New Updated Post - 2010

This post is obsolete here, to see the new updated 2010 Post about "Blackberry Bold 2010 WiFi Apps" follow this link below to my new Blog named "HavocBerry".

It's very time consuming updating both of them and all my other important posts, so i'm gathering all my important stuff in one blog. Follow this link below.

HavocBerry | Blackberry Bold 2010 - WiFi Apps 2010

I'm going to leave the below old post so people can have a secondary place to refer to in case they wish too, but do note this below post is old and does not contain any new or updated applications for the Blackberry.

Cheers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I thought I made an updated version of Blackberry Wi-Fi compatible apps, and make it easier for others to get the best usage of their Blackberry Wi-Fi capable phones, that don't use a BIS/BES accounts and just want to use apps with the Wi-Fi option only.
    (I'll try to update the post when possible).

Last Update: December 9, 2009 (Old Post)

FREE Apps that work with Wi-Fi only:
    (Apps tested & work with Bold, may work with other BB phones that use Wi-Fi)

Developers App
    bbssh | OTA Link Link
    (Thanks to mr_chen for letting me know of this app, don't know it's usage but i do know it works with Wi-Fi and its for developers)

3rd Party Browsers
    Opera Mini 4 | OTA Link Link
    (Just remember to tick Wi-Fi under "Network" in settings)
    Bolt Browser 1.6 | Link OTA Link
    (Fill in Name and Email to receive the mobile download link to your BB phone.)
    Opera Mini 5 Beta 2 | Link OTA Link

IM Clients
    Palringo 1.70 | OTA Link Link
    (Tick "Connect via Wi-Fi" in settings)
    Instango | Link OTA Link
    (In "Settings" --> Connection Type --> Transport: Choose Wi-Fi)
    (Note: Needs testing, but when using both Wi-Fi & Mobile Network, Instango reconnects continuously.
    Does not seem though to use Mobile Network carrier charges when done. If anyone can confirm this let me know)

RSS News
    Viigo News | Link OTA Link
    (Go to "Options" --> "Network Settings" and under "Select of connection type" choose Wi-Fi)

Email Apps
    Funambol | Link
    (Link Corrected - Create a free account to gain access to the application.)
    (Update: Funambol client now only offered as a 90 day trial for new users. No pay version available)
    LogicMail | Link | OTA Link Ver.1.4 OTA Link Developer Ver.1.9
    (App is difficult to setup. Consult this link for basic Guide Help. Logicmail Setup)

Twitter Apps
    OpenBeak (Former TwitterBerry) | Link OTA Link
    (In "Configuration" Choose Wi-Fi in "Twitter Connection Mode")
    UberTwitter | OTA Link & Link
    (Tick "Auto-Network and "Use Wi-Fi if availalble" when setting-up)
    TwiXtreme | Link OTA Link (OS 4.6 +) OTA Link (OS 4.2 +)
    (Only tested with Wi-Fi Network enabled. No options to set Wi-Fi)
    Seemsic | Link | OTA Link
    (Still in Beta - The Seemic icon seems to be visible on blackberry info area after exit. But the app has a very good interface)

Youtube App
    Vision For Youtube | OTA Link
    (Youtube application for Berry's)

Online Radio Apps
    FlyCast | Link OTA Link
    (In "Settings" Choose "Wi-Fi Only")
    FlyCast 2 (Newer Version) | Link OTA Link
    (Again, In "Settings" Choose "Wi-Fi Only")

Vibrate & Ring App (Bonus App)
    BuzzMe | Link OTA Link OTA Link (Storm)
    (Has also Disco Lights for multiple LED light display devices like the Bold)

Note:
    Don't know if all apps work with Mobile Network enabled, so I would recommend disabling it, and use only the "Wi-Fi Network" to avoid any unwanted carrier charges.
    Note Update:
    All apps work with Wi-Fi and Mobile Network both enabled. Instango keeps reconnecting every 15 seconds though, seems like an app bug.

Author's BlackBerry Bold setup:
    No BIS/BES, No internet plans, just plain mobile account, with APN settings "Disabled" and Blackberry Browser set to "HotSpot".
    Last edited by andyhavoc; 05-03-10 at 09:04 AM. Reason: New Blog for Post, 2010 Version
    07-21-09 12:52 PM
    for 'Opera Mini' which one i should select for BB 9000? there is not this type in the 'Opera Mini' download site.
    07-22-09 02:42 AM
    Funambol tells me it does not support WAP Browsers.
    07-22-09 05:55 AM
    for 'Opera Mini' which one i should select for BB 9000? there is not this type in the 'Opera Mini' download site.
    Hi,

If you use your Bold's Browser use the mobile Link "http://mini.opera.com" and select the "Download Opera Mini (English International)" as the mobile browser of opera will identify your phone as a RIM Blackberry 9000.
    07-22-09 11:46 AM
    Funambol tells me it does not support WAP Browsers.
    Hi, i apologize, it is my mistake.

To download the application to your BB phone, use your normal computer internet browser and navigate to the link "http://my.funambol.com/" and don't mind the "Site does not support your browser message on top". Create a free account and choose your carrier and input your correct phone number when creating the account.

Once finished, log in and go to "Profile ---> Email" and choose from the last drop down menu named "What would you like to do?" and choose "Download the Funambol Email client to my phone" and an SMS will be sent to your number with the Link to download.

Else, if you don't receive the link via msg, click the "I didn't receive an SMS message" and it will show you the mobile link you need to go and download your application to your BB Bold via your phone's Browser.
    07-22-09 12:01 PM
    I went through all the steps and ran funambol on my blackberry bold. I dont have a data plan and want to use it only over wifi. I have two questions one does funambol only use wifi? if not how do i set it up to only use wifi. and two why does it tell me that i may encounter data charges when i first start up funambol if it only goes over wifi
    08-03-09 06:19 PM
    From my experience of the funambol ota wireless sync app will use wi-fi if available but will use a data plan if no wi-fi is available. I didn't actually look for a setting to stop it as I have a data plan but most apps that use wi-fi also use data when wi-fi access is not available.

The only way to ensure you are using wi-fi is to turn off the mobile network connection.
    08-03-09 07:11 PM
    I went through all the steps and ran funambol on my blackberry bold. I dont have a data plan and want to use it only over wifi. I have two questions one does funambol only use wifi? if not how do i set it up to only use wifi. and two why does it tell me that i may encounter data charges when i first start up funambol if it only goes over wifi
    Hi,
    On the top of my post I explain that I do not know if the apps I'm suggesting will or not work with both WiFi and Mobile network enabled. (Meaning that I don't know if WiFi will always be preffered over 2G/3G Network).

As I don't have a BIS account, when ever I use those apps, Funambol as well, I tend to always disable my Mobile Network, as the best tactic to be sure the apps are using WiFi only(as Mark-d also wrote, thanks).

As I don't see a WiFi option in settings, I recommend, using WiFi with Mobile Network disabled, and these options as written below.

Run Funambol
    Go to -- > Settings -->General

Change:
    -----------
    -Get mail at start up: No
    -Get mail : Manual Only

This way you can check your email when ever you like. (With the "Get Mail" option)

Hope I helped,
    Andy
    08-03-09 09:21 PM
    Thought I'd share this:

Just to update my post, I finally sat down and tested all the apps I've posted on this post, and it seems when all apps are set to use WiFi
    (the ones that have the option to choose it) and the ones that do not have it, will use WiFi first.

As of now on I'm using all these Apps (Except TwiXtreme) posted at the top with both WiFi and Mobile Network enabled, and no carrier charges were in any way applied. Always, the apps used the WiFi connection.

Warning:But please be aware that I have No BlackBerry Data plans, No BIS/BES, and my "APN Settings" are "DISABLED", so be sure you have the same setup as me before attempting to use any of the apps, with both WiFi & Mobile Network enabled.

Note: Forgot to mention that the Email app Funambol, if unable to find a WiFi connection, Will notify you that is going to attempt to use your "APN Settings" (In other words, charge you like making a phone call) to get mail, and you have to accept the attempt. So be in alert.
    Last edited by andyhavoc; 09-13-09 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Note Added. Correction.
    09-01-09 10:39 PM
    Added a new app for RSS News, Wi-Fi Only compatible. Fresh off the web.

Viigo News: "Check top of post for Links and OTA Link".
    09-21-09 10:31 AM
    Hi, i apologize, it is my mistake.

To download the application to your BB phone, use your normal computer internet browser and navigate to the link "http://my.funambol.com/" and don't mind the "Site does not support your browser message on top". Create a free account and choose your carrier and input your correct phone number when creating the account.

Once finished, log in and go to "Profile ---> Email" and choose from the last drop down menu named "What would you like to do?" and choose "Download the Funambol Email client to my phone" and an SMS will be sent to your number with the Link to download.

Else, if you don't receive the link via msg, click the "I didn't receive an SMS message" and it will show you the mobile link you need to go and download your application to your BB Bold via your phone's Browser.
    The Funambol blackberry client has been updated to v8, so is their my.funambol portal, and a new only 90 days trial version of the client unfortunately. And after scooping around in their FAQ they say for new users after Oct 1st 2009, the funambol client is only offered as the 90 days trial. And after expiration of the trial, no mobile solution, payable version or else is available for the Funambol client.

After getting that sad announcement out of the way.

To download the 90 day trial client on your blackberry, after registering as a new user, login in via the address my.funambol.com and you will see a new User Interface. On the right you will see your blackberry model in the "MY PHONE" section, and in there the "Download mobile client". Click it to download the funambol email client (and not the Sync client when asked to choose).
    Last edited by andyhavoc; 10-12-09 at 05:48 AM.
    10-12-09 05:45 AM
    Opera Mini will not install on my Bold...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-13-09 09:30 PM
    so if i have an internet/data plan, and wifi compatibility, im ok to use that youtube app right??? thanks so much btw for tha OTA link, if i get a good answer to my question, itll officially be my fav app!
    10-13-09 09:50 PM
    Ok all these apps work with wi-fi. Yo do not have to have a data plan or anything. Have fun.

10-13-09 10:07 PM
    I also wanted to add that my internet on my phone is blocked through att. Therefore I have no problem using these apps thrugh wi-fi.

10-13-09 10:24 PM
    so if i have an internet/data plan, and wifi compatibility, im ok to use that youtube app right??? thanks so much btw for tha OTA link, if i get a good answer to my question, itll officially be my fav app!
    Well you don't really need an internet/data plan, just Wi-Fi. As I, do not have any BIS/internet plan, and I use "Vision for Youtube" with just my Wi-Fi. (Mobile Network is enabled also).

But as I said, if you look at my Post on the top, my Bold configuration is : No BIS/BES, no data plan, no internet plan & APN Settings Disabled.

I recommend if you have any of all these enabled, just at least disable your APN settings, and with Wi-Fi enabled, open "Vision for Youtube". Ideally the app will always choose Wi-Fi over BIS or Data plan.

How To: Disable APN Settings
    • Press Blackberry Bold Menu button----->Go to Options, then go to ----> Advanced Options, then go to ---> TCP/IP and finally
      tick out "APN Settings"

Alternatives to Vision app, is via your Blackberry Browser, use the online Vuclip Website (Which has a lot of Youtube videos and has options to stream in High Quality video) or Install the Bolt Browser which now has within browser Youtube streaming support although it is a bit buggy.

And, your welcome
    Last edited by andyhavoc; 10-14-09 at 05:46 AM.
    10-14-09 05:13 AM
    Opera Mini will not install on my Bold...

I'm guessing by your later posts you have figured out and installed Opera Mini in your Bold.

If not, then here are some instructions in case you need'em:

• Open your native Bold Browser, and go to either mini.opera.com and choose "Download Opera Mini (English International) or Download in Another Language" and install Opera mini 4.2.
    • Or do the same with Opera mini beta 5 by going to mini.opera.com/next and choose "Download Opera Mini beta 5 for Blackberry".

Either version will have no problem running on your Bold, Just some notes:

• Opera Mini 4.2 has a Wi-Fi option in settings, remember to tick it.
    • Opera Mini 5 beta has no current Wi-Fi option, but works via Wi-Fi when enabled in your Bold.

Let me know if any problems occur
    10-14-09 05:23 AM
    Thank you. But now I am having problems with Vision Youtube....I will try to play a video through wi-fi and it will not load...I can play them on Boltfine with the same wi-fi but its not fullscreen so I wanted to use Vision...On bolt I had to choose the secod video playing option and I do not know ithat has anything to do with Vision not working. Any ideas? Thanks...
    10-16-09 11:04 PM
    Thank you. But now I am having problems with Vision You tube....I will try to play a video through wi-fi and it will not load...I can play them on Boltfine with the same wi-fi but its not fullscreen so I wanted to use Vision...On bolt I had to choose the secod video playing option and I do not know ithat has anything to do with Vision not working. Any ideas? Thanks...
    Hi,

I'm not sure what could be the problem, but a good idea to test out would be to try these 2 solutions:

1: Try changing in the preferences of Vision, the video preffered format to either low or medium and try playing videos. And make sure also in the preferences
    to have "Network aware: enabled".

2: Try disabling your mobile network in the Blackberry menu "Manage connections" and leave only Wi-Fi on, and then run Vision. It could be your mobile network may be interfering. with the application.

Good luck.

10-17-09 12:50 AM
    I have tried all of this and it still does not work...It will only show a black screen when I go to play the movie...It never loads...
    10-17-09 09:38 AM
    I have tried all of this and it still does not work...It will only show a black screen when I go to play the movie...It never loads...
    I really don't know what could be the problem, i'm sorry to hear that.

Did you try to do a battery pull? (Shut down the phone, take out the battery and re-insert). Then wait until in home screen and try again with Wi-Fi.

Also, do you press the Blackberry Menu button when clicking on the video you want to watch and choose "Watch Video"?

Try searching this forum links i found maybe you can find a solution:

Vision Forum 1 | Vision Release notes Section | Vision FAQ | Vision Forum 2 | Vision forum 3

As i said, i never had this problem so i don't know what could be the cause.
    10-17-09 10:20 AM
    Thank you for all the help. By the way how do I ever change from being a Crackberry Noobie? It is kind of annoing cause its not like I am clueless about everything...I have had a Blackberry for years...
    10-17-09 12:00 PM
    Thank you for all the help. By the way how do I ever change from being a Crackberry Noobie? It is kind of annoing cause its not like I am clueless about everything...I have had a Blackberry for years...

Happy to help! Your status change according to how many posts you have, like from replying, creating threads and so on.

It goes like this:

Status: Crackberry Newbie 0-9 Posts| Crackberry User 10-99 Posts |Crackberry Abuser 100-499 Posts| Crackberry Addict 500-999 Posts | Crackberry Master 1000-1499 Posts | Crackberry Genius 1500-4999 Posts and finally Crackberry Genius of Geniuses 5000+ posts

Info taken from this Crackberry forum link : Welcome! Read This First!! | Written by the Crackberry Founder Kevin Michaluk

Cheers
    10-17-09 12:18 PM
    Ok thank you. Are there any good IM apps that work with wi-fi? Because I am using Palringo and it is not that great...and when I tried to use Instango it would never load my contacts and then it would not even connect...
    10-17-09 01:00 PM
    Do I have to turn my network off everytime I want to use Wifi? Every time I connect to Wifi and click on my browser, it uses the 3G which charges me extra. I don't have a data plan.
    10-17-09 01:56 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD