I just got my storm yesterday. I have a free trial (1month) of Verizon Navigator, which i haven't used. I did notice that my BB Maps GPS was working (sensitive enough to detect when I was walking). The sales rep said that the only GPS I could get was through a Verizon Nav. subscription, so should I expect the GPS on BB Maps to stop working once my free trial is over?
    04-18-09 11:30 AM
    No. Your rep was wrong. GPS will work regardless of whether you subscribe to verizons turn by turn. Navigator.
    Search for google maps. Its better than bb maps.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-09 11:33 AM
    Cool, I just downloaded it, the map is certainly better but I notice my location is quite inaccurate by several blocks (lets say a 5 minute car ride, or a 20 minute walk)
    04-18-09 11:41 AM
    HMake sure you have the newest version, and that your GPS is turned on the options. I have an accuracy of about 3m all the time

04-18-09 11:47 AM
    I see what the problem is. My GPS is turned on (I think since BB Maps works) and I have the newest download (I just downloaded it) but Google help says that the "My location" function uses cell phone towers to triangulate position. This is the beta version of the program so there is some tinkering to be done. None-the-less I'm glad to know that GPS works regardless of having Verizon Nav.
    04-18-09 11:54 AM
    I've been using Google maps since I got my storm last month....like freakberry says don't forget to turn on GPS
    04-18-09 11:54 AM
    I see what the problem is. My GPS is turned on (I think since BB Maps works) and I have the newest download (I just downloaded it) but Google help says that the "My location" function uses cell phone towers to triangulate position. This is the beta version of the program so there is some tinkering to be done. None-the-less I'm glad to know that GPS works regardless of having Verizon Nav.
    If it is using cell phone towers to triangulate your position your gps is not on or you are in an area that the gps signal is not strong. Like the other guy said I normally get position within 3 meters the only time it is using cell phone towers is when I am at work under four floors of and 50 year old college dorm.
    04-18-09 12:09 PM
    There is also a workaround for google maps to get gps signal. leave BB maps running in background tracking you, google maps can then access the gps antenna. google maps can't turn on the antenna by itself apparently, needs another program to activate it first.

I thought this glitch had been fixed in newer updates, but this is the second mention of this problem I've seen today.
    04-18-09 12:14 PM
    My 2 Cents,

You are correct. I did some more directed searching in Google Mobile Help and this is the answer that came from a Google employee:

Question: Google Maps GPS on BlackBerry Storm

Is there a fix in the works for getting the BlackBerry storm GPS working with Google Maps? It just says waiting for GPS, then eventually that GPS is temporarily unavailable.
    Updates:
    - I am provisioned for VZ Navigator - It works fine
    - I've tried running running Google Maps with both VZ Navigator and BB Maps in the background (Both BB Maps and VZ Navigator work with GPS)
    - I've tried every possible GPS setting combination on the storm and still Google Maps v2.3.2 can't figure out how to use the storm's internal GPS

If both BB Maps and VZ Navigator can interact with the GPS system, I don't see any reason Google Maps can't.

And please - stop saying VZW "locked" the GPS on Storms - it's simply not true. BB Maps uses the GPS fine w/o VZ Navigator provisioning. 11/26/08
    The Storm does NOT force Compatibility mode when using Google Maps v2.3.2. Rotating between portrait and landscape works fine, the touch clicking works fine, etc. I have tried manually forcing Compatibility Mode, it has no effect on the GPS. 11/26/08

Google Employee
    11/26/08
    Thom (Google Employee) says this answers the question:
    Hi all,

The BlackBerry Storm uses a highly-customized GUI, which prevents Google Maps for mobile from being viewed in landscape mode. We're still working to integrate the app with this device, and we haven't yet put out a new release since the Storm has launched. *(THIS IS NOW FIXED)* I reallize you're all eager to use your internal GPS with Google Maps for mobile - and we're working to get an update soon. I can't give you a timeline as of today, but I'll update this group when I can give a more accurate picture.

Best,
    Tom

This message was posted on 11/26/08, I just downloaded Google Maps today and I guess they haven't yet figured out how to get Google Maps to operate the GPS on its own (the user who posted the question said that he had to have BB Maps or VZ Nav. running in order for Google Maps to have GPS access).

For those who are getting accurate locations -> is it because BB Maps/VZ Nav. is running or you are in an area with more cell phone towers?
    I'm in a small town in the middle of a lot of cornfields.
    Last edited by Icey6; 04-18-09 at 12:27 PM.
    04-18-09 12:23 PM
    I had problems with the gps getting my location on the original betas of google maps since they weren't fully compatible with the storm and had to use the work-around just to get it to work. I've been using the 3.0.2 version of google maps since release and it picks up my location to about 3m just like freakberry said. Try clicking the little blue dot in the bottom right corner after it finds your location the first time to get it to do a relocation. Also make sure the permissions for google maps has location data set to allow.

04-18-09 12:34 PM
    This message was posted on 11/26/08, I just downloaded Google Maps today and I guess they haven't yet figured out how to get Google Maps to operate the GPS on its own (the user who posted the question said that he had to have BB Maps or VZ Nav. running in order for Google Maps to have GPS access).

For those who are getting accurate locations -> is it because BB Maps/VZ Nav. is running or you are in an area with more cell phone towers?
    I'm in a small town in the middle of a lot of cornfields.
    Thom's message that you cited is old old old. Since then, Google released an updated Google Maps (3.0.2 IIRC) that works perfectly well with the GPS on the Storm.

It doesn't matter if you're in the middle of nowhere. As long as you're outside and have it set up properly Google Maps should pick up your GPS location to within 3-10 meters. If this is the first time you've used it, you may have to wait a few minutes for a lock.

Edit: and no, you don't need anything else running (VZnav/BBmaps) for Google Maps to pick up GPS successfully.
    04-18-09 12:43 PM
    Ahhh, I see what the problem was. I have the newest version but I had to go in and manually adjust the Permissions (Options, Advanced Options, Applications, Google Maps, Menu, Edit Permissions, Allow (all three)).

Now it works to within 7 metres, yay!

Thanks for all your help everybody!!
    04-18-09 12:58 PM
    I haven't had one problem with google maps. when I had my 8330 the gps was locked but with my storm no issue what so ever! Glad you got it figured out though!
    Last edited by bmrobinson; 04-18-09 at 01:11 PM.
    04-18-09 01:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD