So I'm looking to pick up a used BB to get me by until I can upgrade next July. I don't have or want to spend alot on a device I'll probably only use for 6 months or so. I can get a Curve 8330 pretty reasonably it seems, or do I try to find a Tour?

It seems silly to spend upwards of $125-$150 on a device that is or will soon be outdated and discontinued. I know the 8330 is already there, but if I only have to stick $50-$75 in it that seems a bit more sensible.

If only I could use my old Alltel 8330 I have, but alas.....

So, what would you do? Pick up a cheap but good 8330 or lay down the $$ for a Tour?
    11-30-10 05:52 PM
    So I'm looking to pick up a used BB to get me by until I can upgrade next July. I don't have or want to spend alot on a device I'll probably only use for 6 months or so. I can get a Curve 8330 pretty reasonably it seems, or do I try to find a Tour?

It seems silly to spend upwards of $125-$150 on a device that is or will soon be outdated and discontinued. I know the 8330 is already there, but if I only have to stick $50-$75 in it that seems a bit more sensible.

So, what would you do? Pick up a cheap but good 8330 or lay down the $$ for a Tour?
    In the past I've used both an 8330 Curve and a 9630 Tour. The Tour is Rev A (faster connection speeds) and has a better screen, camera, keyboard layout (imo), and much more memory.

The 8330 had a better/stronger radio and quicker reboot times than the Tour by a somewhat significant margin.

Taking all of the above into account, if I absolutely had to give up my D2 and go back to one of those BB's, it would be the Tour, although I would not do so willingly.
    11-30-10 06:24 PM
    In the past I've used both an 8330 Curve and a 9630 Tour. The Tour is Rev A (faster connection speeds) and has a better screen, camera, keyboard layout (imo), and much more memory.

The 8330 had a better/stronger radio and quicker reboot times than the Tour by a somewhat significant margin.

Taking all of the above into account, if I absolutely had to give up my D2 and go back to one of those BB's, it would be the Tour, although I would not do so willingly.
    I also have used both in the past. I upgraded from the 8330 to the Tour when my market went from Alltel to VZW. I got rid of my Tour when I couldn't (didn't want) to afford the data plan anymore. Now that I'm on the new unlimited promotional plan I'm back on a smartphone. I picked up a used Eris, but just can't get down with the virtual keyboard and miss the BB platform.

So really just looking to get back to the BB and a physical keyboard for the 6+ months until I can do a proper upgrade.

The Tour is definitely the nicer device like you said, but seeing as how it's becoming outdated software wise, it's hard to swallow the $150ish it takes to pick up a used one.
    11-30-10 06:34 PM
    I also have used both in the past. I upgraded from the 8330 to the Tour when my market went from Alltel to VZW. I got rid of my Tour when I couldn't (didn't want) to afford the data plan anymore. Now that I'm on the new unlimited promotional plan I'm back on a smartphone. I picked up a used Eris, but just can't get down with the virtual keyboard and miss the BB platform.

So really just looking to get back to the BB and a physical keyboard for the 6+ months until I can do a proper upgrade.

The Tour is definitely the nicer device like you said, but seeing as how it's becoming outdated software wise, it's hard to swallow the $150ish it takes to pick up a used one.
    Then again, I don't think I would anticipate too much more depreciation on the prices over that timeframe, so when you do your real upgrade you could probably get most of the cost back.
    11-30-10 06:44 PM
    Then again, I don't think I would anticipate too much more depreciation on the prices over that timeframe, so when you do your real upgrade you could probably get most of the cost back.
    That's something I hadn't considered, but a good point. If I could find a decent used Tour for under $150 I would probably consider that.

I'm afraid I'd lay down $75 for an 8330 only to get annoyed with it since I have used a Tour and then end up with two devices. and even more money shelled out.
    11-30-10 06:48 PM
    Honestly, to have it 7-8 months, you're probably going to be more gratified with the Tour. I've had both, absolutely loved my Curve, but I wouldn't downgrade back from my Tour, which has been great. Plus, I can use it at night without driving my wife bonkers with the louder keyboard that Curve has.

Keep your eyes peeled, there was an inexpensive Tour in here the other day in the Marketplace. Quick inspection showed at least 2 VZW Tours went for a Benjamin apiece.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-01-10 at 12:43 AM.
    11-30-10 11:57 PM
    there are also inexpensive Curve 8330s flying around the marketplace..in mint condition too I've heard..

what a shameless plug that was..
    12-01-10 12:07 AM
    Just take a look on craigslist for some curve 8530s as Ive seen them going for
    $50+. I guarantee you'll get annoyed with the 8330s lack of memory after a month or so cause I did.
    12-01-10 12:10 AM
    For me - the Tour loses automatically for not having WiFi Maybe thats just me though!
    12-01-10 12:24 AM
    For me - the Tour loses automatically for not having WiFi Maybe thats just me though!
    Yeah, but OP mentions nothing about having a need of Wi-Fi. If one's network cuts the mustard, Wi-Fi is nice to have, but notta gotta.

12-01-10 12:39 AM
    I second the motion that the 8330 would be too slow and laggy, especially if one is coming from an Android device.

The 9630 or 8530 would be a better choice.
    12-01-10 12:44 AM
    depends what's more important to you for the next 6-8 months til upgrade

cost - go curve, less perf but save $$
    perf - go tour, better perf but more $$
    12-01-10 07:33 AM
    Honestly, to have it 7-8 months, you're probably going to be more gratified with the Tour. I've had both, absolutely loved my Curve, but I wouldn't downgrade back from my Tour, which has been great. Plus, I can use it at night without driving my wife bonkers with the louder keyboard that Curve has.

Keep your eyes peeled, there was an inexpensive Tour in here the other day in the Marketplace. Quick inspection showed at least 2 VZW Tours went for a Benjamin apiece.

I agree, the keyboard on the Curve is indeed rather annoying.

I did see at least one Tour go for $100 not long ago, I wasn't fast enough on that though. I will keep my eyes open. I check my local CL ads daily as well.
    12-01-10 08:41 AM
    there are also inexpensive Curve 8330s flying around the marketplace..in mint condition too I've heard..

what a shameless plug that was..
    Haha! Nice plug. I'm still keeping that in mind to be sure.
    12-01-10 08:42 AM
    I second the motion that the 8330 would be too slow and laggy, especially if one is coming from an Android device.

The 9630 or 8530 would be a better choice.
    Well coming from an Eris, lag is something I'm used to (even running rooted with a different ROM) but to go lag free would be much preferred.

Wifi isn't a necessity. I have solid signal everywhere that I really want/need to use my phone. With unlimited data I don't see a huge use for wifi I guess in most cases. Plus, if I'm out and really need something on wifi there's always my iPod Touch for that.

Sounds like the concensus is if I can score a decently priced Tour that's the way to go. And I agree. I want to get into a BB but I don't want to rush it and just take whatever is affordable ATM and then regret it later.

The Tour really is a nice device, imo.
    Last edited by KJoFan; 12-01-10 at 08:45 AM.
    12-01-10 08:43 AM
    My new/used Tour should arrive in a few days.

Yippee!
    12-04-10 12:39 PM
    Congrats. I was going to say to me the best would be the 8530. You get wifi, nicer OS, more memory, shouldn't cost to much and you could re-sell it for pretty much the same in 6mos.
    12-04-10 08:24 PM

I would get a Tour. I have had the 8330 and upgraded to 8520 then to Tour. Tour is much better and quieter keys...a must for me since I text at work. Contact your carrier to see if they have refurbished ones without contract extension for sell.

12-04-10 10:32 PM
    Have a look in the market place on this forum

12-05-10 02:31 AM
    Congrats. I was going to say to me the best would be the 8530. You get wifi, nicer OS, more memory, shouldn't cost to much and you could re-sell it for pretty much the same in 6mos.
    I don't really have a need for wifi I guess. Yes, I think it's a nice feature but I have it on my Eris right now and never use it. Is it better to use wifi for data usage over the network if able or does it not really matter aside from data usage itself?

I would get a Tour. I have had the 8330 and upgraded to 8520 then to Tour. Tour is much better and quieter keys...a must for me since I text at work. Contact your carrier to see if they have refurbished ones without contract extension for sell.

I had the 8330 and went to a Tour at one point too. I agree, the quieter keys are nice and the bigger screen, which is the bigger reason I didn't want to go with an 8330 or 8530 really.

Have a look in the market place on this forum

I did. That's where my Tour is coming from.
    12-05-10 11:11 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD