Just about everything to do with a modern BlackBerry is designed to be totally secure.

The phone can be protected by a Device Password that, if it is not eenteredcorrectly after 10 tries (even the number of tries is settable) the phone will wipe itself of all user data, clean its memory and reboot with no user data.

You can encrypt the phone's data with a different password as well as using a Device Password. This makes it nearly to the phone and copy meaningful data.

The Backup file to your PC can also be similarly encrypted so that the Backup files cannot be opened and data viewed or copied.

Over the Internet RIM (BlackBerry's makers) have a private network (a VPN) that is both compressed and encrypted using TES (Triple DES) that is just about uncrackable. The Indian government recently shut down the Indian blackberry.net called BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) because it was unable to crack RIM's encryption.

This multiple aproaapproach each segment or part of the system being highly secure makes it very hard indeed, even for law enforcement agencies to access a well protected and encrypted BlackBerry phone.

In the corporate environment there is a RIM system called BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Network) that is equally secure but also allows the corporate administrator to totally own his employer owned phones on his network. Such phones maye bmaymotely wiped, locked, reloaded. Internet access may be barred or restricted to certain sites and phone calls may be restricted to any phone list or left with free access to all numbers. BES can stop programs being installed or run and security attacks can be reported back to the administrator.

So, now you know. I hope this helps.

I am sure that others will add to this list.
    06-14-12 01:09 PM
    Can someone tell me in simple terms why BB is more secure than both android and iOS.
    Friends tell me this is the case but when I ask them to explain why they don't seem to have the answers. Its almost a hearsay for them regarding the bb security.

I'm assuming its something to do with BBM, where the messages between devices cannot be 'hacked' or 'intercepted' by third parties.

There is also the email security, I'd guess that anything over the internet can be seen or viewed by anyone who is capable to find such things.

Is it also down to the fact BB's can be encrypted and therefore if lost, without a password the contents remains safe.

I also believe BES to be more secure than BIS which I am on.
    06-14-12 03:50 PM
    Thanks for that Pete6.

Is it fair to say that these features are at a higher level to that of say an iphone?. They will have a password and encryption feature won't they?. Although not as good?
    06-14-12 04:17 PM
    J
    In the corporate environment there is a RIM system called BES (BlackBerry Enterprise Network) that is equally secure but also allows the corporate administrator to totally own his employer owned phones on his network. Such phones maye bmaymotely wiped, locked, reloaded.
    Won't "control" V.S "own" be more accurate?
    This is nothing but a question, but it sounds "strange " to me that administrator could, for instance, read phones content. This would violate credentials.
    06-14-12 04:53 PM
    Can someone tell me in simple terms why BB is more secure than both android and iOS.
    Friends tell me this is the case but when I ask them to explain why they don't seem to have the answers. Its almost a hearsay for them regarding the bb security.

I'm assuming its something to do with BBM, where the messages between devices cannot be 'hacked' or 'intercepted' by third parties.

There is also the email security, I'd guess that anything over the internet can be seen or viewed by anyone who is capable to find such things.

Is it also down to the fact BB's can be encrypted and therefore if lost, without a password the contents remains safe.

I also believe BES to be more secure than BIS which I am on.
    BlackBerry phones protect data at rest and runtime data better than the other platforms. At present, no one has been able to mount a successful password recovery attack against a properly configured BlackBerry. You would need some sort of third party tool to properly encrypt a consumer Android device. A password recovery attack against an iPhone 4 or 4S is slow, but doable. Privilege escalation and runtime attacks against Android and iOS devices are well documented.

RIM categorizes BIS BBMs as being "scrambled," not encrypted, because they share a global cryptographic key present on every BlackBerry phone. An everyday hacker with a packet sniffer will not be able to read your BBMs, but if your ISP receives a wiretap order, that's a different story. BES data in transit security is just awesome.
    06-14-12 08:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD