I have a curve 8310 and my question is..how does the gps app. works on a BB. Do u need a Data plan for it to work? Does it used the BIS for it to work?
    01-29-08 08:59 PM
    The GPS functions like this:

There's a GPS receiver in the BB...it is able to interpret signals from the GPS satalites. Using just this, you can go to options/GPS and "refresh" to get your currently location in long/lat.

In addition, you can use BB Maps. This used the above mentioned GPS receiver to get your location, and then downloads a map of your current location using the BIS CONNECTION which you get with your DATA PLAN.

Short answer is yes, you need a data plan.....
    01-29-08 09:27 PM
    Unless you pay full price (ie no 2 yr service plan) you probably have some type of data plan when you got the unit. As for the quality, it is GREAT. We use it as part of our application and it works just fine. BUT, VZ does not enable it, so the mapping on those relies on cell tower triangulation - not very accurate at all.

I have a curve 8310 and my question is..how does the gps app. works on a BB. Do u need a Data plan for it to work? Does it used the BIS for it to work?
    03-02-08 12:25 PM
    And if you had Verizon it just wouldn't work -
    03-02-08 08:59 PM
    Go to pinstack.com forum and search for the mapquest navigator. It's just like Telenav but it's free.

Someone posted on pinstack the old version, so it's free. The new version of mapquest requires a subscription fee. Get the old version, it'll run just fine on your curve (i've been using it for almost a month now).
    03-02-08 09:18 PM
    Does Alltel enable the GPS?
    03-04-08 08:58 PM
    That would be on an 8830 Alltel
    03-04-08 08:59 PM
    what is a dataplan. I have a new blackberry and with orange france. I am trying to use maps but the only option i have is orange browser. how do i get bb internet browser?

thanks
    03-09-08 08:19 AM
    is the telenav free? im on a family plan and it doesnt allow internet only unlimited txt messages>
    03-12-08 07:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD