Many people find the Priv PKB simply too "shallow" and not providing the "feeling" of the classic PKB feedback. Someone once mentioned in here that the Priv KB had to be shallow to maintain the device's thinness.

I'm sure the Priv is a powerHouse though.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    I'm one of those people. I find the PKB on the Priv absolutely terrible. It has a terrible feel and it really doesn't belong on this phone. It was Blackberry putting a pkb on it just for the sake of putting a pkb on it and calling it a Blackberry.
    murphcid likes this.
    09-19-16 07:23 AM
    I'm one of those people. I find the PKB on the Priv absolutely terrible. It has a terrible feel and it really doesn't belong on this phone. It was Blackberry putting a pkb on it just for the sake of putting a pkb on it and calling it a Blackberry.
    Really?? That bad? I thought everyone calls it at least decent. How does it comparable to 9810, if I may ask?
    09-19-16 07:51 AM
    Really?? That bad? I thought everyone calls it at least decent. How does it comparable to 9810, if I may ask?
    To me it is, but I also hated the 9810's keyboard too so I'm probably not the best person to ask.
    09-19-16 07:53 AM

Droid or Apple don't have QWERTY keyboards so the changeover is going to be painful but I think it has to be done.

Priv: Android & Keyboard. All what you want in a phone. Pretty good price by now.

If you don't like it then hang on for a few months and you will find a new PKB android device like the Classic/Bold.
    09-19-16 08:44 AM
    We will see with Argon.... If no US Carries pick it up... then yes BlackBerry is dead in the US (and the rest of the world - US Enterprise market is the niche they need).

But if hardware sales of BB10 devcies along with the PRIV and DTECK... still are falling, then hardware in general is pretty much history.
    09-19-16 08:53 AM
    OP, since you love 9930 pkb and are on Sprint, why not try finding a NIB Q10 for Sprint on the secondary market. They are cheap, work on 4g and would be an upgrade to the Bold with similar form factor. Even though the fat lady has sung, you need not worry about the Q10 or BB10 becoming obsolete for the time being and you will have plenty of time to enjoy BlackBerry still!

Posted via CB10
    neoberry99 likes this.
    09-19-16 09:24 AM
    I've never used a pkb prior to the priv but I like it. I use it more than the vkb now. Doesn't mean it's the best BlackBerry ever had but I don't have anything to compare it to. I like it alot. I guess I don't get the too shallow argument. There is a noticeable depression and click when as key is pushed. I like the touch capacitive feature and use it to scroll alot. I'd never be afraid to buy a pkb BlackBerry anymore. I was before this because I had no pkb experience

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    09-19-16 11:07 AM
    OP, in addition to the Q10, you could also look at the less expensive Q5 which is still available on amazon / eBay. Just get a case for it because it is slippery. I actually prefer the pkb of the Q5 to that of the Q10.

Also, I agree that the tactile feel the Priv physical keyboard isn't as nice as the Q5/Q10 keyboards (especially the space key), but that was a design compromise to keep the slider phone relatively thin.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 11:25 AM
    Support for repairs or questions is important. If the local Verizon or AT&T store is telling me they sell, maybe, one unit every other month - why would I want to purchase a device that no one uses? That said, I did try a Priv demo at the local Verizon store. It seemed nice but may not be worth the hassle since QWERTY's seem a thing of the past. I liked the Classic as an upgrade to my Bold but the Verizon website shows discontinued.
    This thread makes less sense the more I read it.
    You say that carrier support for repairs is important and that you don't want a phone that no one uses -- yet you continue to use a BB7 device.
    You like the Priv but QWERTY is a "thing of the past" - yet you are willing to wait for the next QWERTY phone while using an old QWERTY.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-19-16 11:28 AM
    Even with the negative tone, a fair criticism. Yes, I am aware the BB 7 OS is dead but that is not what the intent of the post is. With carriers in the US limiting, if not strangling BB output, the market for ALL BB products - hardware and software - seems non existent. I wish that were different but that is the reality here in the states.
    Well BlackBerry let go all of their carrier reps on October of 2013. Why should the carriers care about BB if BB does not care about them.
    09-19-16 11:34 AM
    Some of us BB lovers have to face reality. As much as I love my BB Bold 9930, it's time for me to make the change to a Droid or Apple platform.

Factual Reasoning - in no particular order:

1) My carrier (Sprint) divorced BB some time ago and no type of new BB devices are available.
    2) My Bold 9930 is 3G - Sprint engineers tell me CDMA will no longer be available in a year or so for all carriers and only 4G phones will be operational.
    3) Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile are the only carriers that have availability of the Priv or new DTEK50. Since the QWERTY is a must for me, the Priv would be my only choice.
    4) After visiting Verizon and AT&T to see the Priv in action (seems nice, loved the keyboard), sales agents told me they sell maybe 1 unit every other month, if that. If that is the case, knowledgeable support for problems or questions is probably non-existent.
    5) An Apple store is about 10 minutes from my home so if I go in that direction, support is there. Where are the BB stores
    5) A friend of mine attends the Las Vegas tech show each year and he tells me this is the first year BB did not even have a booth. If that is the case, is there a future for them here in the states? I'd be foolish to answer anything but NO.

Droid or Apple don't have QWERTY keyboards so the changeover is going to be painful but I think it has to be done.

I'll probably run on my Bold until the network kicks me off. The size of my Bold, ease of use, ease of typing and many other features makes me depressed that I'll have to be without it shortly but that is the way it is. It's been a great partner and I'll certainly miss it.
    Your point is what? The system (OS 10) is alive and well, your phone is the item out of date. OS 10 is running almost everything thrown at it with little or no issues. The Passport and Classic still run as smooth as butter, thanks to Coblat's fixes.

So again whats the point?
    anon(3732391) likes this.
    09-19-16 02:42 PM
    OP, in addition to the Q10, you could also look at the less expensive Q5 which is still available on amazon / eBay. Just get a case for it because it is slippery. I actually prefer the pkb of the Q5 to that of the Q10.

Posted via CB10
    I agree--if you liked the chiclet feel of the old Curves, the Q5 is preferable. On the other hand, the overall feel of the Q5 is light and "cheap" compared to the Q10, IMHO. Though my wife has been using hers for well over a year with nary a problem and she prefers it to the Q10 she inherited from me.
    09-19-16 06:17 PM
    OP, what on earth does it matter what other people think about your phone! You're the decision maker, make the decision that best suits your needs.

My needs are best met by using BlackBerry phones.

--Classic, 9700, Playbook, flip - posted using crackberry app --
    I agree - it is not an issue of what people think. Quite frankly, I could care less. The issue is mainly carrier support and being realistic that BB devices in the US are a thing of the past which means aps, support and all the perks that make a phone a good experience are/will be nonexistent, unfortunately.
    murphcid likes this.
    09-19-16 06:47 PM
    No Q5 for Sprint available if OP stays w/ Sprint

Posted via CB10
    09-19-16 06:55 PM
    Your post makes no sense to me. You say a physical keyword is a must, then say your considering jumping ship to another non keyboard device.

Sprint is awful anyway. If price is an issue switch to tmobile and get a Priv. If not switch to Verizon or AT&T and (again) get a Priv. That is if you really do care about having a keyboard.

Sent from my Passport
    Let me clarify - Yes, a keyboard is a must for me if I had my choice. Starting out with the Palm Treo and moving to various BB devices, I've never been without a QWERTY keyboard. I have a S6 which I only use on vacations for pictures, videos (sorry BB lovers - Samsung's camera is top of the line and BB doesn't even come close) and when I don't want to subject my treasured BB to the elements and I am simply less efficient without the QWERTY and the hand sized ease of use of my BB 9930. Could I get used to my S6 full time - I suppose if I had to I would but certainly not what I want. My point in this post is being realistic, carriers in the US are abandoning BB. Don't take my word for it, ask your local Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile store salespeople. If they say they sell one or two per month, that would be a lot. Sprint and BB are divorced already so they sell zero. With real estate in stores dedicated to Samsung, Apple, LG and HTC, the lonely single BB device that some stores may have is further complicated by the fact that most salespeople don't know how to use them and steer people to other more popular devices.

So why am I considering jumping ship to another non keyboard device? Well, the ship has left in my opinion. Lack of 3G availability soon (about a year or so from what I was told) and mostly device support. Others have posted a great BB droid QWERTY 4G should be out shortly. Assuming Verizon, AT&T or T-Mobile carry it, I will certainly give it consideration; however, I might lean in favor of biting the bullet and make the switch over to a more well known device so if I do have questions, I can have them answered at the store level. I'd probably have better luck having someone tell me about Euler's Formula than answering questions about a BB device these days, unfortunately.
    09-19-16 07:15 PM
    Ever heard of Q10? Or maybe Classic?
    Please tell me you have.
    Come now - of course. Classic is discontinued at Verizon (from what I saw online) and both are not available on Sprint's network. I could certainly change carriers but I feel like I am swimming uphill against a strong current.
    09-19-16 07:21 PM
    OP, since you love 9930 pkb and are on Sprint, why not try finding a NIB Q10 for Sprint on the secondary market. They are cheap, work on 4g and would be an upgrade to the Bold with similar form factor. Even though the fat lady has sung, you need not worry about the Q10 or BB10 becoming obsolete for the time being and you will have plenty of time to enjoy BlackBerry still!

Posted via CB10
    A reasonable solution but I'm still concerned if I have a problem no support exists at the store level.
    09-19-16 07:28 PM
    This thread makes less sense the more I read it.
    You say that carrier support for repairs is important and that you don't want a phone that no one uses -- yet you continue to use a BB7 device.
    You like the Priv but QWERTY is a "thing of the past" - yet you are willing to wait for the next QWERTY phone while using an old QWERTY.
    I've had my device for many years and have recently had an issue which shed light on the importance of carrier support. That coupled with lack of 3G in a year or so forces me to think about a device that will be around for a while. Yes, QWERTY is important as I've stated but if I have to make the change to a flat screen, I want to go with one that has not only carrier support but is widely used for future support.
    09-19-16 07:33 PM
    Your point is what? The system (OS 10) is alive and well, your phone is the item out of date. OS 10 is running almost everything thrown at it with little or no issues. The Passport and Classic still run as smooth as butter, thanks to Coblat's fixes.

So again whats the point?
    Perhaps less sarcasm and a re-read of the post might be helpful.
    09-19-16 07:34 PM
    Perhaps less sarcasm and a re-read of the post might be helpful.
    No need you spelled it out, and I responded. O 10 is fine works well and still lives. The issues you have are a hardware issues not the OS. So again your point was what?

With your thinking Apple must be dead or dying, after all they sent out messages that I phone 3 and 4's are no longer supported. Also the two phones will be dropped soon by a few carriers for use, so Apple must be in trouble?
    09-19-16 08:05 PM
    No need you spelled it out, and I responded. O 10 is fine works well and still lives. The issues you have are a hardware issues not the OS. So again your point was what?

With your thinking Apple must be dead or dying, after all they sent out messages that I phone 3 and 4's are no longer supported. Also the two phones will be dropped soon by a few carriers for use, so Apple must be in trouble?
    I do not object to BB OS. Hardware is certainly an issue but my biggest gripe is carrier support and the future of BB in the US.

Apple is supported by all carriers and various Apple stores throughout the US so no issue exists at the moment with the viability of Apple. That said, the same could be said about BB in its day so no manufacturer is exempt.

The fact that you are unwilling or unable to grasp is BB decrease in market share due to lack of carrier support and demand in the US. Do they have a good product ? I say YES. Are carrier support, branding, technical support and simple Q&A available here in the states? I say NO.
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-19-16 09:24 PM
    09-19-16 11:09 PM
    We will see with Argon.... If no US Carries pick it up... then yes BlackBerry is dead in the US (and the rest of the world - US Enterprise market is the niche they need).

But if hardware sales of BB10 devcies along with the PRIV and DTECK... still are falling, then hardware in general is pretty much history.
    Just buy it online from ShopBlackBerry. One reason I believe BlackBerry is going the route of online sales in the US with the DTEK50 is that the US carriers are so slow with security updates, some worse than others, and the BlackBerry phones are about security. It is much better as well to buy the Priv direct Instead of buying a phone on contract from a carrier (which is basically the equivalent of purchasing with payments when it comes down to it). You can save up to buy it outright, or save up for the one coming in 2017. If you bring your own phone to AT&T or T-Mobile, they know you can switch carriers because you are not bound to them and their carrier phone, so they treat you with more respect as a customer.
    09-20-16 05:20 AM
    Completely agree. Those that I played with were horrible. Plus AT&T has dropped all displays of the BB phones at the stores I went to visit. A Harbinger of the 27th?

09-20-16 07:02 AM
    Absolutely this is true. And no amount of wishing for BB10 to magically become a major o/s will make it happen. Sorry guys, BB made bad choices, and they are paying for it.

I agree - it is not an issue of what people think. Quite frankly, I could care less. The issue is mainly carrier support and being realistic that BB devices in the US are a thing of the past which means aps, support and all the perks that make a phone a good experience are/will be nonexistent, unfortunately.
    09-20-16 07:04 AM
76 1234