I've used nothing but BlackBerry devices for over 15 years now, but am faced with a quandary... My Passport, though I love it, is slowly dying and so, I'm sure, is its OS. Problem is that BlackBerry are disappearing from the UK marketplace really quickly and I'm unsure whether to buy another one. If I do, it'll be a Key2 LE but in a year or so will the support network have disappeared along with any chance of keeping the phone up and running?

Basically, am I taking a risk buying a new Key2 or will BB still exist for the foreseeable future?

Thanks for any input. :0
    09-28-19 03:47 PM
    I've used nothing but BlackBerry devices for over 15 years now, but am faced with a quandary... My Passport, though I love it, is slowly dying and so, I'm sure, is its OS. Problem is that BlackBerry are disappearing from the UK marketplace really quickly and I'm unsure whether to buy another one. If I do, it'll be a Key2 LE but in a year or so will the support network have disappeared along with any chance of keeping the phone up and running?

Basically, am I taking a risk buying a new Key2 or will BB still exist for the foreseeable future?

Thanks for any input. :0
    Buy a K2 through a recognized retailer or carrier and you will receive the full warranty for the device even if TCL ends their partnership with BlackBerry.

Android Oreo will still be relevant for a few more years. Perhaps more, depending on when the devs of your favorite apps decide to stop supporting it. But since Marshmallow is still widely supported I would say that you would be safe for a while with a Key2.
    09-28-19 04:15 PM
    The downside of gutting a KEY2 is that, at best, you'll get one more year of updates. If that's not a concern for you, the KEY2 is a great device.

If updates are important to you, I'd recommend waiting a couple of months and buy one of the new Android 10 phones that will support Project Mainline and up to four years of updates.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-28-19 05:19 PM
    Thanks for the replies. It very much sounds as if the writing is on the wall for BB. Perhaps I should get used to something else sooner rather than later. Pity....
    09-28-19 09:47 PM
    Thanks for the replies. It very much sounds as if the writing is on the wall for BB. Perhaps I should get used to something else sooner rather than later. Pity....
    Until BlackBerry Mobile announces an intention to release a new device, doesn't make sense to do business with them.
    elfabio80 and cribble2k like this.
    09-28-19 11:09 PM
    Why would not gething updates worry you? When was the last update you got on your Passport?

I have the LE and the Motion, and they are great.
    With Oreo you'll have years and years ahead with few problems. and hopefully we'll get Pie.

If you want a PKB, it's Hobson's choice.
    09-29-19 01:10 AM
    Until BlackBerry Mobile announces an intention to release a new device, doesn't make sense to do business with them.
    Why does that matter?? If people are happy with Key2 or the Key2 LE at offered price, what does a new device mean? Oreo 8.1 is stable and will be for near and not so distant future. There’s plenty of reasons to not get any device from any OEM if doesn’t fit your needs. I just don’t see what the next device or new device would have to do with current offering?
    Bbnivende likes this.
    09-29-19 10:47 AM
    I don't understand this way of thinking. It's a product, not a business partnership. The one you buy is the one you get, not the next version. Whether or not there's a KEY3 has absolutely no impact on the KEY2.

I'd say the same thing about the Samsung Note 10. There's speculation that it will be the last Samsung Note. Does that mean no one should buy it until Samsung announced a Note 11?

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-29-19 11:45 AM
    Made my decision - I'm not ready to march with the crowd just yet so have bought a new Key2 LE in Atomic Red. What's the deal with dual SIM though, just it just mean the device can have two numbers?

Returning to BB's demise though, is it possible that the Key2 is their swan song? Be sad for the phone that started it all should founder, but then sometimes coming first is a disadvantage (so my wife tells me).
    PantherBlitz likes this.
    09-29-19 02:55 PM
    Like I totally understand, why just yestermoments ago I thought I asked the misses if we should buy that new house (well okay if we had the playdough to spare)...and shese said...I dunno sunshine, what if dat builder retires at 65?...I thoughts to the thinkier halves of my partners-sailing-ship your write! Can't bi-ze z'a house from a retired bilder!. Then i gots to tinking... whada bout the car? I mean I dunno if their gonna makes the models i likes in two years....cant wrist buyin one today, wat wiff the un-curtainty. It's allz draped in cofounding miniseries.
    09-29-19 05:04 PM