How can we be sure our fingerprint data is not sent to third parties or government agencies? I am not very versed in computer technology, but it seems that the fingerprint data can be stored/used. Is it possible for someone to take this data from the phone without you knowing?
    03-01-17 02:34 PM
    What's stored in the secure element in these devices is a hash of (features of your fingerprint combined with device specific key), so even if the hash itself is compromised, it's really not very useful outside of that device.

Similarly, the API that allows apps to use fingerprint verification for purchases, etc., doesn't expose the fingerprint features themselves through the API, or even to the OS itself. The question you get to ask of the secure element is "yes or no, does the finger on the sensor match any of the fingers configured by the owner of this device".
    Don't they already have it from your birth certificate?

And even if it was taken, what would be done with it? Do you use it for your bank or other things?

What about all the cameras in cities recording your biometric data?

Just saying

Posted via CB10
    madmax12345 and xandros9 like this.
    03-01-17 02:38 PM
    its not that easy as the fingerprint isnt an actual fingerprint anyway. 3rd parties dont get any data that could compromise you.
    03-01-17 03:24 PM
    Fingerprint data is stored locally in formats inaccessible to apps outside the system instead of being transferred anywhere, or stored as raw images. No actual fingerprints leave the trusted execution environment.
    03-01-17 07:00 PM
    Fingerprint data is stored locally in formats inaccessible to apps outside the system instead of being transferred anywhere, or stored as raw images. No actual fingerprints leave the trusted execution environment.
    As long as it's trusted... ;-)

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-02-17 12:05 AM
    This is the assumption.. and what we are told. Lol aren't conspiracy thoughts fun?

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    03-02-17 07:26 AM

And even if it was taken, what would be done with it? Do you use it for your bank or other things?

Just saying

Posted via CB10
    And no, at least not here in Canada, I had my truck broken into but they found lots of prints, they later confirmed they had no match in the federal database. It was important as my social insurance info and id were taken, apparently You are not on file until you make reasons to be there.

03-02-17 07:30 AM
    As long as it's trusted
    Trusted in computer security means a system that can break your security.

I do not plan to use the fingerprint reader as in the US at least, it has long been decided that you can be compelled to provide fingerprints. The legal protections on passwords are much less cut and dried.
    03-02-17 07:31 AM
    And no, at least not here in Canada, I had my truck broken into but they found lots of prints, they later confirmed they had no match in the federal database. It was important as my social insurance info and id were taken, apparently You are not on file until you make reasons to be there.

Please stop with actual facts. It's become almost impossible to start, let alone support, conspiracy theories here on CrackBerry anymore.

We have to worry about many things, like other uses for tin foil and such.
    03-02-17 07:33 AM
    Please stop with actual facts. It's become almost impossible to start, let alone support, conspiracy theories here on CrackBerry anymore.

Lol I've got my little guy convinced
    BB Mercury Fingerprint Security-20170209_191843.jpg

03-02-17 07:44 AM

Its a serious concern, if people know your fingerprint they can track your locations, its just another way to get information on you.
    03-02-17 07:47 AM
    Lol I've got my little guy convinced
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170209_191843.jpg 
Views:	302 
Size:	28.7 KB 
ID:	418446

haha but you need the one with holes in it, a colander i think its called, not only for airflow but because it stops the spaghetti monsters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Spaghetti_Monster
    03-02-17 07:51 AM
    I'd put this in the category of new technology that's probably not a good idea. Aren't apps currently being developed to let you make purchases with your fingerprint as ID? That's what hackers would go after. How much trust do you put in the companies providing this feature?
    03-02-17 08:11 AM
    I'd put this in the category of new technology that's probably not a good idea. Aren't apps currently being developed to let you make purchases with your fingerprint as ID? That's what hackers would go after. How much trust do you put in the companies providing this feature?
    you are a couple years late to the party...this has been out there for quite awhile. And I trust Apple and Google quite a bit when it comes to how they handle this.
    Elephant_Canyon and TGR1 like this.
    03-02-17 08:51 AM
    Its a serious concern, if people know your fingerprint they can track your locations, its just another way to get information on you.
    You'd think the microchip implanted into your skull at birth would be enough of a way to track you.
    03-02-17 10:41 AM
    Howarmat has a point about the purchase technology already being out there. Fingerprint Cards AB, the Swedish company providing the tech for the KEYone keyboard, is in the biometric retail sales business. Now we have an additional party to place our confidence in, hoping they issue security patches in a timely manner. According to their website they also use a large number of contractors, an unknown factor for us to trust.
    03-02-17 01:18 PM
    How can we be sure our fingerprint data is not sent to third parties or government agencies? I am not very versed in computer technology, but it seems that the fingerprint data can be stored/used. Is it possible for someone to take this data from the phone without you knowing?
    It's BlackBerry. A company which focuses mainly in security. Your fingerprint data won't be sent to any 3rd party. And government agencies have your fingerprints already unless you are completely anonymous. They don't need to request some data from BlackBerry.

As for your question: Yes, it is technically possible, but ONLY if BlackBerry allows this and releases an update with a backdoor inside just as the FBI requested Apple to do, which Apple of course refused. And I'm sure BlackBerry will never want to do this.

Posted through my  Z30
    03-02-17 03:03 PM
    As for your question: Yes, it is technically possible, but ONLY if BlackBerry allows this and releases an update with a backdoor inside just as the FBI requested Apple to do, which Apple of course refused. And I'm sure BlackBerry will never want to do this.
    Yeah, about that.
    03-02-17 06:07 PM
    Could someone confirm this?

FYI, all the companies did and is still doing the same practice as BlackBerry. They help when and where they can as long as a formal request is issued. As long as the data is not encrypted with the data which exists only in the phone.

About that backdoor/trojan horse, if FBI prepares some iPhones or Androids to track some persons, and these persons use them. Then it can't be helped by any system providers. An iPhone can be jailbroken too.

Posted through my  Z30
    03-03-17 12:12 AM

Just saying

Posted via CB10
    What do you mean? My birth certificate doesn't have my fingerprint and how the hell does a traffic cam record biometric data? That said, I visited the US in 2013 and had to submit to a retina scan and fingerprint for the first time in my life. Ironic that I've visited dozens of countries and the one that kept me waiting for two hours to be 'processed' like a sheep was the 'land of the free'. Fine, have my damn fingerprint. If I was doing something I didn't want people to find out about, i'd burn 'em off with salicylic acid which can be bought over the counter in any pharmacy or wear latex gloves. I have long campaigned for the UK to mirror US passport control for US citizens entering our country just to make them feel at home.

Posted via CB10
    03-03-17 12:35 AM
    Could someone confirm this?

FYI, all the companies did and is still doing the same practice as BlackBerry. They help when and where they can as long as a formal request is issued. As long as the data is not encrypted with the data which exists only in the phone.
    BlackBerry's anti-privacy stance has been reported on several times. Most notably, here's Chen weighing in on Apple's fight with the FBI.
    03-03-17 06:05 AM
    You'd think the microchip implanted into your skull at birth would be enough of a way to track you.
    Don't feed the paranoia. Chuck petrol on the fire... ;-)

•   THISone, with the keys, hopefully coming soon to a phone store down unda... :-D   •
    03-04-17 04:26 PM
    BlackBerry's anti-privacy stance has been reported on several times. Most notably, here's Chen weighing in on Apple's fight with the FBI.
    I think BlackBerry's approach is very sensible. They protect privacy under normal circumstances but cooperate with law enforcement when a formal request, under the law, is made. Typically this is basically warrant where probable cause for a specific crime having been committed by a specific suspect has been shown to the satisfaction of a judge.

To me, the same protections that apply to searching one's home should apply to one's physical property, such as phones, journals, etc.

Personally, I WANT crimes investigated and prosecuted for my protection and to prevent a safe haven for criminals communicating over mobile phones.

What I oppose strongly, and what BlackBerry also has opposed, is a "back door" that permits warrantless surveillance that is not subject to judicial review and political accountability.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    03-04-17 04:38 PM
    Don't feed the paranoia. Chuck petrol on the fire... ;-)

I disagree. Feed the fire , pour the gasoline Burn the place down. .......... Might have traces of DNA ... lol
    03-04-17 05:57 PM
    I think BlackBerry's approach is very sensible.
    Did you catch that Chen was completely on the wrong side of the Apple/FBI fight? It sounds like you didn't. Chen either did not understand the implications of what the Feds were asking Apple to do, or didn't care. Either way, he could not have been more wrong.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    03-05-17 09:11 AM
39 12