but if data compression is one of their strengths... why give it up?
    Probably not by choice. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I'd say it's because of carriers and enterprise don't want to pay BES/BIS fees. Also, carriers don't want data compression like they did before, they want to sell data. That's why they're eliminating unlimited plans, and creating tiered plans and selling overages by the gigabyte instead of kilobyte.
    09-30-12 11:00 AM
    Like I said, the upper class is growing rapidly. People who were commoners 10 years ago are now multimillionaires. Typical apartment in a first tier city in a nice neighborhood will cost about $500,000.00 for something about 1000 square feet (100 square meters). Somebody is buying them up, since most new developments are sold out before they're finished. Even with new laws allowing only 1 residence per person, they're selling out. Before, it wasn't as easy to get imported luxury goods in China. 20 years ago, it was impossible, 10 years ago, it could be had with difficulty. In those days, there wasn't much demand, since there weren't many rich people. Now it's easy to get, if you have the money. In another 10 years, what's now the middle class can probably afford luxury goods, and that's what companies like LVMH is banking on. RIM is banking on the same thing happening in countries like Nigeria, India, and Indonesia.
    not denying anything your saying, other than when you say that they are banking on the middle class, I'm saying that like in NA it isn't as profitable as it sounds and if you are in the middle class you are far more likely to get a fake but yes I will give you that they will make more profit than if they had no prescence at all.
    09-30-12 11:09 AM
    Probably not by choice. If I had to guess, and it's only a guess, I'd say it's because of carriers and enterprise don't want to pay BES/BIS fees. Also, carriers don't want data compression like they did before, they want to sell data. That's why they're eliminating unlimited plans, and creating tiered plans and selling overages by the gigabyte instead of kilobyte.
    Not a good guess. The reason they are giving up BIS is the same reason they are giving up BES, they can't get it to work with the new OS.
    09-30-12 12:46 PM
    Not a good guess. The reason they are giving up BIS is the same reason they are giving up BES, they can't get it to work with the new OS.
    Sorry to disappoint you here but BIS will still be there, why do you think they are asking people to use a different BBID with the Dev Alpha devices?

BIS will still be there, maybe a little bit different than how is now but still will be there

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha
    09-30-12 01:15 PM
    THANK GOD. This is great for prepaid!
    09-30-12 01:30 PM
    Sorry to disappoint you here but BIS will still be there, why do you think they are asking people to use a different BBID with the Dev Alpha devices?

BIS will still be there, maybe a little bit different than how is now but still will be there

BIS will not be there. BBID is not part of BIS.
    09-30-12 01:36 PM
    "...Look at Vodaphone BBM plans in India, they cost like 7 Rupees or $0.095 a day, payable by the day..."

It costs 399 rupees/month for BIS. At least, according to an internet posting it used to last year.
    Where are you getting your numbers from? Please show your math because I don't think 7 Rupees is equal to 9.5 cents at today's exchange rate so I question your overall calculations.
    09-30-12 05:48 PM
    How I read it is the following ;
    You can use a BB10 device in a BYOD device using standard network stacks and ActiveSync.
    You can use BB7/BB10 devices in a corporate environment running BES back end (incl. balance, compression).
    You can use BB10 devices with a BIS plan to gain personal enhanced experience (office365+BB cloud services) or data management (compression).

Sounds good to me.
    10-01-12 03:05 AM
    Who is RIM talking to? A lot of people I know don't heavily use BBM like they used to because of cross-platforms like whatsApp Messenger. BIS is what I personally think is their biggest advantage and its way cheaper over here than any data plan! I will stick to my 9900 thanks RIM.
    10-01-12 04:08 AM
    data compression is what makes the BB a great device for business travellers.

The ability to use a fraction of the data in comparison to ios and android devices is such a bonus.

customers don't want to pay an arm and a leg for data roaming.
    10-01-12 11:08 AM

Isn't that because PIN is going away with BB10? Nothing at all to do with BIS.
    10-01-12 11:17 AM
    The PIN is going away because BIS and BES are going away. Both require the PIN.
    10-01-12 01:22 PM
    I hope the pin stays for security reasons and get it associated with email ids to make it easy for the new transitions/multi platforms communication
    10-03-12 09:07 AM
    I've been saying for a long time that it won't be necessary (with the switch to exchange for email) but RIM will try to require it for their own apps (twitter, FB etc...) and charge the carriers accordingly. The carriers, however, will push back and refuse to pay for something they get for free on every other device regardless of whos servers it passes thru. I think RIMs service revenue is going to take a big hit and BIS will eventually only remain only for management/security purposes.
    10-03-12 10:23 AM
    I'd like to see or read something directly from RIM about this.

Not some story from a friend's brother's cousin's comment to some German mobile site. I want to hear it from someone right out of RIM's Waterloo office.

EAS is great for exchange accounts, but what about personal ISP based pop3 email accounts and gmail. I don't believe that EAS handles those kinds of accounts. No one has answered that question in all the various threads that "claim" BIS will be gone.

Also, all I ever remember hearing RIM state was that they couldn't get the existing BES system to work with BB10. Giving rise to the need for a new BES10. No mention of BIS. Unless I missed it. If so, someone please link me to the specific statement from RIM about it.
    richardat likes this.
    10-03-12 10:53 AM
    According to a friend of mine RIM has confirmed that they will discontinue the necessariness of BIS on BB10 Devices.
    The following article has been published on a reliable german mobile site:
    Blackberry 10: Das Ende des Blackberry Internet Service (BIS)
    Sent from my BlackBerry
    So the title should be " BIS no longer mandatory for BB10". I believe it is a nice move. It will cost revenues on the first hand ... but that is mandatory
    bluetroll likes this.
    10-03-12 12:49 PM
    RIM are sure to have a series of value added plans to replace the revenue - cloud back-up, music plus maybe different charges for different levels of BBM service.
    10-03-12 12:56 PM
    I'd like to see or read something directly from RIM about this.

Not some story from a friend's brother's cousin's comment to some German mobile site. I want to hear it from someone right out of RIM's Waterloo office.

EAS is great for exchange accounts, but what about personal ISP based pop3 email accounts and gmail. I don't believe that EAS handles those kinds of accounts. No one has answered that question in all the various threads that "claim" BIS will be gone.

Also, all I ever remember hearing RIM state was that they couldn't get the existing BES system to work with BB10. Giving rise to the need for a new BES10. No mention of BIS. Unless I missed it. If so, someone please link me to the specific statement from RIM about it.
    Gmail supports EAS. Push email is also possible through IMAP which many email providers support.

If RIM could not get BES to work with the new OS, it is unlikely that they would be able to get BIS to work either.
    10-03-12 03:14 PM
    As far as I know, push email via IMAP violates the same NTP patent that RIM violated. Although part of the award and judgement were vacated, part remains. For the life of me, I don't know why IMAP clients would be available on the istore or android app store unless they have a license from NTP.
    10-03-12 03:48 PM
    No,you can add people's pin and they can add yours as well just like they can on OS7
    10-03-12 03:52 PM
    As far as I know, push email via IMAP violates the same NTP patent that RIM violated. Although part of the award and judgement were vacated, part remains. For the life of me, I don't know why IMAP clients would be available on the istore or android app store unless they have a license from NTP.
    I am unaware of any push IMAP clients for iOS. Pretty sure that Android doesn't ship with one.
    10-03-12 04:13 PM
    Sorry to hear you got scammed. A blocked PIN usually implies an illegally sold pre-release device which is still owned by RIM. A blocked IMEI is more often a sign of a stolen device or one on contract with outstanding debt.
    I did not know this. Thank you!
    10-03-12 05:22 PM
    Gmail supports EAS. Push email is also possible through IMAP which many email providers support.

If RIM could not get BES to work with the new OS, it is unlikely that they would be able to get BIS to work either.
    Unfortunately, my ISP does not have an IMAP option for email. And, for as long as I can, I will avoid ever using gmail at all costs.

I only mentioned gmail because I know that RIM spent a lot of time over the past few years getting gmail to work over BIS.
    10-03-12 06:01 PM
    Unfortunately, my ISP does not have an IMAP option for email. And, for as long as I can, I will avoid ever using gmail at all costs.

I only mentioned gmail because I know that RIM spent a lot of time over the past few years getting gmail to work over BIS.
    They did but it still works much better over EAS.
    10-04-12 07:42 AM
    No,you can add people's pin and they can add yours as well just like they can on OS7
    That's to allow interoperability between OS7 and BB10 users - going forward, if you buy a BB10 device you will have a SSO user ID and no PIN, eventually legacy users will be moved onto the same system - I'm trying to think where the article was that outlined it, I'll go look.
    10-05-12 02:36 AM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD