They are leading in other markets but US media doesn't print that.
    Think about what you wrote for a hot second.
    08-19-12 01:21 PM
    Think about what you wrote for a hot second.
    What you mean to not report truth? My main post is how the tech sites that are predominately American look to bury RIM but it is strong in other markets. You have to dig to find that out. No mystery there.
    08-19-12 01:29 PM
    What you mean to not report truth? My main post is how the tech sites that are predominately American look to bury RIM but it is strong in other markets. You have to dig to find that out. No mystery there.
    Samsung is beating RIM in India too.
    While Nokia emerged as the leader in the smartphones segment with a 38 per cent share, Samsung (28 per cent) and Research in Motion (15 per cent) share followed in the list.
    There is also another company called Micromax that is hoping to gain a strong foothold in India.

Micromax eyes No 2 slot in India smartphone market - The Economic Times
    08-19-12 01:38 PM
    The American press is not out to get RIM, but that is really neither here nor there. I think we can both agree that the American press has a vested interest in reporting American news first.

Fact: RIM is not doing well. The press didn't do that; no cabal of RIM-hating tech overlords did that. "Lazy" consumers didn't do that. RIM did.
    MobileMadness002 likes this.
    08-19-12 01:41 PM
    I believe there is just more news to "spin" when it comes to Apple and Android because there is a larger market share and so more people will likely click on a story (and see the associated ads) having to do with those.

For example, I have read PLENTY of newsfeed articles that have absolutely NOTHING to do with Apple but they mention "Apple" or "iPad" in the article in passing, when it has no relevance, even as a comparative in the story.

Why do they say it? Maybe because most lay people have no clue what a tablet it, they just know what an iPad is.

Sometimes it is just name-dropping to feed search engines. Sometimes they add to the headlines just to make people click and read.

Seriously, I wish I copied down all the articles that have done this. I could have sold a book! Literally, people would think it is all about Apple but when they read it, would have nothing to do with it!

And there is the answer folks... It is about sales, and article clicks and writing about something people care about. It is self-perpetuating and feeds back on itself.

Look at the rumour-mill over the new dock connector and iPad mini. Every day some leaked image this or some news report that.... And people aren't sick of it at all.

There are also more people working on Apple and Android, so there is just more "buzz" related to it. Good or bad, the "buzz" puts those companies in the public eye as "happening".

RIM is quietly working away in their corner getting BB10 ready and that is all the news anyone wants to hear. Occsasional "leaks" of screens and beta hardware, specs, launch dates, prices... Otherwise quietly slipping under the radar.

I love RIM and hope to see their marketing people start "spinning" the media and attract "buzz" and attention, but so far Apple and Android are such GIANTS that they will squash any RIM news.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    axeman1000 and elmit22 like this.
    08-19-12 01:44 PM
    Actually, it is quite real. In the world of advertising it is called complimentary copy. You should nstart paying attention to the ads that sites run next to those articles.
    And the only time you see that at a reputable online publication is typically with Google ads or other stuff that is back filled with algorithm-generated links. In that case, yah you might see a text spot for the same and product or product or category mentioned in a post, but that stuff is automated (and usually VERY inexpensive, hence why it is backfill).

Look, I'm not going to say that all media sites operate with a working Chinese Wall (that means advertisers are separate from but your major publication absolutely do. Your major outlets, BGR, TechCrunch, CNET, The Verge, Engadget, Gizmodo, WSJ, New York Times, Wired, ZDNet, etc. do not mix editorial and advertising. It's just bad business.

I'm an editor at a major technology site -- I have absolutely no contact with advertisers. When I deal with a company that happens to be an advertiser, I'm dealing with people in totally different divisions (often even separate locations), it's not connected. Moreover, what I write is NEVER influenced by advertisers. Ever. I would quit if asked to do that. My name and reputation is worth more than that.

The truth is, RIM's story today is about waiting for the future. As far as I'm concerned the PlayBook already got two reviews. The initial review and the "reset" with PB 2.0 software.

What more can I be expected to write about a product 18 months old that is only nominally of value if you get it for under $200 (and even then, the Nexus 7 16GB at $250 is a better all around buy)? I'm sorry if that offends PlayBook fans, but my job is not to be RIM's public relations team, just as it isn't my job to be Google or Apple's PR.

It's one thing for dedicated news and fan sites for one brand or platform, but if you cover a larger swath of companies, it's not a good source of resources to report every time RIM updates its Twitter client (unless the update offers major new features). Maybe some day that will change -- a RIM Twitter update was news a few years ago -- but today it just isn't.
    08-19-12 01:51 PM
    Here is an article from a UK source that mentions the decline of Nokia, RIM, and HTC; the failures of Siemens and Motorola (both bought out) are also mentioned.

It is not just an "Android marketing" thing. HTC mainly sells devices running Android. However, the lacklustre sales of the One X have hurt HTC.
    08-19-12 01:55 PM
    And the only time you see that at a reputable online publication is typically with Google ads or other stuff that is back filled with algorithm-generated links. In that case, yah you might see a text spot for the same and product or product or category mentioned in a post, but that stuff is automated (and usually VERY inexpensive, hence why it is backfill).

Look, I'm not going to say that all media sites operate with a working Chinese Wall (that means advertisers are separate from but your major publication absolutely do. Your major outlets, BGR, TechCrunch, CNET, The Verge, Engadget, Gizmodo, WSJ, New York Times, Wired, ZDNet, etc. do not mix editorial and advertising. It's just bad business.

I'm an editor at a major technology site -- I have absolutely no contact with advertisers. When I deal with a company that happens to be an advertiser, I'm dealing with people in totally different divisions (often even separate locations), it's not connected. Moreover, what I write is NEVER influenced by advertisers. Ever. I would quit if asked to do that. My name and reputation is worth more than that.

The truth is, RIM's story today is about waiting for the future. As far as I'm concerned the PlayBook already got two reviews. The initial review and the "reset" with PB 2.0 software.

What more can I be expected to write about a product 18 months old that is only nominally of value if you get it for under $200 (and even then, the Nexus 7 16GB at $250 is a better all around buy)? I'm sorry if that offends PlayBook fans, but my job is not to be RIM's public relations team, just as it isn't my job to be Google or Apple's PR.

It's one thing for dedicated news and fan sites for one brand or platform, but if you cover a larger swath of companies, it's not a good source of resources to report every time RIM updates its Twitter client (unless the update offers major new features). Maybe some day that will change -- a RIM Twitter update was news a few years ago -- but today it just isn't.
    You can leave the logic at the door, thank you very much. I do NOT want to read common sense.

You (you, your fellow writers, all of America, you) are responsible for RIM's poor performance. You know people are "followers."

You.
    filmgirl and mikeo007 like this.
    08-19-12 02:30 PM
    I'm in the UK and I occasionally like to watch live baseball games on tv. I can't remember which channel but I have twice heard the commentators promote the MLB at Bat app for every phone platform, except BlackBerry. They are not at fault themselves, they are only reading from a script.
    08-19-12 02:45 PM
    I'm in the UK and I occasionally like to watch live baseball games on tv. I can't remember which channel but I have twice heard the commentators promote the MLB at Bat app for every phone platform, except BlackBerry. They are not at fault themselves, they are only reading from a script.
    The MLB at Bat app does not support watching live games on BlackBerry or Windows Phone.

The iOS and Android apps do support watching live games.

MLB.com At Bat 12 | MLB.com: Mobile
    08-19-12 03:05 PM
    Why would Apple or Android have time to squash RIM news? RIM has done nothing newsworthy for quite a long time - except delay launching their new phones and steadily lose market share. And whenever I mention BlackBerry to people these days the reply is "are they still around?" Outside the blackberry forum RIM is all but invisible. And that's their fault.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    08-19-12 03:20 PM
    Guess there is no RIM news to squash. So the press must go on. We will hear nothing until BB10 is out the door, and Kevin shaves his beard. :-)

Meanwhile, Apple and Android are the talk of the town.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-19-12 04:23 PM
    I am currently gophone with at&t (my old 3gs) but checked out 1 year contract (hate 2 year committments) pricing for all BB's on at&t the other day. They are all woefully overpriced - even the bold 9700 was about 250.00 on a 1 year contract and the 9900 was like 450.00 (+ sales tax in Ca for retail price) ! I think RIMM should discount the heck out of these phones or wait and sell them as cheap paperweights when qnx versions come out.
    08-19-12 05:00 PM
    If you think the media does not at all impact consumer decisions, I am at a loss for words.

Anyone that has looked at rimm cash flow statement and balance sheet knows rimm is in a strong financial positioning and is generating cash. Tell us why everyone thinks rimm is about to go under. People didn't look at the financials (obviously) so what is the source for this misinformation that the general public has?

And in turn, do Lemmings want to buy a product they think (incorrectly so) is being made from a soon to be bankrupt company?

If RIMM launches BB10 in the US propelry, they will be featured guests one morning, all morning, on CNBC. They will go on all the new TV putlets. They will send BB10s to every tech site on the internet (gizmodo, anandtech, etc). If this type of activity has 0 impact in your eyes I am at a bigger loss of words than I could have expected.
    Last edited by kfh227; 08-19-12 at 05:31 PM.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    08-19-12 05:28 PM
    If you think the media does not at all impact consumer decisions, I am at a loss for words.

Anyone that has looked at rimm cash flow statement and balance sheet knows rimm is in a strong financial positioning and is generating cash. Tell us why everyone thinks rimm is about to go under. People didn't look at the financials (obviously) so what is the source for this misinformation that the general public has?

And in turn, do Lemmings want to buy a product they think (incorrectly so) is being made from a soon to be bankrupt company?
    So... in some weird, macabre dystopian twist, the world came together, circa 2007, to rid itself of the technological giant euphemistically known as RIM... and they toppled RIM, with no input from RIM.

I know there is a built-in sentiment to feel sorry for lil ole RIM, but ignoring the fact that RIM did the VAST majority of the damage to itself is silly.
    08-19-12 05:35 PM
    I am in London at the moment (UK) and I can't help noticing how almost everyone seems to have an iphone or Android. Last year when I was here there were definitely more Blackberries. I am surprised to see so many Androids. My friends tell me many people carry two mobile phones here - one that work gives them and the other one for themselves. I suspect the work ones are the Blackberries. RIM will have its work cut out. I went to get my local sim and couldn't recall even seeing a BlackBerry. I did see Androids and iphones on display though. I see ads for I products and Android but none for BlackBerry at all. I ask myself how they are going to get back that mind share. Ans: they won't. Unless they do something extraordinary.

08-19-12 06:30 PM
    I think the current RIM products are lower end products, as compared to Apple and Android based phones.
    When BB10 comes out, they will have no legitimate reason not to include them.
    Unfortunately, that was not the case for Nokia.
    08-19-12 06:39 PM
    I am in London at the moment (UK) and I can't help noticing how almost everyone seems to have an iphone or Android. Last year when I was here there were definitely more Blackberries. I am surprised to see so many Androids. My friends tell me many people carry two mobile phones here - one that work gives them and the other one for themselves. I suspect the work ones are the Blackberries. RIM will have its work cut out. I went to get my local sim and couldn't recall even seeing a BlackBerry. I did see Androids and iphones on display though. I see ads for I products and Android but none for BlackBerry at all. I ask myself how they are going to get back that mind share. Ans: they won't. Unless they do something extraordinary.

When their BlackBerry work phones are BB10 touchscreen phones, they will realize there is no longer any need to carry an additional personal phone.
    This will get these new phones back in people's minds.
    08-19-12 06:45 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD