BlackBerry Set to Overtake Android in Canada to Become Number 2 Smartphone OS | The Gadget Masters
    BB Set to Overtake Android in Canada to Become Number 2-statcounter-canada.jpg
    Data from StatCounter reveals that BlackBerry’s market share in Canada has climbed 5.75% in one month, from 12.05% in May to 17.8% in June. Meanwhile, iOS and Android market share both fell over the same period, with iOS falling 4.49% and Android decreasing 1.67%.

StatCounter measures total usage, which is a function of total smartphone units and usage per smartphone. The fact that BlackBerry’s market share (in terms of usage) climbed by more than 5% is a good sign that sales of BB 10 have been strong in Canada, more than three months after the Z10 launched on February 5.

In fact, if the trend in the graph continues, BlackBerry is set to overtake Android in 1-2 months to become the number 2 mobile OS in Canada. BB 10′s strong momentum in Canada could also be an indication of strength in other countries in the latest quarter. If that turns out to be true, then BlackBerry could beat consensus estimates of ~3.3 million BB 10 smartphones when it reports quarterly results on Friday.
    I havn't seen a whole lot of BB10 phones recently but then again I live in Rexdale (the area shooting up jane and finch) however my mom said that on her way to work it was very common right after launch for every teen going to Lakeshore Collegiate to have the flip case and a z10.

Either way interesting that Ios/Droid losses almost mirror BB gains and also that plenty more Ios users are leaving for the Z10.

I think worldwide the Iphone 4 was what really broke BB's back and many people havn't actually upgraded from it, they are now though.
    dusdal and sosof like this.
    06-27-13 01:18 AM
    What broke bb was the crappy storm and the torch was initially buggy as well.

The 9900 is a really fantastic device they didn't really get credit for cuz the damage was already done

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 01:52 AM

The 9900 is a really fantastic device they didn't really get credit for cuz the damage was already done

Posted via CB10
    I agree
    06-27-13 04:59 AM
    Sounds good.We'll wait and see but if its all legit its good that the product is being loved at its home base.Slowly does it,slowly BB just need to keep putting in the work.
    Last edited by RECOOL; 06-27-13 at 06:53 AM.
    dusdal likes this.
    06-27-13 05:27 AM
    Their graph ends in may. Refresh it to last week of June and it'll show blackberry surpassing android.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    06-27-13 06:45 AM

Posted via CB10
    I think that phone was buggy as well. Didn't it have a self bricking issue for a few months when it came out?
    06-27-13 06:49 AM
    Great...let's be no 1 now

Posted via CB10
    BBVegasGirl80 likes this.
    06-27-13 08:03 AM

Posted via CB10
    well and because iphone and android came out with better hardware and software. BB was still coming out with 2inch screen and keyboard with no good app. they didnt move fast enough
    06-27-13 09:12 AM
    This graph and stat counter in general is counting in browser ad impressions. Hardly a metric to determine market share.

The only thing I take away from this is the fact that BB browser usage has increased, likely due to the launch of Bb10 smartphones which finally give Blackberrys a browser that doesn't make people want to gouge their eyes out.

StatCounter is a web analytics service. Our tracking code is installed on more than 3 million sites globally. These sites cover various activities and geographic locations. Every month, we record billions of page views to these sites. For each page view, we analyse the browser/operating system/screen resolution used and we establish if the page view is from a mobile device. For our search engine stats, we analyze every page view referred by a search engine. For our social media stats, we analyze every page view referred by a social media site. We summarize all this data to get our Global Stats information.
    Last edited by mikeo007; 06-27-13 at 11:02 AM.
    richardat likes this.
    06-27-13 10:46 AM
    .. Hardly a metric to determine market share.
    So webservers are serving pages to more bb10 phones in Canada than Android phones. To you, this isn't a good indicator of sales or market share in Canada??

It's hard to believe I know but I live in Canada. There's a definite phenomenon going on.

Posted via CB10
    JGuez55 and dusdal like this.
    06-27-13 11:05 AM
    So webservers are serving pages to more bb10 phones in Canada than Android phones. To you, this isn't a good indicator of sales or market share in Canada??

It's hard to believe I know but I live in Canada. There's a definite phenomenon going on.

Posted via CB10
    It's an indicator of increased BB browser usage, which is likely an indicator of Bb10 sales. That I 100% agree with. But as a ratio of usage vs other mobiles, it is a terrible metric.

What is (arguably) one of the biggest strengths of the two biggest mobile platforms? The abundance of apps. App usage is not measured in these statistics. Blackberry 10 users are much more likely to hit websites since the mobile apps are likely not available to them. That alone makes the level of traffic disproportionate.

I also live in the great white north btw, and I am not experiencing this phenomenon that you speak of. If it is happening, it's likely isolated to smaller pockets of the population. BB10 devices are definitely selling, but localized statistics offer very little in terms of a larger picture.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-27-13 11:16 AM
    It's an indicator of increased BB browser usage, which is likely an indicator of Bb10 sales. That I 100% agree with. But as a ratio of usage vs other mobiles, it is a terrible metric.

What is (arguably) one of the biggest strengths of the two biggest mobile platforms? The abundance of apps. App usage is not measured in these statistics. Blackberry 10 users are much more likely to hit websites since the mobile apps are likely not available to them. That alone makes the level of traffic disproportionate.
    Yes, you are absolutely correct in all of this. But keep in mind, things like Comscore rate this all the time in the US, and "market share" is guessed from this metric. If you are comparing like to like, you can make a reasonable assumption, but it is still an assumption.
    dusdal likes this.
    06-27-13 11:20 AM

Posted via CB10
    I owned a Storm and never had any of the issues everyone keeps talking about. My storm out performed my cousins iphone3g Actually the storm was the only phone that i had for the whole 3 year contract.
    sasakisadako likes this.
    06-27-13 11:23 AM
    Yes, you are absolutely correct in all of this. But keep in mind, things like Comscore rate this all the time in the US, and "market share" is guessed from this metric. If you are comparing like to like, you can make a reasonable assumption, but it is still an assumption.
    Interestingly enough, I think it works better in the US simply because the big 2 have an overwhelming majority. In other places like Canada and the UK where Blackberry or other brands have a larger foothold, the metric becomes increasingly skewed. It would probably be safe to say that comparing Apple to Android using this type of metric would give you a somewhat accurate representation of marketshare since they both have roughly equal sized app stores and thus would (in theory) have similar mobile browser usage. In a bit more of a stretch, I'd say it would also be a pretty good way to compare BB10 to Windows phone, since they again both have similarly sized app markets which would likely result in similar mobile browser habits.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    06-27-13 11:26 AM

Posted via CB10
    Well he does have a bit of a point.

I don't know that StatCounter can reliably gauge device market share, as much as it gauges browser market share. Especially when you consider that the metric being used is comparing platforms with different app ecosystems. BB10 relies more on the browser in lieu of mobile apps, whereas other platforms aren't using their browsers as much since they use apps to aggregate their data. I don't dispute that BB sales are obviously better in Canada than they have been in a while (there are enough other resources measuring this), but I don't think it's as extreme as this graph would indicate.

IMHO, the graph more demonstrates that the BB browser has vastly improved and is a better tool than it used to be, more so than an increase in people actually having a BB browser.
    richardat likes this.
    06-27-13 11:32 AM
    Can I point out it says BlackBerry OS and NOT BlackBerry 10?

Perhaps they fixed the problem where OS6 and OS7 browsers showed up and ios not BBOS
    06-27-13 11:47 AM

Posted via CB10
    Again, it's BlackBerry OS, not BB10.
    06-27-13 11:49 AM
    I knew that Canadians loved their Blackberries, but that is amazing.

But what gave me a wow was looking at US data for the same time frame. BB has actually decreased.

BB Set to Overtake Android in Canada to Become Number 2-statcounter-mobile_os-us-monthly-201202-201306-bar.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails BB Set to Overtake Android in Canada to Become Number 2-statcounter-mobile_os-us-monthly-201202-201306-bar.jpg  
    richardat likes this.
    06-27-13 11:55 AM
    Well he does have a bit of a point.

I don't know that StatCounter can reliably gauge device market share, as much as it gauges browser market share. Especially when you consider that the metric being used is comparing platforms with different app ecosystems. BB10 relies more on the browser in lieu of mobile apps, whereas other platforms aren't using their browsers as much since they use apps to aggregate their data. I don't dispute that BB sales are obviously better in Canada than they have been in a while (there are enough other resources measuring this), but I don't think it's as extreme as this graph would indicate.

IMHO, the graph more demonstrates that the BB browser has vastly improved and is a better tool than it used to be, more so than an increase in people actually having a BB browser.
    The first paragraph isn't necessarily wrong, the second is rather wrong, considering the conclusion.

In the last 2 years, the same BBOS phones were sold in Canada, so the metric of browser usage, if it just randomly exploded, can only be linked to more people having BB10 phones.

If you wanted to say, that people just upgraded from their old BBOS device, I would have to look at the data with more scrutinity, but this also seems wrong.

The growth for Android's and Apple's browser marketshare either stagnates or declines, whereas BlackBerry's has a clear upside trend.

How reliable the data is, is another question though.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    06-27-13 11:59 AM
    Don't think this is reliable. No way BlackBerry is beating Android even in Canada!!

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    06-27-13 12:01 PM
    If it is happening, it's likely isolated to smaller pockets of the population.
    I'm pretty sure it's the big pockets doing all the heavy lifting.

Posted via CB10
    dusdal likes this.
    06-27-13 12:02 PM

Perhaps they fixed the problem where OS6 and OS7 browsers showed up and ios not BBOS
    Did you read the article?

"StatCounter measures total usage, which is a function of total smartphone units and usage per smartphone. The fact that BlackBerry?s market share (in terms of usage) climbed by more than 5% is a good sign that sales of BB 10 have been strong in Canada, more than three months after the Z10 launched on February 5.

In fact, if the trend in the graph continues, BlackBerry is set to overtake Android in 1-2 months to become the number 2 mobile OS in Canada. BB 10?s strong momentum in Canada could also be an indication of strength in other countries in the latest quarter. If that turns out to be true, then BlackBerry could beat consensus estimates of ~3.3 million BB 10 smartphones when it reports quarterly results on Friday."

Not one mention of BBOS...
    It is clear that BB10 and BBOS have been added together...

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 12:03 PM

That's a bit of a stretch.. there were kinks in the graph the week of the z10 launch and q10 launches. I doubt people upgraded their bb6/7 phones at precisely those times.

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 12:07 PM
    Did you read the article?

"StatCounter measures total usage, which is a function of total smartphone units and usage per smartphone. The fact that BlackBerry?s market share (in terms of usage) climbed by more than 5% is a good sign that sales of BB 10 have been strong in Canada, more than three months after the Z10 launched on February 5.

In fact, if the trend in the graph continues, BlackBerry is set to overtake Android in 1-2 months to become the number 2 mobile OS in Canada. BB 10?s strong momentum in Canada could also be an indication of strength in other countries in the latest quarter. If that turns out to be true, then BlackBerry could beat consensus estimates of ~3.3 million BB 10 smartphones when it reports quarterly results on Friday."

Not one mention of BBOS...
    It is clear that BB10 and BBOS have been added together...

Posted via CB10
    I don't know for sure what's happening with the whole BB10/BBOS terminology on the stat counter website, I certainly wouldn't think that the article writer has any clue either. So using their hypothesis as some sort of proof that the numbers are indeed combined is not a good idea.

(For the record, I personally think there is some combining going on, although as Belfast stated, they did have a problem identifying the BBOS browser in the past, so they may have corrected that problem recently as well)
    Last edited by mikeo007; 06-27-13 at 12:30 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    06-27-13 12:08 PM
    There's no way legacy browser can be better than android.But bb10 browser defo is good enough to jump android so quickly.Its only gone up since BB10 devices its pretty obvious BB10 is making waves .
    06-27-13 12:23 PM
94 123 ...