I was wondering if anyone has a clue as to what will be Blackberry's future policy in future OS upgrades for older devices. In the past, RIM's upgrade policy was rather surprising for holders of (not so much) older devices as it was the case with bold 9700 and OS 6, bold 9780 and OS 7, and the current case with OS 10 and previous OS 7 devices that some were released a few months before BB 10 announcement. It may sound a little bit premature for a new project like BB 10 the future of which is still unclear, but, nevertheless, the worst thing that any new buyer of Z10 or Q10 could imagine is a new OS 11 comes after some months (more tested, more stable, more features packed, etc.) together with a newer BB 11 device (better batery, speed, resolution, etc.) that his current device is not enlisted to upgrade!!! The last thing you want is to feel your phone obsolete to new futures in a year or earlier, something that does not happen to iPhone and Android devices and has happened many times in Blackberry!

PS. I love Blackberries and the last five years I've bought 8 devices. I have also the Samsung Galaxy Note and the new iPhone 5 mainly as weekend phones. But the Feeling and Productivity efficiency my Bold 9900 gives during my work days is unmatched from any other modern device! And I strongly believe the same experience will be true for the new BB 10 devices!

Thanks in advance for your time!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 08:45 PM
    If you base the thought on the Playbook, then I would guess that it'll be at least a one generation upgrade cycle. Meaning that most, if not all of the current BB10 devices will be upgraded to the theoretical BB11, but not BB12.

Obviously none of us know for sure, including BlackBerry. I'm fairly sure they aren't even thinking about anything other than BB10 right now.
    01-31-13 08:53 PM
    That's what I thought too in the first place, regarding the reasoning behind the Playbook. But, nevertheless, is worth making explicit this scepticism for something which might be an issue!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 09:00 PM
    If you base the thought on the Playbook, then I would guess that it'll be at least a one generation upgrade cycle. Meaning that most, if not all of the current BB10 devices will be upgraded to the theoretical BB11, but not BB12.

Obviously none of us know for sure, including BlackBerry. I'm fairly sure they aren't even thinking about anything other than BB10 right now.
    Why a one upgrade cycle? Based on the PlayBook we will be getting numerous upgrades...we had 2.0...and we will be going to BB10...which is a major upgrade...so wouldnt that be at least a 2 year cycle for the PlayBook currently?
    01-31-13 09:02 PM
    Future OS upgrades will be available, and will be compatible with the current BB10 devices.
    01-31-13 09:03 PM

That logic is heavily flawed. Why on earth does that makes sense to you?
    01-31-13 09:05 PM
    I think upgrade cycles should be just like iOS. 2 major upgrades per device ie. Star with 4.0, in a year 5.0, and 6.0 as last.
    01-31-13 09:25 PM
    There is only one iPhone in each version, so Apple don't have to compromise with low-end devices, like RIM had to do with BlackBerry 6: 9700 got it, but 8520 didn't.

Considering the spec of Z10 (which is almost on par with my PC), the theoretical BlackBerry 11 should be compatible with it. BlackBerry 6 and BlackBerry 7 were rushed and not polished, they were essentially theme upgrades for BlackBerry Device Software 5 (although with more features, none earth-shattering). Not to mention past BlackBerry devices were severely underpowered.

Now that BlackBerry 10 is out, perhaps the team at BlackBerry can focus on the platform and not rush another major upgrade. Updates perhaps, but not upgrades.
    01-31-13 10:09 PM
    You are guaranteed to get future upgrades at least in the near-future. I cannot make any comments about long-term updates (e.g. that in 3-5 years time).
    01-31-13 10:18 PM