Does anyone know if there is an extra charge for messaging friends who live abroad with bb messenger? I live in the UK and if I were to add a friend in the US would I be charged extra or does the extra charge only apply when I'm abroad?
    03-05-08 08:27 AM
    no extra charge... in any instance. as long as you have a data plan.
    03-05-08 08:30 AM
    Ditto Chaz. I regularly BBM with persons across the globe.

And a one on another planet (at times, I think).
    03-05-08 08:32 AM
    Haha. Thanks guys
    03-05-08 08:41 AM
    but aren't there usually international data charges for overseas?
    03-08-08 10:47 AM
    Data through you provider, yes. BB messenger uses RIM servers, so no extra charges.
    03-08-08 10:49 AM
    Sweet!!
    I never knew that. Thanks!
    03-08-08 01:08 PM
    .. good to know!
    03-13-08 09:18 PM
    Chaz, you've always got great advice...but, I'm still confused. I'm from the US, going to Italy (ATT). Can I use BB Mess to message BACK to the US? At what cost? ATT rep told me today it was counted as a text. Or would it actually be at the data rate because I'm roaming. Too much for my little brain to comprehend.
    05-02-08 05:34 PM
    I'd have to say it would be included in your data - at whatever rate your roaming data charges would be. I don't believe there's ever an instance where BBM would be counted as text.
    05-02-08 05:42 PM
    Do you have the international BB plan? From the U.S., to international BB contacts, no extra charge with the domestic BB plan.

If you are going abroad, Italy, I believe you need the international plan for 64.99.

05-02-08 06:26 PM
    The ATT rep said I could actually do a 20 meg plan for $24.99 (like the iPhone) for just the time I needed it (of course, that isn't on any of their website information). She said NOT to do the $64 plan because there was an early termination charge of $175 (it's a year contract). However, I read in the fine print that if you cancelled within 30 days you only had to pay for your usage. Might be a way to go.

I think Chaz is probably right about just clocking up international data roaming charges with BB messenger. These ATT reps just don't seem to get the whole messenger concept.
    05-02-08 07:27 PM
    Got the REAL scoop in writing from an ATT tech person who actually was familiar with pin to pin messaging. My BIS data plan is unlimited for $35/month and part of that plan is international data for 0.0195/kb (basically pay as you go). The other rep that had mentioned the 20 meg plan was mistaken. That's not for BB's.

The other option would be the $64.99/month plan, but that comes with a year commitment.

So a little picture message through BB Messenger that is just 7 kb (I toned down the quality and size of the picts) would just be .1365 for a picture. Not too bad. And, I don't plan to be texting and pict-ing all that much anyway!

So Chaz, you were right, once again! Hope this can help someone else! It's really not as complicated as it seemed.
    05-03-08 11:24 PM
    Hm BB messenger should be the same rate regardless of geographic location. Like you adding friends to your MSN or Yahoo messenger that are not in the US. Same rate to talk to them
    05-04-08 09:49 AM
    Wow! This sounds like exactly the info I'm looking for. How did you get this info from AT&T -- phone? My daughter is going to Italy next week and will be taking her bb. I got her the discounted roaming plan, but wasn't going to hook up the data plan until she gets home, figuring it wouldn't cover international data (bb msg, internet, etc). I have the $35 plan on my bb and love it! If it would do the trick for her, allowing her to text and bb msg us while she's there, and maybe even connect to her email, that would be wonderful!! Can you advise, or suggest how I can reach someone at AT&T who could give me the straight scoop? Thanks!!
    06-30-08 04:09 PM
    I have a similar question, if I go to some place like Iraq, and I have an unlimited data plan which is based out of the US, would I have to pay some sort of international roaming charge for data, or would it still be included?
    06-30-08 04:25 PM
    It's just like chat so I wouldn't think but good to know now I have a BB friend who lives abroad

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 04:49 PM
    I have a similar question, if I go to some place like Iraq, and I have an unlimited data plan which is based out of the US, would I have to pay some sort of international roaming charge for data, or would it still be included?
    Wicked roaming charges unless you can use WifI and UMA.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-08 09:23 PM
    I hope you get this response in time for your daughter's trip! I did talk with ATT via phone, but ended up with a tech support person who referred me to an international person (I think), so I printed out the transcript for reference. Basically, I needed to have my regular data plan in place (same one as yours, I believe). I added the $5.99 international calling plan which reduced rates from around $1.29 to .99/minute for calls. And then data roaming was activated (and voice roaming...all at no charge). The cost for data was $.02/kb, I believe. I just got my first post-Italy bill and it indeed came in at 2 cents/kb (I used about 1000 kb roaming during the billing cycle). I wasn't able to send pictures via BB Messenger...might have been something weird on my end. Messages went through without any trouble. Email I changed up by deleteing most accounts I had put on the BB and just routing the important ones through one address. So not too many of those.

The voice calls ended up at 59 cents/min. Don't ask me how that happened. I'm just happy with it. They were primarily calling voice mail at my house and also calling our shop to make sure it hadn't burned down or anything..

I think your daughter needs her data plan (same as yours) activated for email and BB Messenger. However, she DOESN'T need the international way-too-expensive-and-has-a-two-year-contract plan. Just roaming.

If you have any other questions, holler. i'm out of town on a dial-up and shaky ATT reception, but I'll give you any info I can.

By the way, my reception in almost ALL of Italy was better than anything I've ever had in the US! And you just turned on the phone and she was good to go!

Laura
    07-01-08 02:34 PM
    Hi All !

Just to carry this dicussion a little more.....

I am going to India for 3 weeks, and At&t gave me the two options of a 1-year International plan, or the 20MB plan.

I am only using the BB for Enterprise email. I will have a seperate phone for voice.

I get about 120 mails/day, and reply to about 50. (Short replies). Will 20MB be enough, or will I be going over ?

What do you think?

Thanks !
    Brent
    07-03-08 01:22 PM
    That alone makes the blackberry device one step above the rest. I don't know of any other device that allows you to communicate overseas with the same device for no extra charge other than data. SWEET.
    07-03-08 01:59 PM
    that's why i love BB's so much. i pay for my unlimitied data, and i talk to 10 of my friends that are overseas, Brasil, France, Italy, and Germany.
    07-03-08 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD