RIM needs to do something with it's OS 7 devices. I know they don't have the "horsepower" to run BB 10. But, would it be possible to run an OS based on the QNX Micro kernel as an upgrade to OS 7. Not just a theme but actual OS, just not as capable in order to give the processor a break and the battery as well. I'm not a programmer so I sure don't know if this is possible

Just a thought,
    05-03-12 03:24 PM
    Pretty sure QNX on any level needs a dual-core processor to handle the multitasking and intense graphics
    05-03-12 03:42 PM
    Yea would be nice to have some sort of QNX on OS7 but will not happen. Me I'm very happy with OS7 just the way it is. Phone does everything I ask it to with easy. there are some folks here still running OS 4.0 & are quite happy.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    05-03-12 03:50 PM
    No, it is not possible. OS 7 devices will not be upgrading to BB10. Just as most OS 5 devices were not upgraded to 6.

This is not a secret. The processes that BB10 requires are not even present in the current crop of handsets. You probably have as much chance of seeing BB10 on an 8520 than you do on an OS 7 device.

I'm sorry, but RIM has always been great when it comes to supporting older devices. Why do they need to reinvent the wheel. There would be no gain if they did all that work. BB10 is a new OS designed for a new handset/hardware lineup.
    05-03-12 03:54 PM
    Sadly BB10 on OS7 device is basically impossible and not cause of the processor.
    Look on the bright side.
    you will be able to upgrade to OS8
    which will probably still
    bring u that great new Virtual Keyboard and some other features.
    RIM is not gonna abandon OS7 users. Remember OS7 devices are still gonna be selling full force internationally for a year or 2 more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-03-12 03:55 PM
    I'd rather RIM "laser focus" all their efforts on a brand new OS, rather than dividing their work force on a stripped down OS for older models (along with the necessary beta testing).

I paid full price for my 9900, and I got what I paid for. I knew beforehand that a new OS was coming.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-03-12 04:00 PM
    I'd rather RIM "laser focus" all their efforts on a brand new OS, rather than dividing their work force on a stripped down OS for older models (along with the necessary beta testing).

I paid full price for my 9900, and I got what I paid for. I knew beforehand that a new OS was coming.
    I'm happy with my Tour and OS 5 but I watch the financial news and apparently people are holding off on OS 7 waiting for 10. RIM is losing a lot of market share, like I said, I'm not a programmer. Just don't want to lose RIM.
    05-03-12 04:08 PM
    No they dont, and have already said No they wont.

RIM needs to do something with it's OS 7 devices. I know they don't have the "horsepower" to run BB 10. But, would it be possible to run an OS based on the QNX Micro kernel as an upgrade to OS 7. Not just a theme but actual OS, just not as capable in order to give the processor a break and the battery as well. I'm not a programmer so I sure don't know if this is possible

Just a thought,
    05-03-12 04:14 PM
    Sadly BB10 on OS7 device is basically impossible and not cause of the processor.
    Look on the bright side.
    you will be able to upgrade to OS8
    which will probably still
    bring u that great new Virtual Keyboard and some other features.
    RIM is not gonna abandon OS7 users. Remember OS7 devices are still gonna be selling full force internationally for a year or 2 more.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    There's not going to be an OS8. There's no evidence of its existence whatsoever. 7.1 is likely the final version of the original BBOS.
    05-03-12 07:25 PM
    Os 7.1 should have been 6.1 and my 3G curve would have had wifi hotspot.
    05-03-12 08:18 PM
    Maybe BB7 should be upgraded to windows 7 since it can handle a singlecore???
    05-03-12 08:51 PM
    Another Rim Should... RIM Needs To... thread.

Thanks!
    05-03-12 09:56 PM
    Yeah I've said this many times. It is what it is. Sucks for OS7 user like myself
    05-03-12 10:05 PM
    Yeah I've said this many times. It is what it is. Sucks for OS7 user like myself

I'm an OS 7 user. I am not disappointed. Looking forward to what they will be able to do with BB10.

Sent from my fingers on a 9900 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 09:18 AM
    Doesn't suck at all, bb7 and 7.1 work great on my current phone and will still work great even after the release of bb10 on newer devices.
    05-04-12 09:23 AM
    05-04-12 09:29 AM
    It really wouldn't be beneficial to anyone to have RIM spend as much time as would be needed trying to get a BB10 lite version running on OS7 devices. It would take away from the current BB10 and also most likely leave a glitchy OS for the BB7 devices. Those BB7 phones weren't made with QNX in mind and they should be left how they are.
    05-04-12 09:40 AM
    If you really want OS 10, start saving some money now to buy a new phone.
    05-04-12 12:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD