If they are serious about finding a buyer, why are they still burning cash? Why are they still launching the z30? Potential buyers are going to wait till they burn through everything and then buy the company for cheap for patents etc.

BB should be going into massive cost cutting mode and dropping all unnecessary expenditure at this point. It just doesn't make sense to publicly put yourself up for sale and then continue selling and developing stuff and hoping that people will buy your products. You don't get shareholders good value and people have a disincentive to buy your products.
    09-06-13 05:10 AM
    even if they're selling themselves, its more important to have things keep going. If BlackBerry is doing what it has in its roadmap, then its still a viable option to buyers. If a buyer is found, good. If a buyer is bad, life still goes on until they run down to their last penny.

To stop doing everything, halt everything while searching for a buyer, is very detrimental to the company . If there isn't a buyer, then its game over because of inactivity while waiting to be bought out. 3 months is a long time to do a lot of stuffs.
    09-06-13 05:32 AM
    You also have to consider the shareholders. We would generally have to agree to the sale unless it was a hostile bid for the company. There are some legal consequences to just doing nothing when a company board is looking to sell. A bland generalized statement, but true.

Posted via CB10
    09-06-13 06:27 AM
    Thank goodness CB created the armchair CEO section.

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read.

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    09-06-13 06:44 AM
    Yes indeed a ridiculous post
    sergey_IL likes this.
    09-06-13 06:46 AM
    There's an issue called inertia. As long as BB exists, it has certain obligations. It has to pay all its employees. It ordered components for the Z30 months ago, and it's likely that they just need to be assembled at this point. It is still trying to get BBM crossplatform released, so that it can spin off BBM as its own company. It still has contracts for QNX for cars and other things.

I'm sure all NEW projects have been put on hold, and I doubt there are any hardware/component orders for anything past the Z30, which was probably too far along to kill. But until the company is sold or broken up, and the new buyers have made a decision, the company has to "keep moving", at least in the areas where they already have commitments.
    rodan01 likes this.
    09-06-13 11:26 AM
    What I don't get is where BBM fits in.
    Cross platform BBM, presuming it goes through the NOC, and it remains free as they promised, where does that bring in the money?
    What's the incentive for BlackBerry, or anyone, to actually offer it, if they're not making money off it?
    And when you add in voice and video?
    I just don't get it.
    They have to charge for voice/video. Or find some way of monetising it for them. Ads?
    Where do companies like Viber make their money?
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    09-06-13 04:19 PM
    What I don't get is where BBM fits in.
    Cross platform BBM, presuming it goes through the NOC, and it remains free as they promised, where does that bring in the money?
    What's the incentive for BlackBerry, or anyone, to actually offer it, if they're not making money off it?
    And when you add in voice and video?
    I just don't get it.
    They have to charge for voice/video. Or find some way of monetising it for them. Ads?
    Where do companies like Viber make their money?
    Yes, ads...

Sometimes, the product is the customers that use it, ala Google, FaceBook, etc.
    09-06-13 07:53 PM