Yes the side boarding of apps and checker boarding browser were awesome.

I did like the OS though . Better than BB10 in some ways. It was ok for about a year or so.

I was at a party , Christmas 2012, and the host was giving away a Playbook as a prize... but the winner did not collect her prize.

Haha... Try explaining to uninitiated management a purchase requisition for 2 dozen of something called "PLAY-book" !! Lol.

Clearly BB was trying to shake their "business image"... Big fail, all directions. Imo.

I still use PB as an hdmi interface for some presentations, etc. "Remote" makes wonderful use of Bold's trackpad pointer controls on our 100" conference room panel, for example. My "smart guys" have cobbled similar bluetooth "remote" between our 99s and a rootable Android. Much promise but still pretty clunky.

PB was, once again, a "half baked" product pushed out the door way unready! "Half baked" is generous. That dough was missing key, no brainer, ingredients! Frightening display of that team's inexperience in mobile space. At least they ultimately got email... Lol.

I can see how "over promise under deliver" Dan made a great demo with what they had... It just never quite got past demo stage. Foreshadowing for BB10's "Barely Baked When?" follow up? Lol.

Most frightening was Mike's seeming unawareness of DD's previous experiences... Gateway is STILL waiting for QNX Amiga... Lmao!

Of course Mike had immersed himself in "Innovator's Dilemma" Koolaid. Lol. Mixed with Dan's Koolaid proved a catastrophic blend, imo. Lol.
    Last edited by idssteve; 10-11-19 at 04:40 AM.
    ppeters914 and cribble2k like this.
    10-11-19 04:25 AM
    Haha... Try explaining to uninitiated management a purchase requisition for 2 dozen of something called "PLAY-book" !! Lol.

Lol.
    play·book
    /ˈplāˌbo͝ok/
    nounNorth American
    noun: playbook; plural noun: playbooks

a book containing a sports team's strategies and plays, especially in football.

This might surprise you....but it is a common term ...used to discuss business strategy and execution.

Not to get too nasty, compare this "Playbook" to the "iPad".....which everyone at the time laughed at...because of its connotation to things like "Always" and "StayFree"...feminine hygene products...you get the jist. People still chuckle quietly when you say iPad out loud.
    Last edited by i_plod_an_dr_void; 10-14-19 at 04:56 PM.
    10-14-19 04:46 PM
    play·book
    /ˈplāˌbo͝ok/
    nounNorth American
    noun: playbook; plural noun: playbooks

a book containing a sports team's strategies and plays, especially in football.

This might surprise you....but it is a common term ...used to discuss business strategy and execution.

Not to get too nasty, compare this "Playbook" to the "iPad".....which everyone at the time laughed at...because of its connotation to things like "Always" and "StayFree"...feminine hygene products...you get the jist. People still chuckle quietly when you say iPad out loud.
    Oh yes, made sense to most of us but not so obvious for some of "uninitiated management". lol.

Consumer products might tolerate and possibly even benefit from some humor in association. lol. I still frequently use my PB's HDMI, via BT remote from Bold, for presentations. Some presentations are for groups who's first language may not be english. There are times and topics where the word "Play" may not prove optimally received without time consuming explanation. It's easy enough to conceal the name of the device. lol.

Always thought it a chuckle that QNX and BBOS teams didn't seem to more adequately leverage RIM's own "Playbook" creation to better coordinate "business strategy and execution." while deving BB10... lol.
    10-14-19 06:05 PM
    [IMG=1149x1100]https://i.imgur.com/p7cx7Zf.jpg[/url]

I went back and found the sales numbers to help complete my chart, though the older numbers aren't perfect as they seem to be based on BB's fiscal year rather than the calendar year, but I'm not looking to achieve perfect accuracy, but rather, to give folks some idea of where BB has been and where we are today, as it seems that a lot of people aren't aware much of this. I've also added in some significant development points along the way to help give context.

Note that the numbers aren't broken out by BBOS/BB10/Android, but I did note the approximate time of release of each of those on the chart. It should also be noted that BB pushed hard into developing markets in 2008 with a low-cost model called Gemini (Curve 8520), which resulted in a high volume of unit sales in India, Indonesia, Nigeria, South America, and Malaysia, among others. These phones had very little margin, but they did generate monthly Service Access Fees (SAFs), which was far more important to BB. However, these sales caused big numeric growth in unit sales right at the time that sales in North America and Europe were peaking, which helped to hide the resulting drop in sales for a couple of years. Insiders, of course, were aware of what was happening, which is why QNX was ultimately purchased in 2010 with plans to release a "BBX" ("BlackBerry+QNX") operating system. But BBX was someone else's trademark, and BB was forced to change the name to BB10.

By seeing these numbers graphically, it might help people who aren't familiar with the BB story to understand the situation that BB phones find themselves in today in a way that is easy to digest.

I must note that the 2017 and 2018 numbers are "unofficial" as BBMo does not release figures, though they come from TCL insiders, and the 2019 number is my estimate based on those "unofficial" numbers for the first half of 2019.
    Where do the 2020 data fit in there?

I'm thinking 2021 will be a bust, as I'm not sure OM's going to have a phone out before the end of the year... if ever.
    02-24-21 01:56 PM
    Where do the 2020 data fit in there?
    2020 was effectively zero. Not that literally zero phones were sold, but that those few that hadn't yet been sold to consumers had already been written off by TCL and clearanced to one online dealer. 2019 was almost certainly the last year that TCL had BBMo phones on their books.
    02-25-21 08:20 PM
    This is fascinating stuff. I would love to have a "Sooner" with 2020 specs! Check out that pocketable form factor!
    I was thinking the EXACT same thing!!
    03-25-21 06:17 PM
31 12