Many Android users will be familiar with the app called Greenify. This is a power-saving app that allows the user to create a list of apps that, when closed, are forced to "hibernate." That is, they are not allowed to run in the background. It is therefore similar in function to the BB10 option to deny apps the right to "run when minimized." The creators of Greenify point out that the app wouldn't be necessary if apps were "well behaved" in the first place, but unfortunately many are not. Some apps insist on loading themselves back into memory and using CPU time even after the user has "closed" them, using battery power.

(For the record, the same issue exists in BBOS. I discovered that some apps, such as Pandora, could not be removed from RAM or turned off without uninstalling.)

Android M has "Doze", which effectively hibernates many apps when the phone is not in use, but this doesn't make Greenify useless, because when the phone is in use, Doze does nothing and those background apps can merrily back to doing whatever they're doing. Greenify keeps them in hibernation until the user actually runs them again. So Greenify serves a purpose, even on Android M.

Greenify can work on an unrooted device, but for some features it needs root. Therefore, it can't work at its best on BB Android devices.

Which brings me to my point. I don't own a BB Android device (yet). I don't know if BB's flavor of Android has anything like BB10's option to deny apps the right to run when minimized. But I'm inclined to doubt it, since by all accounts they've chosen to keep Android as close to stock as possible, apart from the launcher and certain apps. So I'm thinking that it might make sense for BB either to create their own app like Greenify and bundle it with their suite of apps or partner with Greenify to use theirs. Doing it this way would allow updates without waiting for OS updates.

I guess my question, for those of you who know a lot more about this than I do, is: Does this sound like a Good Idea?
    Last edited by ubizmo; 08-11-16 at 10:02 AM.
    08-10-16 10:58 AM
    Actually been trying Greenify for about a week now... not really for battery saving, just that I don't like all the apps that run in the background.
    08-10-16 12:01 PM
    I also use Greenify on my Android and I love it. I feel as though it saves battery because i have it shut down about 15 apps.
    As for BB developing one, i don't see how it could hurt as long as users have the option to turn it on and off.
    08-10-16 12:03 PM
    Go ahead and give it a go. Its a great app, been using it On and Off since my GS2, if I remember correctly.
    The app is also full of explanations of what each function does and so-on, so even if you are new, you should be fine.
    08-10-16 02:19 PM
    My question is really about whether BlackBerry should bundle Greenify or something like it into its Android OS, as an optional part of their software suite. I do use Greenify (root version) on my OnePlus One, and I think it's a good app. But a lot of people don't know what it is. I had the idea that another way BlackBerry could differentiate itself from other versions of Android is to offer something like it that could appear in the BlackBerry Hub and Services list.
    08-11-16 10:08 AM
    Bbry doesn't have an android OS -I could be wrong but beyond really blunt 'battery saver modes' - i don't think King Google allows you to bundle in anything that cuts across the functions of doze.
    08-11-16 12:59 PM
    Doze is alot better under Nougat and the only thing BB should do is put the battery saving mode into a Quick Toggle option. The number of BB Android users that want a granular solution like Greenify is less than those who wanted Blend.
    08-11-16 01:11 PM
    My question is really about whether BlackBerry should bundle Greenify or something like it into its Android OS, as an optional part of their software suite. I do use Greenify (root version) on my OnePlus One, and I think it's a good app. But a lot of people don't know what it is. I had the idea that another way BlackBerry could differentiate itself from other versions of Android is to offer something like it that could appear in the BlackBerry Hub and Services list.
    Samsung does have a similar sort of thing going, so your idea is certainly good.

Samsung has Smart Manager, now if you remember last year the S6 range of phones and even the Note5 were all being criticised for closing apps too soon etc... Well this was due to the Aggressive default mode Samsung set Smart Manager.

It allows us to choose apps that can be closed after a certain period and optimised for battery saving and what apps to leave alone.

Helps a lot in controlling what stays in RAM and what doesn't.
    I like tinkering with things like that, so I'd say its a great idea.
    ubizmo and cgk like this.
    08-11-16 01:54 PM
    I didn't know Samsung had that, but it looks good. The trick is to do it on a way that won't create major speed bumps for OS updates.
    08-11-16 01:56 PM
    Would this not be the same thing on BlackBerry as what's on the samsung pics above?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    Attached Thumbnails BB Greenify?-14429.jpg  
    08-20-16 10:37 AM

Attached Thumbnails BB Greenify?-14428.jpg  
    08-20-16 10:38 AM
    I'm curious, I've been testing Greenify a bit, but has anybody else used the app Shutup paired with their other app Doze?

I've noticed it uses more Ram itself than Greenify but seems to offer some nice features of its own to improve on the built in doze in marshmallow. Also uses the sensors in the phone so when your phone is in your pocket it will restrict apps

Anybody try both extensively and can say which is better?

08-20-16 10:41 AM