Hello,

Well guys/gals.. Seems like I have a little problem with my phone. I am not that great with my BB or computers but I do think quick on my feet. So here is what is going on.. A few different things

My curve8330 which I really do love and have had for almost a year and no real problems.. I can not get a charge to my phone.. I have tried the regular charger,usb charger,car charger.. I have been having a problem where it would charge then stop.. Then I started to twist the chargers ' instead of buying a new one' NOW I get no charge.. I lookwd at the place where the charger goes and it is broken I do belive.

So I did think quick and I had a friend who had an extra brattery and BB 'thank god' so I charged that battry on there BB and put it in my phone.. Perfect no problem.

WEll not really after I thought about it for a while I realized that I can not back my phone up because the usb cord won't even connect to the computer.

I do back ups often thank god but in the last few days I have important information that I need to keep.......No not life threating just like to have.

SO MY VERY SMART CB FRIENDS WHAT GREAT IDEAS DO YOU HAVE TO SAVE ME..PLEASE HELP. ANY HELP OR IDEAS /ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

* I want to know if I go get another curve8330 I do have insurance and If I do a restore of my information could you please tell me all the things that will be put back on my new phone '' when backing up i just back it all up'.

* Now some of the information I want to keep that I have not put in back up in the last few days is stuff from my BBM. I did copy my chats but I was not able to back them up to my computer.............. is there away to back that that up from the phone to email account or something. I for some reason think there is.... If you go to BBM and go into options and scrool down it does says save message history to memory card ' should i do this and when I get my new phone is there a way to back that info in the computer? SIDE note. I did just hit that to save to my memory card but when I went into media I saw no sign of the History the conversastion. Where would that be located?

* Also you know how when you get a phone you get a blackberry email address for that phone. Well when you get a new phone does that email change like the PINS do. I know with the pins they are hooked to only that phone and can not be moved to your new phone.

I ask this because I have emails on the email account that I need to keep. I know I can forward those to another email address I got that. I would like to know if anyone knows for sure. Or even if you think so..

* Now I am almost certain that 3rd party apps can not be transfered when doing a restore ' i did make a list of what I have' but what I want to know is do I have to repay for those apps again? ' No it won't break my bank but I do think it would be nice to be able to keep what you already paid for' I could be wrong and maybe you can if so I love to know how I do this.

* Is there a 3 party app that I can do a back up with all my phone information to? Like when I do a back up on DTM... PLEASE remember that I when I get my new phone and do a back from DTM all my 3party apps will be gone so that means I will lose that information even if there is one.. UNLESS I can log in from my computer and then restore ' like and app that can take my info and send it to my computer or something'.............if there is no app like that now I think that might be a good one to make.. CASE in point my charger spot is broken so I cant charge or back up.

* KIND OF IMPORTANT.. my computer I have almost everything backed up. What ever gets backed Up I really would like to know this answer please. But I have never done a restore before. QUESTION I have stuff backed up from an old BB before this one that I would like to put back on my phone but my friend who let me borrow there phone to charge said that is NOT possible because when you do your restore the DTM will ask which file you want to restore. After they ask you that they then worn you that the file you have choosen will delete all information on your phone.' that fine since I am getting another phone' But my friend said that If I then try to restore the other phone information file it will ask and do the same thing... NOW my friend is a tech junkiw like most of you guys.... He is the one who told me to write in detail all that is going on so NOBODY has to ask me for more information. ' they say they like to help people but they get a little upset when the person does not give them all the information up front.

***** INTRESTING INFORMATION IF MY FRIEND IS WRITE.************

My friend says that it is VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE A BACK UP BB for things just like this.. I told them not many people have this issue I don't think.. They said maybe not this is issue. The they say they hear these 2 all the time is **** my computer crashed and I have no way to do a restore of my BB information. 2ND one they hear even more form people that travel is that they have lost there Brief case with there computer and BB in it. THOSE PEOPLE ARE REALLY OUT OF LUCK THEY SAY. I never thought about that at all. They say they do and when they do a back up of the BB that they are using they do a restore at the same time on the other extra BB so it stays current and they keep it in a safe place.. Does seem to make to sense I guess.

Have any of you guys ever thought about that? Do any of you do what my friend does?

I KNOW VERY LONG POSTING BUT I REALLY COULD USE ALL YOUR GUYS HELP PLEASE I REALLY NEED IT SOON.

PS.. My friend gave me there advice but said they dont everything that I should get more advice from you guys.
    01-25-10 07:35 AM
    Hello,

Well guys/gals.. Seems like I have a little problem with my phone. I am not that great with my BB or computers but I do think quick on my feet. So here is what is going on.. A few different things

My curve8330 which I really do love and have had for almost a year and no real problems.. I can not get a charge to my phone.. I have tried the regular charger,usb charger,car charger.. I have been having a problem where it would charge then stop.. Then I started to twist the chargers ' instead of buying a new one' NOW I get no charge.. I lookwd at the place where the charger goes and it is broken I do belive.
    You need to change out the charging port.

So I did think quick and I had a friend who had an extra brattery and BB 'thank god' so I charged that battry on there BB and put it in my phone.. Perfect no problem.

WEll not really after I thought about it for a while I realized that I can not back my phone up because the usb cord won't even connect to the computer.

I do back ups often thank god but in the last few days I have important information that I need to keep.......No not life threating just like to have.

SO MY VERY SMART CB FRIENDS WHAT GREAT IDEAS DO YOU HAVE TO SAVE ME..PLEASE HELP. ANY HELP OR IDEAS /ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT.

* I want to know if I go get another curve8330 I do have insurance and If I do a restore of my information could you please tell me all the things that will be put back on my new phone '' when backing up i just back it all up'.

I will restore the settings, bbm, txt, phone logs, and etc.

* Now some of the information I want to keep that I have not put in back up in the last few days is stuff from my BBM. I did copy my chats but I was not able to back them up to my computer.............. is there away to back that that up from the phone to email account or something. I for some reason think there is.... If you go to BBM and go into options and scrool down it does says save message history to memory card ' should i do this and when I get my new phone is there a way to back that info in the computer? SIDE note. I did just hit that to save to my memory card but when I went into media I saw no sign of the History the conversastion. Where would that be located?

Goto Media>click menu button then select explore>media card>blackberry>im and then it will list all history.
    * Also you know how when you get a phone you get a blackberry email address for that phone. Well when you get a new phone does that email change like the PINS do. I know with the pins they are hooked to only that phone and can not be moved to your new phone.
    No the original email stayers the same.
    I ask this because I have emails on the email account that I need to keep. I know I can forward those to another email address I got that. I would like to know if anyone knows for sure. Or even if you think so..
    Yes that will work

* Now I am almost certain that 3rd party apps can not be transfered when doing a restore ' i did make a list of what I have' but what I want to know is do I have to repay for those apps again? ' No it won't break my bank but I do think it would be nice to be able to keep what you already paid for' I could be wrong and maybe you can if so I love to know how I do this.
    Yes 3rd party apps can be restored

* Is there a 3 party app that I can do a back up with all my phone information to? Like when I do a back up on DTM... PLEASE remember that I when I get my new phone and do a back from DTM all my 3party apps will be gone so that means I will lose that information even if there is one.. UNLESS I can log in from my computer and then restore ' like and app that can take my info and send it to my computer or something'.............if there is no app like that now I think that might be a good one to make.. CASE in point my charger spot is broken so I cant charge or back up.

* KIND OF IMPORTANT.. my computer I have almost everything backed up. What ever gets backed Up I really would like to know this answer please. But I have never done a restore before. QUESTION I have stuff backed up from an old BB before this one that I would like to put back on my phone but my friend who let me borrow there phone to charge said that is NOT possible because when you do your restore the DTM will ask which file you want to restore. After they ask you that they then worn you that the file you have choosen will delete all information on your phone.' that fine since I am getting another phone' But my friend said that If I then try to restore the other phone information file it will ask and do the same thing... NOW my friend is a tech junkiw like most of you guys.... He is the one who told me to write in detail all that is going on so NOBODY has to ask me for more information. ' they say they like to help people but they get a little upset when the person does not give them all the information up front.

As for a restore if you are planning on trying to combine BB information then you can possibly do that on DM with the device switch wizard.

My friend says that it is VERY IMPORTANT TO HAVE A BACK UP BB for things just like this.. I told them not many people have this issue I don't think.. They said maybe not this is issue. The they say they hear these 2 all the time is **** my computer crashed and I have no way to do a restore of my BB information. 2ND one they hear even more form people that travel is that they have lost there Brief case with there computer and BB in it. THOSE PEOPLE ARE REALLY OUT OF LUCK THEY SAY. I never thought about that at all. They say they do and when they do a back up of the BB that they are using they do a restore at the same time on the other extra BB so it stays current and they keep it in a safe place.. Does seem to make to sense I guess.

Have any of you guys ever thought about that? Do any of you do what my friend does?
    No most of my info is all BES related so I can pull from the server, but it is a possibility.

I KNOW VERY LONG POSTING BUT I REALLY COULD USE ALL YOUR GUYS HELP PLEASE I REALLY NEED IT SOON.

PS.. My friend gave me there advice but said they dont everything that I should get more advice from you guys.
    Wow now breathe
    01-25-10 07:56 AM
    you could try using bluetooth to connect your device to the computer and doing a back up that way.

on the dtm in the upper right corner of the program screen look for options>data connection>change you optins there. set your device to search/discover (not sure whitch)

try backing up that way.

there is a few 3rd party apps that will do a back up of your device to an online album, or acount that you set up. you can dwn ld them to the the device using app world. try idrivelite. you create a back up file to an online album, that you are able to view from any computer and edit with a user name and password.

if all that fails, you may be able to save the info that you need at a store using a cellbright machine.

as for the insurence, you can either place a claim through them, or go through your carrier to get your device replaced. i would suggest insurence for 2 rreasons. 1. you are over your 1 yr man guarantee, and 2 there is phisical damage. you may be charged a fee for both by going through the carrier for the replacement.
    01-25-10 08:03 AM
    Firstly, you could get a charging cradle to enable you to charge your device. Others on these forums have purchased these for around $10. Here's a link here at Crackberry http://shop.crackberry.com/blackberry-curve-cradles.htm

Some of your other questions can be answered by others with more knowledge but I've seen that some people use Google Sync to backup data.
    01-25-10 08:03 AM
    for the emails, you can port that info over a few different ways, and it will depend on how those emails were set up on the device.
    1. sometimes all it requires is going to email settings, and the device will ask if you want to use the same emails (the bb does this when the original or 1rst email was set up on the device, and no user name or password was set up)
    2. may require you to enter a user name or password in email settings in order to port those emails to the replacement device (enter in the user name and passwrod that you set up when you originally set up the emails on the device, if you do not have the user name and passwrod, call your carrier tech support and they will have bb admin rights to get you that info, and will help make sure that your emails are set up properly)
    3. log into the client bis site to change over the pin and esn #'s. if you do not have the client site, then you may need to call your carrier tech support to get all the info that you need.

you will be able to keep all of the email acounts that you have on the original device.calling you carrier tech support may be the best option for that. make sure that you are calling from another line, and that you are able to verrify the billing acount before calling in if you are not the acount holder/manager.
    01-25-10 08:11 AM

You will restore your contact info as of the date of the last bsck up. Any new information will not be saved.

You can forward any emails you want to keep to your email account.

You can install Google Sync OTA to your blackberry and create a back up of your contact info.

If you use an older backup, it will delete any new changes that you have made to your current contacts info.

I do have an older blackberry that I can use if my current phone breaks or is lost. And after I backed up my info using Google sync, I saved it on my work computer as well as my home computer, because my home PC is on the way out.

I don't know about backing up your BBM stuff.

01-25-10 09:33 AM
    You guys are great..

How do can you do 3rd party backups or restore.

How do you fix the charging cradle? That would be great .
    01-25-10 09:47 AM
    google sync..... does that back up everything on your phone?

like contacts,memos,saved messagrs,BBM.. things like that
    01-25-10 09:49 AM
    google sync..... does that back up everything on your phone?

like contacts,memos,saved messagrs,BBM.. things like that
    Will not back up BBM on google sync.
    01-25-10 10:59 AM
    If you do a restore to your new phone from a backup just about everything will be on your new phone. Messages, calendar, settings, call logs, it will be just like the same phone. So, it would be best if you could create a brand new backup using bluetooth as a connection.

As for BBM, just be sure you have the "backup contacts to email" setup, the DM backup process might do it, but the email way always works. As for your chats, they can't be restored to BBM, but if they're saved to the SD card you can find them and view from there.

Emails is easy too, log into your BIS carrier site, and change your PIN and any other relevant info there. That's done then, all your old messages will be restored from a backup.

As for apps, the Device Transfer Wizard will do this, but I'm not sure it's possible with a bluetooth connection. If it is use that, it will take your old phone and put everything on the new one. It will backup and restore too, but be sure you have a current backup before you try it.

If that doesn't work, then you will have to download your apps all over again. Most the time it's as easy as going to the place you purchased them, logging into your account, and changing a few things. App World makes it even easier. Sometimes, you can go to the developers site and send them an email. You shouldn't have to pay for your apps again.

If the app has a way of backing up itself (like quicklaunch) then your good, but most apps don't (like BeBuzz). So you will have to go through and fix the settings and information. This happens when you put a new OS on too, pisses me off, but just need to deal with it.

Good luck! Oh, and Google Sync won't do you any good at all, so don't worry about that.
    01-25-10 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD