I have made an amateur observation about online privacy, and someone correct me if I have made an error in my doing so...

With all the recent media covering Google and Facebook privacy, I am darn happy I am a Blackberry fan. I realize that choosing to use apps that in their core theologies collect and distribute user information is personal choice. I get that.

But with the Google phones, and Google's latest change of user privacy statements... it made me think WOW am I ever glad I didn't choose one of their phones. Could these privacy agreements apply to their phones as well? That is, how much of my user data could be shared with unknown entities if I chose a Google phone?

It's all well and good to have apps available - and if you choose to use them, you agree to their use of your data. But can the phone OS itself open you up to loss of privacy?

Do you think RIM products will protect - to some degree - our data into the future, or is the commercialization of personal data too seductive?

This is beginning to concern me.
    02-02-12 12:38 PM
    I'm with you but don't know the answer. Big brother is reality.
    02-02-12 12:50 PM
    One of the main differences is that most data is not stored on RIM's servers. The data that is stored isn't used like Google, Facebook, and other sites do.

BUT...

If you use Google to search from your BlackBerry, or Bing, or use the Facebook app, Twitter, Google Talk, FourSquare, or any other app that connects to public sites, the information is being shared in some way or form. Using the Facebook app on BB is no more secure than using the Facebook app on Android, iPhone, or even your PC.

The main difference with most Android devices is that the public/shared options are the ones used first and foremost: GMail, Google Search, Google Talk... You can still access non-Google apps (like K9 for POP3 email) from Android, and devices like the Kindle Fire don't use Google Apps. An Android device can be used in a more unshared method - it's just not as user friendly.

It's all a matter of how you use your device, and how open you are to what you use and share.
    modine likes this.
    02-02-12 01:04 PM
    RIM's data are encrypted.
    4 words, 1 answer ... simple.
    02-02-12 01:08 PM
    This does not bode well then for me at least, as my email is gmail and I have been preferring google search on ALL devices. Someone in this forum suggested www.startpage.com and I will be eternally grateful... but this diminishes my online experience in the manner that I... "I" am now responsible for my own online privacy. (Always should have been the one responsible) I trusted these sites... and now I sincerely DO NOT. What other sites are gleaning information from my search inquiries?? All I suppose.

I am, in the same way, trusting RIM with whatever other data I search from other search engines. If RIM could have a secure browser I would feel better. Is their browser secure?
    02-02-12 01:13 PM
    RIM's data are encrypted.
    4 words, 1 answer ... simple.
    Can you give me more than 4 words? Slow learner here... data are encrypted... what forms of data are encrypted and what forms are not?
    Last edited by modine; 02-02-12 at 01:16 PM. Reason: typo
    02-02-12 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD