Vodacom has revealed that there are currently 3.1 million BlackBerry phones, 1 million Android smartphones, 600,000 iOS/iPhones and 150,000 Windows mobile devices on its network.

In its preliminary results for the year ended 31 March 2013, Vodacom said that it has 6 millionactive smartphones on its network, an increase of 1.2 million year-on-year.

BlackBerry remains the most popular smartphone on the Vodacom network, but its growth has slowed significantly.

In March Vodacom said that it had 3 million BlackBerry devices, 800,000 Android phones, 400,000 iOS/iPhones and 165,000 Windows smartphones on its network.

Note: Blackberry has more customers than Android, iOS and Windows combined.

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/cellul...s-windows.html

Posted via CB10
    southlander and schmeat like this.
    05-23-13 08:40 AM
    That number should increase now that BB10 is out.
    q649 likes this.
    05-23-13 09:51 AM
    The number yes as more people buy smartphones, but I don't think BlackBerry can grow their market share beyond this.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 10:21 AM
    There is only one network in South Africa? I didn't know that - the troubling stat for BB is that android is now growing at twice their rate.
    05-23-13 10:44 AM
    So a major market for BB but a decimal point for Apple and Android. The key here is to get the Q5 to that market and to improve existing BBOS phones in that market. We are not sure what will happen when BBM goes to those other two platforms. The switch to those other platforms may accelerate but BBM should be the standard. I hope they can make some money from BBM ... not sure how.
    05-23-13 11:13 AM
    Nope, not only one. 3 major ones.
    One of the major reasons why BlackBerry are so strong is due to the BIS on the legacy OSs

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 04:09 PM
    Q5 needs to hit this area yesterday...
    andrew1479 likes this.
    05-23-13 04:39 PM
    There is only one network in South Africa? I didn't know that - the troubling stat for BB is that android is now growing at twice their rate.
    Android is a worthy competitor. But BB has a very good base to start with. The hardest thing is not to loose the postitions.
    05-24-13 04:13 AM
    Depends. Many people probably chose BlackBerry there for cheap unlimited plans and cheaper phones like the 93xx line. Now that BB10 ends the cheap unlimited plans, and the hardware is more expensive, the competition from cheap android phones will be far greater. Plus when I watch South African Super Rugby matches the Man of the Match is being give Samsung Galaxy S3 every week. Also the more well to do people there I know have been switching to iPhone and Samsung. BlackBerry should be working their strong carrier partners to make sure that those are Z10 devices being handed out.

I really think BlackBerry needs a Z5 to round out the product line and compete with cheap android all touch market.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-24-13 09:21 AM
    Haha no there are many. There is Vodacom ( the oldest and best in my opinion, MTN, cellc, 8ta, And Virgin

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 04:52 PM
    I hope BlackBerry is not publishing BBM for Android in South Africa and Indonesia.
    07-29-13 08:17 PM
    I hope BlackBerry is not publishing BBM for Android in South Africa and Indonesia.
    That's a good point. Cross platform bbm is a great idea for developed markets but it will hurt blackberry a lot in developing ones. I wonder if there's a way they can limit it to the US and western Europe to begin with

Posted via CB10
    07-29-13 08:41 PM
    Even if you could limit it to specific regions, people would just side load it to get around it.
    07-30-13 05:21 PM