I think this was discussed prior, but is it possible to use the BB without BIS or BES service? And still use internet functions?

What would be crippled?
    05-02-08 09:27 AM
    If you have a curve that is wifi enabled, then yes. Otherwise "no" with caveats. Your provider may simply put you on a pay-as-you-go data plan which means you pay by the kB for the data you use.
    05-02-08 09:38 AM
    Any of the '20 models can use the Browser through the Wifi connection. Browser is the only application that uses the connection at this time.

Having a Browser in your hand is hardly crippled. Email can be accessed as can most web sites.

What you will lose, is pushed email. That is what makes BlackBerry so addictive.

If you don't use a '20, only the PDA functions work, you are effectively crippled.
    05-02-08 10:44 AM
    Maybe STUPID QUESTIONS:
    1) If I got rid of my data plan, then no Google Maps or AccuWeather, etc. app's (unless I did the per kB thing)?
    2) Would PIN messages and BB Messenger still work?
    05-02-08 11:55 AM
    ff/emt
    I think the pin messages and bb messanger are BIS features.

My plan is to give my 8830 to my best friend when I get my 8330 from verizon. Just trying to give him the best advice for what plan he should get.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-02-08 12:32 PM
    Maybe STUPID QUESTIONS:
    1) If I got rid of my data plan, then no Google Maps or AccuWeather, etc. app's (unless I did the per kB thing)?
    2) Would PIN messages and BB Messenger still work?
    1. Correct. Unless you have ANY type of Data Plan
    2. Not without a BIS plan

I have a pre-paid data plan, and I can use my Cingular Browser for OTA, etc, and have Weather apps and Google Maps working fine, but it took until last night to get it to work right. (Check my posts for how)
    05-12-11 01:08 AM
    1. Correct. Unless you have ANY type of Data Plan
    Not for me Only the Browser works any all applications for a short time after a reboot.
    05-12-11 04:40 AM
    ^^ This is a 3 year old thread you replied to. I don't think ff/emt is still waiting for the answer.
    05-12-11 11:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD