Hi folks,
    I'm considering purchasing a new phone, the BB 8330 curve, but have heard it has some limitations like enhanced text messaging with othe4r people that do not use a BB, is this true? I'm not the type that uses the phone as a personal entertainment device e.g. mp player, but would like to know I can if need be. I understand the GSM lock and have no issues with this, I love the Alltel network they have been very good to me thus far. My fear is not being able to send a MMS to my son who has a razor. His co worker has a BB and they cannot exchange pics, he can only exchange them with another BB user. TIA
    03-22-09 09:49 PM
    Pros:
    Instant Email
    BlackBerry Messenger
    Security

Cons:
    P!ss poor memory (on all devices)
    Atrocious multimedia functionality
    Not nearly enough good and well made 3rd party apps
    Inability to run apps from the memory card
    Inability to backup to the memory card
    03-22-09 09:54 PM
    If a modern Blackberry has a problem with MMS it is a restriction imposed by the service provider(s)

And of course if AG upgraded his devices memory and multimedia would not be on his list
    03-23-09 02:09 AM
    Point taken Branta. I am actually going to pull the trigger on a
    8900 soon. But still, why these things don't have at least a gig of
    usable memory defies logic.

The multimedia thing won't change though. In my honest opinion
    the BlackBerry, every single one, truly blows on that score.
    03-23-09 02:17 AM
    Point taken Branta. I am actually going to pull the trigger on a
    8900 soon. But still, why these things don't have at least a gig of

The multimedia thing won't change though. In my honest opinion
    the BlackBerry, every single one, truly blows on that score.
    The blackberry was never designed as a multimedia platform. Since the company decided to go after a more mainstream customer they've been playing catchup in that department. Hopefully 5.0 will fix that when it arrives.
    03-23-09 02:21 AM
    The blackberry was never designed as a multimedia platform.
    My point exactly. And the OS probably won't make a whit of difference. Unless
    the entire line is designed with multimedia at the forefront and not an
    afterthought (as it is now, to make inroads into the consumer space) the BB
    will continue to suck in this regard.
    03-23-09 02:25 AM
    To the OP, I am also on Alltel with an 8330, and I have no issues with MMS'ing to the wife's Razor.
    03-23-09 08:52 AM
    I'm quite happy with the multimedia on my Storm.
    03-23-09 08:57 AM
    multimedia on my bold is very comparable to that of my old iphone, and it has a gig of built in memory. but i still place my songs and movies on my sd card.
    03-23-09 09:11 AM
    I have yet to see any major limitations on my Curve. It's allot better than my old Q, or the horrendous Razor... That thing was a piece...
    03-23-09 09:49 AM
    i had a curve for a year and see no downfalls.
    03-23-09 12:27 PM
    Cons:
    Inability to run apps from the memory card
    Inability to backup to the memory card
    I will complain about this until I go to my grave as well. I still think it's going to take another three new devices for us to be able to do this.
    03-23-09 12:31 PM
    I agree with all of the above-mentioned issues. With regard to the multimedia, if you take all the necessary steps, a movie or show can look pretty amazing on the Bold. Music sounds pretty good coming from the speakers. But as mentioned, the BB wasn't designed to be a top notch multimedia device.

It works well for what it was designed to do. Keep you up to date on all your e-mails/messages.

I would like to see some major improvements in the upcoming models, though. (who wouldn't?!?)
    03-23-09 12:43 PM
    But still, why these things don't have at least a gig of
    The strange thing is that users complain about available memory, but the Java apps seen to be remarkably efficient. I've never heard of anyone with recent models (Bold and later) who managed to install enough to use all the available memory. I get the impression it's a combination of "computers needs gigabytes" mentality, and Sheep Syndrome - they all follow on the first demand because it seems like a smart thing to do.

And before any lurkers jump in to waffle about memory leaks - if there's a memory leak it needs to be fixed. More memory is not a solution for buggy applications, and a leaking device WILL CRASH regardless of whether it has 20 megabytes or 20 terabytes of memory to play in.
    03-23-09 05:51 PM

Atrocious multimedia functionality
    I find the Media Player awesome! All I use it for is pics and music, and it works flawlessly. I love how the side keys can scroll through songs.
    03-23-09 06:38 PM
    I find the Media Player awesome! All I use it for is pics and music, and it works flawlessly. I love how the side keys can scroll through songs.
    Well nothing can really make Miley and Taylor Swift sound any worse

And do not go getting all upset. It's just good natured ribbing.
    03-23-09 06:42 PM
    Well nothing can really make Miley and Taylor Swift sound any worse

And do not go getting all upset. It's just good natured ribbing.
    Oh man I just spit my water when I read that
    03-23-09 06:51 PM
    I like the media player fine I play videos all the time.

Music you have to hook it to the input on a stereo or headphones what phone has speakers good enough to play music.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-23-09 06:55 PM
    Yes my Blackberry has serious limitations. I asked it to do my taxes and it only gave me the number of an accountant. I asked it to drive me home and it called me a Taxi. I asked it to entertain me, and well.. ok, it did do that.
    03-23-09 08:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD