Hi all! I'm thinking of getting the BB Tour, but have been reading that Sprint is going to be coming out with an updated version that includes wifi. Since my current phone is a 5 year old razor, I'm confident that the Tour will be a HUGE upgrade. However, I don't want my new phone to be completely outdated in 6 months. How important is wifi and ultimately is it really worth waiting for?
    07-25-09 09:58 PM
    Even if you get the Tour now, it will not be outdated in 6 months. The Tour is a great phone and WiFi is overrated, sure it would be nice but you cant go wrong with the Tour now.
    07-25-09 10:00 PM
    waited 5 years might as well wait for wifi
    07-25-09 10:02 PM
    I'm coming from a BB 8900 with WiFi and in most places Sprint's 3G beats it or is equal to the speed most of the time. It would come in handy in some places where you have a weak signal, but it's not that big of a deal. I wouldn't feel like I need to upgrade, even if it came out with WiFi tomorrow.

Truth be told though, this phone should have had WiFi from the get go.
    07-25-09 10:02 PM
    I personally dont care for wifi....so i got it now and dont regret it, but thats just me... if wifi is a big thing for you, just wait it out.
    07-25-09 10:03 PM
    I know quite a few BB users with WiFi that are disgruntled with it. I'm happy with my Verizon BB Tour.
    07-26-09 12:08 AM
    i never used wifi when i had it on my previous phone (omnia), so wifi wasnt important in my decision to upgrade to the Tour.
    if it's important to you though, then wait it out.
    07-26-09 03:37 AM
    If wifi is that important then just wait it out. The new Tour or whatever it's called will be out sometime next year. I'm looking forward to the new 4G bb
    07-26-09 04:11 AM
    Why wait when it feels so good to have it now?
    07-26-09 05:10 AM
    I had wifi on my previous winmo phone, and when using the tour's data connection, its just about as fast. I don't notice the difference if there is any.

Edit: I'm in Verizon though.
    07-26-09 05:28 AM
    Are you in a lot of places where there is Wi-Fi?
    Personally, I bring my laptop with me when I know I'm going to be somewhere with Wi-Fi for an extended period of time.
    I don't often go to places where there is Wi-Fi, and if I do, I'll settle with 3G.

...I still think not having Wi-Fi in the Tour is unexcuseable...
    07-26-09 05:39 AM
    I've never had a need for wifi with my Tour
    07-26-09 07:16 AM
    It took nearly 30 seconds to load this page. Maybe its Bolt, maybe its the limit of a 500 Kbps connection.

My only real phone experience and comparison with wifi would be the Pre on Sprint. Loading webpages took 5 seconds instead of 15. If ur a fast browser, then its a big deal.

But VZW's service is tolerable for me. Ill take the lack of wifi anyday of the week over the Pre's keyboard tho, hehe.

I used a Razr V3c on VZW before this too and its an absolute dream to type on. This whole post came from my Tour and now I'm just typing because its fun to see how fast ur fingers glide across the keys. :-)
    07-26-09 07:29 AM
    I have the bold and i love WIFI and never have had any real issues with it, works 98% of the time and is fast around 500-768kb/s on speed tests, of course this depends on the interent speed you have. I have a 15mb/s line at home.
    07-26-09 07:40 AM
    It depends on what you want, really. But, there are reports that the battery life on the Tour is dismal at best. Wi-Fi will just lead to much horrible battery. Is that something you're willing to deal with as well?
    07-26-09 07:51 AM
    Wi-Fi is overated.
    07-26-09 07:59 AM
    You have a razor, any phone wit h 3G will do for you. lol
    07-26-09 12:02 PM
    VZW 3G is nearly as fast my friend's WiFi on his Bold. Now THAT'S saying something.

Unless you crave Wifi (which I think is a great thing to have just in case), I personally don't need it since VZW always has great signal wherever I go in my area.

Grab the Tour, especially if you own a relic like a 88xx or 83xx
    07-26-09 12:18 PM
    Wi-Fi is overated.
    Not if you work deep in a building. Kiss your signal good bye.
    07-26-09 12:19 PM
    Battery life was reported as poor initially, but after some usage/cycling many users are reporting much better battery life. As far as wi fi goes. Yes, it would've been nice to have it now but I haven't really missed it yet. I debated waiting but then there is always going to be some other thing to wait for. My strategy is this: get the Tour now and then by the time my NE2 (or annual upgrade discount) comes up again there will likely be an iPhone and plenty of wifi BBs to choose from.
    07-26-09 12:47 PM
    If u have a Sprint then u really don't need wi-fi because the 3G speeds r way faster. If u live in a area that has a poor signal then go for it. With Wi-Fi, u have to always been in a hotspot but u can use 3G whenever. I think Wi-Fi is overrated.
    07-26-09 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! I ordered my Tour from Sprint today...yay!
    07-26-09 09:07 PM
    Thanks for the advice everyone!! I ordered my Tour from Sprint today...yay!
    You will not regret it! Its a awesome device!
    07-26-09 09:10 PM
    Having wifi is overrated just get the tour and you will be happy coming from having a RAZOR.
    07-26-09 09:11 PM
    Your going to love it!
    Wifi is overrated on BB's IMHO, unless your on Tmo's UMA I wish Sprint would come out with something similar
    07-26-09 09:13 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD