This seems pretty ridiculous, but maybe someone can provide some insight. We live in Aruba and our two carriers are Setar (the local phone company owned by the government) and Digicel.

Last week a friend walked into Setar to have BlackBerry service added to his phone. The agent stated a disclaimer that my friend would have to accept all responsibility if and when BlackBerry disabled his service because he had an AT&T branded phone instead of a phone purchased from Setar. (Read as not getting a refund on his service charges if the service went down.) The agent stated that Setar was not the one doing this but that it was actually BlackBerry.

I heard from someone else, although this is passed on as word of mouth, that Digicel down here is claiming the same thing.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Why would BB care where the phone was purchased and why would they be shutting off the service. It would seem if anyone would do it, it would be the carrier, but this doesn't sound right either.
    12-09-09 09:37 PM
    not true, the provider don't know the phone model/brand you have(exept if they activated it in store. the proof? you can just switch your sim card between two phones and your provider would never know it. If it was really true, the provider wouldnt accept to activate the phone(why desactivate if you can just not activate it )

hope it's help you
    12-09-09 10:03 PM
    They are trying to cover themselves for missing service books that some carriers don't have for certain BB models that they most likely don't sell. Each service book that a BB needs to function correctly for any given capability (SMS, MMS, Browser, ETC) is controlled by RIM via the carrier's BB provisioning service. Sometimes some service books that are needed by a certain BB model aren't available from a carrier and that means that that specific feature may not work. This is why you see writeups in the forums on how to get a Storm working on T-Mobile or AT&T for example by doing legacy restores of some service books, etc.

It's nothing more then this...
    12-09-09 11:14 PM
    Thanks for the response JRSC. The strange thing is that these are model phones that the carriers down here do actually sell, specifically the 8320 and 8530. Now we'll see what happens when my 9700 shows up. Nobody is selling those down here yet.
    12-10-09 12:14 AM
    this is not true,RIM wouldn't do such a thing.
    12-10-09 04:27 AM
    As long as the phone is properly unlocked you should be ok.
    12-10-09 10:10 AM
    This seems pretty ridiculous, but maybe someone can provide some insight. We live in Aruba and our two carriers are Setar (the local phone company owned by the government) and Digicel.

Last week a friend walked into Setar to have BlackBerry service added to his phone. The agent stated a disclaimer that my friend would have to accept all responsibility if and when BlackBerry disabled his service because he had an AT&T branded phone instead of a phone purchased from Setar. (Read as not getting a refund on his service charges if the service went down.) The agent stated that Setar was not the one doing this but that it was actually BlackBerry.

I heard from someone else, although this is passed on as word of mouth, that Digicel down here is claiming the same thing.

Has anyone heard of anything like this? Why would BB care where the phone was purchased and why would they be shutting off the service. It would seem if anyone would do it, it would be the carrier, but this doesn't sound right either.
    I really think it would be your carrier disabling your Blackberry, not RIM.
    Sounds like they want to make more money by only allowing their own
    Blackberry models on their networks.

If your carrier has an online webpage, you should read there to see what are
    their policies, and possibly, save some screen captures of the written terms,
    so that if an issue like this comes up, you have the terms saved to your PC.

I don't see how RIM would be tracking the carrier and service plans attached
    to every Blackberry that's been sold.
    12-10-09 04:28 PM
    not true, the provider don't know the phone model/brand you have(exept if they activated it in store. the proof? you can just switch your sim card between two phones and your provider would never know it. If it was really true, the provider wouldnt accept to activate the phone(why desactivate if you can just not activate it )

hope it's help you
    Actually, if you switch SIM's between 2 devices, the carrier absolutely can poll the device for the IMEI. Based off the IMEI, they can tell what the device is, what carrier it originally came from.

IMEI's are specific to each device and each carrier.

Trust me, they can tell. JRSCivic is also correct.. It ALL revolves around service books.. Use a device branded with another carrier and they can pretty much wipe responsibility from them if anything happens.
    12-10-09 05:14 PM
    Well, the carrier shouldn't be lying and telling people that RIM is going to terminate
    their Blackberry plan.
    12-10-09 08:41 PM
    The carrier doesn't have to provide service books or technical support for phones
    that they do not sell, but why would they not want your monthly payments $$$ for
    the Blackberry data plan to continue coming in???

Weird.
    12-10-09 08:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD