thank you in advance
    Last edited by SerenaUK; 11-27-08 at 05:21 PM.
    11-16-08 08:16 AM
    When you use BBM you can only have one account per BB. Maybe your friend was refering to I'm accounts on JiveTalk or something. The only thing people will see about you is if you are available to talk and your status message. You can only get a pin if it is given to you or posted or you get a BBM friend request.
    11-16-08 08:24 AM
    1. The name you enter in Edit My Info, PIN, whatever status info you set in My Status

2. It is tied to PIN and only one hardcoded PIN per device. The only way to have multiple BBM identities is to have more than one phone.

3. Someone has to tell you the PIN. There is no way for someone else get your PIN without human assistance. Hint - you can put your PIN into SMS or email by typing 'mypin ' (with trailing space without quotes) and autotext will convert it for you.
    11-16-08 08:26 AM
    Thank you very much guys! It's all much clearer to me now.
    I was wondering...when you add someone through the email address, is there any way to know that it's the correct email address they have registered on their berry?
    email address is just like any other email address... if someone gives you there email its the one they gave you... email on a bb works pretty much the same as email on a computer as far as you handing it out.

people can have multiple emails on there bb doesn't necessarily mean its the one that there bb is registered.
    11-17-08 04:07 AM
    I was wondering...when you add someone through the email address, is there any way to know that it's the correct email address they have registered on their berry?
    SerenaUK, if I am interpreting you correctly, I think I have the same question as you do. Are you asking about adding someone to your BB Messenger contact list by using their email address? Because I have 1 BB Messenger contact, out of 3, that instead of their BB PIN listed under Info their email address is listed there. I am getting to this information by going to BB Messenger ... Contact List ... highlight their name in the contact list, BB Menu button ... Contact Info ... and listed on the "Info" line is their email address, not their BB PIN. With my other 2 contacts it lists their respective BB PIN on the Info line.

Now, I do happen to know the PIN of that 1 oddball user (it is my boyfriend/partner! ), but it doesn't show up in the BB Messenger anywhere. He added me to his BB Messenger Contact List initially, and that was about 2 weeks ago when I first got my BB (he'd gotten his about 2 weeks prior to that, same one as mine BB 8330 Curve), so I am not sure how exactly he added me to the BB Messenger, not sure if that matters.

We're not experiencing any troubles with our BlackBerries (thanks in large part to all of the information at this wonderful site!!), I'm just curious as to why it is showing up as it does, with his email address instead of his PIN. And the email address isn't even his @vzw.blackberry.net address, it is the first one that we signed up with on his BB, just a regular @yahoo.com email address. And his full name shows up in the Contact List, just like the other 2 BB Messenger contacts I have.

Thanks for any and all info.
    11-17-08 09:33 AM
    I thought I was the only one pretty confused about the Blackberry Messenger thing. Its a cool program, just wish I knew more folks with Blackberries!
    11-17-08 08:45 PM
    SerenaUK, if I am interpreting you correctly, I think I have the same question as you do. Are you asking about adding someone to your BB Messenger contact list by using their email address? Because I have 1 BB Messenger contact, out of 3, that instead of their BB PIN listed under Info their email address is listed there. I am getting to this information by going to BB Messenger ... Contact List ... highlight their name in the contact list, BB Menu button ... Contact Info ... and listed on the "Info" line is their email address, not their BB PIN. With my other 2 contacts it lists their respective BB PIN on the Info line.

Now, I do happen to know the PIN of that 1 oddball user (it is my boyfriend/partner! ), but it doesn't show up in the BB Messenger anywhere. He added me to his BB Messenger Contact List initially, and that was about 2 weeks ago when I first got my BB (he'd gotten his about 2 weeks prior to that, same one as mine BB 8330 Curve), so I am not sure how exactly he added me to the BB Messenger, not sure if that matters.

We're not experiencing any troubles with our BlackBerries (thanks in large part to all of the information at this wonderful site!!), I'm just curious as to why it is showing up as it does, with his email address instead of his PIN. And the email address isn't even his @vzw.blackberry.net address, it is the first one that we signed up with on his BB, just a regular @yahoo.com email address. And his full name shows up in the Contact List, just like the other 2 BB Messenger contacts I have.

Thanks for any and all info.

This is odd, I added 2 people via their email not their PIN and their pin shows in my "contact info" box when I go to it.
    I also believe that if they have any email accounts attached to their BB you can use any of those emails to request them on BBM~could definitely be wrong on this one.
    If you want to edit his full name just hit the BB menu button when you are in BBM>edit my info>change the name viewed.
    You can also rename your contacts and give them nicknames the same way except you choose rename contact.

HTH
    11-17-08 09:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD