Headed to the Ukraine...I would like to get my email, text, and phone, just like I do currently in the usa.

Looking at picking up and unlocked tour - new. What does it take to setup my email, text, and phone? Do I have to find a special SIM card that will provide all 3 or do phone and text cards provide data too?

Can I put the SIM card in here in the states and get the new phone number prior to going over there?

Is the Tour a good phone for this or is there something else I should be looking for. Need phone, email, and text - with a local Ukraine number.

Help...! Thanks
    01-09-10 09:31 AM
    I can't speak to the Ukraine but you definitely will need to do research to find a SIM card that DOES ALL THOSE THINGS. From what I've read, most provide the PHONE services. Getting DATA on foreign sim cards seems a bit harder to come by.

I may be mistaken but also from readings, plopping a foreign sim card in the unit while in the US will not result in any service unless it is AT&T or Tmobile or whomever.

My limited experience is with using Verizon's OWN sim card in Europe this past summer. You can either just use it (they still need to be informed apparently????) and pay the normal VERY EXPENSIVE charges for calls and data or you can opt for their GLOBAL plan which makes data unlimited and brings calls down to a still expensive but cheaper 99 cents/minute (in/out). It replaces the normal monthly charge so ROUNDING, for a full month (they prorate), it costs $40/month over the normal BIS rate.

Other US carriers have similar "travel" plans from what I've read.

Again, getting DATA is the harder aspect from what I read, particularly for a short duration.

Have fun and report back with your info.
    01-09-10 10:22 AM
    Best bet is to first find out what frequency/technology is used in the Ukraine, likely GSM with european frequencies. If so, don't bother with a tour (unless you really want it), get a Bold 9000 or 9700 unlocked. If you are not looking into a provider here that will have you on BIS (you will have to pay for a BB plan here) then you need to find a prepaid BB service there. How long are you going for? There are a lot of ways you can work things depending on how much you are willing to pay, etc.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-10 10:25 AM
    Here is a phone only SIM you can buy, no data though
    Ukraine SIM Card

This company offers BlackBerry service in Ukraine so you may want to get in touch with them depending on how long you are going to be there.
    Subscribers - BlackBerry� Internet Service
    01-09-10 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD