Hi,

Going to Costa Rica soon. Question...will I be able to use my BB there? Specifically, will I have internet access, will my e-mail push through to me? Can I use the phone to make calls back to the states? Do I need to purchase a chip or card (SIM I think) to make phone calls? I know that with my prior regular Verizon phones, I have often had service outside of the country unless there was a block.
    03-14-09 10:46 AM
    I was just there with my Storm. I could use my Storm there as a phone but could not get any data coverage. Message said "you're in an area without enough coverage for data" or something like that.

Irritating as I had paid for the global data plan :-p I did not have a local sim card but I don't think that would have helped me - I _think_ all that does is let you use the phone for calling very cheaply since you're on their network instead of roaming.

My understanding from our friends who live there is there isn't much (if any?) data coverage there. For data coverage most folks use an unlocked/jailbroken iphone and wi-fi.

your mileage may vary of course.
    03-14-09 10:59 AM
    The Curve 8330 does NOT use SIM cards. It cannot be used in a GSM area.

You probably should look into renting a phone there.
    Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 03-14-09 at 11:48 AM.
    03-14-09 11:45 AM
    The Curve 8330 does NOT use SIM cards. It cannot be used in a GSM area.

You probably should look into renting a phone there.
    Oh Thank you for your help.

Thank you too Lng2ride.
    03-14-09 11:52 AM
    Thanks for that information
    03-14-09 01:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD