Does leaving wifi on all the time, use more battery than shutting it off when not in use ?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 06:38 AM
    Well it would have to use a little more power but there are days that I have left it on all day long and saw little to no extra battery discharge so it must go into a efficient standby mode for sure.
    02-13-10 06:42 AM
    I noticed that it depends if you use it or not. It definitely drains whether being used or not, however, it drains alot more when you're using it while it's on. Why keep it on the whole day though? just assign the Manage Connections shortcut to some button in your BlackBerry and turn it on when you need it.
    02-13-10 07:03 AM
    There are also apps you can download/buy that will turn wi-fi on or off depending upon your location. But personally I leave wifi on all the time (I use UMA at home and at work due to signal problems) and I still get 2 to 2.5 days out of a single charge.
    02-13-10 07:26 AM
    Wifi does not have a dramatic impact on battery life. You can leave it on all the time and test your battery according to your usage. If like others, you can easily go a day and a half to two days,with wifi on, then you have nothing to worry about. Leaving wifi/Bluetooth on or off all depends on how you use your phone. Some need to shut it off, some don't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-10 07:44 AM
    I leave mine on 90% of the time and a good 40% I have a connection and I still get 2 days out of my phone. I find the key to battery life is propperly closing apps!!!
    02-13-10 08:12 AM
    I find the key to battery life is propperly closing apps!!!
    Definitely agreed!
    02-13-10 08:17 AM
    Definitely agreed!
    idd

-------------------------------------
    sig: i rock!
    Berryfris.nl - Onderdelen voor je blackberry, behuizingen, faceplates, covers, Bold, curve, onyx
    02-13-10 09:16 AM
    Definitely agreed!
    I agree with that also. I always leave my phone on with WiFi preferred even if I'm not in an area where I can hook up to the WiFi. When I'm at home, the WiFi is always present. I've left the phone in my purse overnight, went to an area that has 3G, came home and still had 65% battery life.
    02-13-10 09:34 AM
    I leave it on all the time and I get 2 days out of my battery
    02-13-10 10:10 AM
    This tells me that when not in use, the WiFi radio must pretty well go into a standby/sleep mode.
    02-13-10 10:15 AM
    I leave mine on 90% of the time and a good 40% I have a connection and I still get 2 days out of my phone. I find the key to battery life is propperly closing apps!!!
    Thanks for the replies,
    I used half my battery in 5 hours today, that is probably my problem.
    02-13-10 04:21 PM
    Ya I would be looking into that for sure! Mind you... I don't talk on my phone but it still hardly ever leaves my hands... I send about 3,500 text & recieve about 3,700 text per month and usually about 10mb of data. My weather app is set to refresh every 30 minutes so ya I would def look into making sure you are closing apps. I accidently left google maps running over night and it dropped my battery down to 70% by morning...
    02-13-10 04:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD