My family uses Verizon as our carrier. Our contract is coming due and we were looking at the new phones. I was considering purchasing a BB but the rest of the family didn't need the data plan. Since BB is running a promotional buy one get one free, why can't I get a full voice/text/data plan on one phone and only a voice/text plan on the other phone? Verizon tells me they can't activate a BB without a data plan? It doesn't make sense to me, but maybe that's just the way it is. Can anyone offer any clarity to me on this?
    12-03-09 09:18 AM
    That is just the way it is man, you gotta have a data plan on your BB through Verizon. I don't think T-mobile requires it tho.
    12-03-09 09:22 AM
    blackberrys are made for web and email use...hence the data plan. any smartphone on verizon requires it

if you're not looking to spend the extra money, it looks like you won't be getting that second blackberry
    12-03-09 09:23 AM
    That's the way it is and it does make financial (fair) sense for many reasons.

1. Verizon is discounting heavily on these BB phones so you will subscribe to a data plan. How much are getting for FREE for the 2nd BB phone? $500??

2. Verizon plans/builds/upgrades cell towers to budget/service so many smartphones they plan to sell. Pricing of data plan is set accordingly.
    12-03-09 09:24 AM
    leskchan- that makes sense from a business standpoint. Perhaps the second BB makes an appearance on ebay.
    12-03-09 09:39 AM
    leskchan- that makes sense from a business standpoint. Perhaps the second BB makes an appearance on ebay.
    Verizon is onto this scam. You can search this forum for an answer, both legal and moral.
    12-03-09 09:41 AM
    blackberrys are made for web and email use...hence the data plan. any smartphone on verizon requires it

if you're not looking to spend the extra money, it looks like you won't be getting that second blackberry
    yeah but I thought a wm device could be pay as you go and then you can block data....
    I know BB's are different....unless verizon changed to all smartphones.
    12-03-09 09:47 AM
    leskchan- is there a way to search the forum for the thread you mentioned, or do I have to search page by page? with almost 1,000 pages of threads, it may take me a while to find it.
    12-03-09 09:52 AM
    the best way to search to actually find what you are looking for is to go to google.

in the search bar on google type in: what you are searching for + crackberry
    12-03-09 09:53 AM
    thanks thinkamp
    12-03-09 09:56 AM
    I dont think that would work. I'm sure the second device would have to be activated on the second line for the promotion thus adding the bb data to the line. How long it would have to remain active I dont know. But I would guess they have thought of this and put in place road blocks for users trying to sell the second device immediately.
    12-03-09 09:59 AM
    yeah but I thought a wm device could be pay as you go and then you can block data....
    I know BB's are different....unless verizon changed to all smartphones.
    All US carriers require you to have a data plan when you buy/upgrade to a new smartphne. Just go your US carrier webset and try to buy a new smartphone and you will see the requirements.
    12-03-09 10:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD