I will be making the plunge to BB very soon, but i am not, as of yet, a big user of data. my question, is, can the BB's be used without a data plan? A friend of mine has a BB,and it is a great phone, I made a few calls am am hooked. is it mandatory like the iphone or can it be enabled w/out a plan? I want the 8900!! sorry iam such a noob

chappy
    12-09-08 12:30 PM
    If you want a blackberry without a data plan then the phone is not the phone you want. That's what the phone is built for. Business orientation. Once you figure out that you won't need to be at home to send/recieve emails, instant messaging, internet, your going to wish you had a data plan when you get that surprise $500 bill in the mail. I'm sure you can get the phone without the data plan. Don't make that mistake. Without a data plan the phone is only good for making calls and appointment on the phone calendar. You can't synchronize the calendar for backup OTA (Over the air) because that is data, you can't use any form of IM because that is data, no internet, no browsing of any type for games, themes, ringtones, etc because all that uses data. You would have to use WIFI without being charged.
    12-09-08 12:39 PM
    Hey, Rockafella,
    thanks for the input. i have a family data plan with unlimited text msgs,and mins w/ATT, so thought i could use the great phone features and use to it text my kids with the unlimitemsgs, without adding another plan on top of what I got?

chappy
    12-09-08 12:44 PM
    If you want a blackberry without a data plan then the phone is not the phone you want. That's what the phone is built for. Business orientation. Once you figure out that you won't need to be at home to send/recieve emails, instant messaging, internet, your going to wish you had a data plan when you get that surprise $500 bill in the mail. I'm sure you can get the phone without the data plan. Don't make that mistake. Without a data plan the phone is only good for making calls and appointment on the phone calendar. You can't synchronize the calendar for backup OTA (Over the air) because that is data, you can't use any form of IM because that is data, no internet, no browsing of any type for games, themes, ringtones, etc because all that uses data. You would have to use WIFI without being charged.
    I agree!!!
    12-09-08 12:44 PM
    My wife has a pearl and no data. We never get surprize bills because our company disables it unless you want it. The phone will cost more without data and it really is nice to get your email as soon as it hits your box incase it happens to be an emergency email you know. And using the pin instead of text is really nice, faster and more reliable than text and in the BBM you can set up like an im chat link. Really consider the data with a blackberry but it is not something you have to have for the BB to work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-09-08 01:35 PM
    My wife has a pearl and no data. We never get surprize bills because our company disables it unless you want it. The phone will cost more without data and it really is nice to get your email as soon as it hits your box incase it happens to be an emergency email you know. And using the pin instead of text is really nice, faster and more reliable than text and in the BBM you can set up like an im chat link. Really consider the data with a blackberry but it is not something you have to have for the BB to work

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    will my $30 AT&T family plan w/unlimited txt msgs & min plan work with a BB?or do I have to add another one on top of the $30? I mostly just want to make call, some txts to the kids. eventually use more,but I really love the phones. what do you mean when you say use a "pin' instead of txt?

chappy
    12-09-08 01:58 PM
    will my $30 AT&T family plan w/unlimited txt msgs & min plan work with a BB?or do I have to add another one on top of the $30? I mostly just want to make call, some txts to the kids. eventually use more,but I really love the phones. what do you mean when you say use a "pin' instead of txt?

chappy

Research in Motion has noted that substantial numbers of BlackBerry are being used for Phone, Texting use. It is fine, it is by far the best text messaging device on the market.

There are limitations, but if they are an issue, AT&T would be happy to sell you a BIS plan too.

12-09-08 02:40 PM
    What did a member here once say? Having a Brry with no data plan is like having a car with no wheels/! Think thats what he said...
    12-09-08 03:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD