If BB is interested in producing a quality product for less money, it seems that it would be less expensive to produce one phone with all the bands available and let the carriers restrict access instead of as in the case of the Z30, have 6 different models. Does not make economical sense to my feeble brain.

Also, would make it easier for us to use our favorite phone on the carrier we want.

I am in the US, but am looking to buy outright a Z30 from Best Buy - Canada, for I can get a T Mobile compatible Z30 at a 14% discount (read -favorable exchange rate).
    02-05-14 11:12 AM
    You didn't take a few things in consideration:

• Carriers have absolutely no reason to want their phones on other carriers;
    • BlackBerry has, to some extent, to keep carriers happy and comply with a few agreements;
    • The chipset defines which radio frequencies can be used;

Now, I am not saying I wouldn't prefer the one phone to rule them all approach. I do wonder how much more/less expensive it would be to have a single chipset that can handle all radio, maybe it would make the device more expensive? I honestly don't know. But I am sure that carriers have a major saying in this still.

On the bright side, Foxconn will be handling low-end/entry level BB10 devices. We're sure to see some dirty cheap phones soon.
    Last edited by pkcable; 02-05-14 at 03:34 PM.
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-05-14 11:51 AM
    Put it this way, in short, different models goes to different regions. There are different technologies adopted by various carriers. There are different duplex modes for LTE alone, not to mention there are still CDMA carriers .. so yeah, using one model to rule them all, is like shooting themselves in the foot.

There are various models of Android also look at the Samsung Note 3, SM-N 900xx odd models. lol.
    02-05-14 12:02 PM
    The only effective way to deal with this issue is tremendous volume. The more handsets you make and sell, the more efficient it is to develop and maintain these regional models. That means that having smaller market share is not really worthwhile at some point.
    02-05-14 12:10 PM
    Most manufacturer do multiple SKU's for their phones. The end advantage is that you don't spend money on a radio stack that isn't universally used by all devices as well as battery life since you don't have a radio constantly trying to connect eating resources.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    02-06-14 03:43 AM