Hey,

I use my blackberry pearl with BIS.
    I have my bb setup through BIS to access my gmail account.

In my gmail account, I have various folders setup for different law school classes.

I was using outlook rules to sort mail from each class to various folders.
    The problem with that approach is that mail read on my blackberry, because it is an already read header, outlook won't process rules for read messages.

The other approach, creating filters through gmail, to automatically assign a label, and not keep a copy in the inbox, to move mail to a specific folder works.
    However the message doesn't show up on my blackberry since I guess it is only getting mail from the main inbox.

If anyone knows of a solution, to be able to get all my mail on both the blackberry and computer, and have rules/filters applied while still getting mail on blackberry, please let me know.

-Mike
    09-21-08 07:14 PM
    Under BIS, only mail received in the inbox will be delivered to a BB device. Also BIS does not have the capability to handle sub folders. However, BES does have the ability to read sub folders.

The only thing I can think of that may work for you is using the Gmail app instead of having Gmail pushed to your BB. It might not get to you instantly on your BB, but you will have a fair amount of the same features as Gmail provides using their app.
    09-21-08 07:21 PM
    I use the gmail app for those same reasons. I also have my gmail being pushed thru bis so I can receive it instant. I set the rules for the app not to notify me when I get new mail since I am being notified thru bis. With the app I still get to access my subfolders.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-08 07:27 PM
    It sounds like you're using IMAP on both BIS and Outlook. If that's the case, then setting up BIS to use POP3 instead, combined with Gmail filters, may solve your problem.

With BIS using IMAP on a Gmail account, only messages in your Inbox will be pushed to your BB. Messages that are removed from the Inbox by Gmail filters won't get pushed to your BB. This assumes that you have no BIS filters setup.

With BIS using POP3 on a Gmail account, all messages except Gmail-identified SPAM will be pushed to your BB (again, assuming no BIS filters).

Another alternative is to continue using IMAP on both BIS and Outlook, but have the Gmail filters leave the messages in the Inbox. That way they'll still get pushed to your BB, and when you "delete" them "on mailbox & handheld", they'll actually get archived in Gmail (not deleted).
    09-21-08 09:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD