are beginning to roll out LTE, but that will not really get going until next year. Even the first LTE devices will not meet the ITU's standard for 4G, but they will be faster than HSPA+.
    07-03-11 03:10 PM
    I never knew there was a BB called the Bold wide.
    07-03-11 03:26 PM
    But, the reason I picked Blackberry over Android was mainly because of BBM (I have a BUNCH of friends with BBs),
    I'll be curious how many of those friends (who aren't using it because it's a "company" phone) end up moving off the BB platform and onto Android/iPhone over the next 12-18 months. Seems I've lost nearly all of my BB toting friends (except those few that have one provided to them for work purposes) in the past two years.
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-03-11 03:31 PM
    I'll be curious how many of those friends (who aren't using it because it's a "company" phone) end up moving off the BB platform and onto Android/iPhone over the next 12-18 months. Seems I've lost nearly all of my BB toting friends (except those few that have one provided to them for work purposes) in the past two years.
    That's what happened to me... my hundred or so BBM friends whittled down to 4.

Eventually, I decided to check out a new platform, and moved too.
    revo2001 likes this.
    07-03-11 05:13 PM
    For those leaving BB because their friends left BBM to Android, our Google Talk app works well. Everyone seems to be using WhatsApp these days and BB has that as well.
    07-03-11 06:17 PM
    For some reason , in West LA (and in the world of Hollywood) Blackberry is still really strong. Some of my friends even switched from iphone4s to BBs. I think one of my friends has an Android device and the rest is split BB to iphone like 60/40.

I was thinking of switching to android/iphone if bbm became universal, but when I really started thinking about it, I feel like I would regret my decision, especially because of the new devices coming soon. Android looks nice, but my moms Droid 2 is buggy and lags a bit (and believe me, my mom has very few apps and only really uses her phone for calling, texting and solitaire...). And I have an IPod touch 4 and ipad 3G I love them both, but wouldn't want to turn my ipod into a phone.

07-03-11 06:35 PM
    For those leaving BB because their friends left BBM to Android, our Google Talk app works well. Everyone seems to be using WhatsApp these days and BB has that as well.
    Wait till you use Google+, it has huddle, which will probably merge with Gtalk, anyway, it does group chat and delivered and read status

07-03-11 07:15 PM
    Get to know both devices, use the following to determine your likes and dislikes, then choose what you're used to the most. Be it battery life, touch screen or physical keyboard, memory card, replaceable battery, etc.

07-04-11 08:31 AM
    I had a Bold 9700 and wanted a touch screen so I bought a Captivate on ATT. After 4 days I returned it and bought my Torch. Best thing I did.
    07-04-11 08:48 AM
    i've had the Desire with froyo, went back to s60 3rd edition, and then bbOS5 then OS6. surely OS6 still doesn't have flashy interface, but it really serves me well enough. it's simplicity to get things done without much troubles. android has too much of customisation. iOS has TOO much of apps!
    07-04-11 11:26 AM
    My Style has far better voice quality than my sis-in-law's EVO, and I far prefer a qwerty keyboard. And for me, my primary need for a phone is to be a phone. And in that regard, BB wins hands down.
    balth and Jake Storm like this.
    07-04-11 02:56 PM
    I just bought a Nexus S to try Android out. There are a lot of things that are nice about the phone and the OS... but I still find BB to be more functional and efficient. What is currently killing the BB experience for me is the speed of the device and the lack of apps. What kills the Android experience for me is, in reality, the reliance on Google for everything. I'm a MS Office person and I like my Outlook. I just don't want to have to maintain Google contacts, calendar and notes plus Outlook contact, calendar and memos separately.

I could get used to everything else if I had to, even if a lot isn't as good as on a BB, but not the reliance on Google for storing everything.

Still have to try Windows Phone though. Out of all the other 3 platforms (iOS, Android, Windows), Windows is the only one I find interesting.
    07-04-11 07:15 PM
    I just bought a Nexus S to try Android out. There are a lot of things that are nice about the phone and the OS... but I still find BB to be more functional and efficient. What is currently killing the BB experience for me is the speed of the device and the lack of apps. What kills the Android experience for me is, in reality, the reliance on Google for everything. I'm a MS Office person and I like my Outlook. I just don't want to have to maintain Google contacts, calendar and notes plus Outlook contact, calendar and memos separately.

I could get used to everything else if I had to, even if a lot isn't as good as on a BB, but not the reliance on Google for storing everything.

Still have to try Windows Phone though. Out of all the other 3 platforms (iOS, Android, Windows), Windows is the only one I find interesting.
    why not just sync your outlook contacts to google, that way you can still manage them in outlook, this is entirely possible, and simple, so if you add, edit, delete outlook contacts/calendar it syncs to google, then syncs to your phone, there's a middle-man, but the outcome is the same, and you never really see it, it'll work in reverse too, edit/add on the phone and the result will show up in outlook
    07-04-11 07:18 PM
    Many company BBs (like mine) have BBM disabled. I do have it on my personal BB though but I know more people with iPhones at this point.
    07-04-11 07:33 PM

I like Windows phone and it works well with Office products BUT, the market app performance is horrible compared to the rest of the OS. The keyboard rivals iOS maybe better.
    07-05-11 12:49 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD