Vodafone recently declared that in some countries, it is forced by law to let governmental agencies to have their listening equipment plugged in directly into carriers servers / devices, etc.
    Having that in view, pls advise me how is BB's security gonna play a role if the army has tapped into carrier equipment & is listening my conversation to my friend ? Is the conversation encrypted from my BB end to his /hers non-BB phone & the blue-eyed guys hear only static ? or it doesn't matter what we have in our hands as phones, since everyone can be listened to ?
    Because if the latter is true, then BB's much touted security is as much futile as iOs security or Tizen's.
    06-10-14 03:32 PM
    if you are talking phone calls then there is very little security at all. Having a BB wont matter. For other communication, unless you have BES you arent going to be totally secure either. The best security comes with a BB using BES
    06-10-14 03:37 PM
    Because there is no "industry standard" encryption for phone calls, they aren't encrypted and anyone with access to the cellular network can listen in. Putting encryption on BB phones would mean that they could only call other BB phones, because other phones would lack the encryption to decode the call.

Texting (SMS & MMS) are the same way for the same reason: when they were created, no thought was given for security, based on the assumption that no one would be able to get into the carrier network except for the carrier.

BB's network security comes from BES (meaning: BB10 devices not on BES really don't have network security that is different in any significant way from, say, Android or iOS), and for phones on BES, it's limited to the specific data services that BES provides: corporate emails (that don't leave the corporate servers), perhaps some corporate file sharing, and BBM messaging.

NOTE: we're talking about network security here, not on-device security, because this discussion is about the data that travels over carrier networks, not data that is on the device itself.
    06-10-14 06:33 PM
    Vodafone recently declared that in some countries, it is forced by law to let governmental agencies to have their listening equipment plugged in directly into carriers servers / devices, etc.
    Having that in view, pls advise me how is BB's security gonna play a role if the army has tapped into carrier equipment & is listening my conversation to my friend ? Is the conversation encrypted from my BB end to his /hers non-BB phone & the blue-eyed guys hear only static ? or it doesn't matter what we have in our hands as phones, since everyone can be listened to ?
    Because if the latter is true, then BB's much touted security is as much futile as iOs security or Tizen's.
    It wont matter anyways BlackBerry has to comply with international laws and has a long history of handing over client data to governments and law enforcement except for bes
    Not to mention the nsa always had the ability to record calls since the 70s

Unless you have something to hide I wouldn't worry about it

Bbry has been known to handle over bbry data and have help desks even to help retrieve customer data for governments the most famous ones are Dubai and Indonesia

Posted via CrackBerry App
    06-10-14 06:56 PM
    if you are talking phone calls then there is very little security at all. Having a BB wont matter. For other communication, unless you have BES you arent going to be totally secure either. The best security comes with a BB using BES
    And a smart smartphone user. Nothing beats that.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    howarmat likes this.
    06-10-14 07:08 PM
    The best protection against carrier interception is... not using their services. What does it mean? Switch to BBM voice instead of cellular call. If you have no SIM card in your BlackBerry then carrier doesn't get into the picture. With the SIM card in, you should be warned about cellular data traffic when making BBM voice calls.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-14 07:46 PM