Hello all. So I just have a pretty general question about the life of any BlackBerry battery. Being that its summertime now, and it's honestly hotter than , does the heat from the sun drain the life of a battery? I have my BlackBerry Curve 9370 inside my belt case, and with the windows down in the car, the rays of the sun must be hitting it because when I take it out of the case it feels hot. I have no apps running so I'm not doing anything for it to be hot. I'm wondering if this is going to drain my battery quicker, or if its just a myth??
    07-17-12 01:14 PM
    Its going to fry your device, never mind the battery life lol. Put your phone in the shade.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-17-12 01:20 PM
    The battery will have a longer service life (total charge cycles, or power delivered) if it is kept reasonably cool. The energy available from one charge is likely to be optimum if the battery is maintained around 15-30C (60-85F) in the middle of its rated operating range. However, a warm or hot battery within rated range should not have a significantly higher leakage or discharge rate.

The best advice is to avoid extremes. The battery won't perform well below freezing (but usually survives moderate cold). It is probably rated up to about 55C (almost too hot to hold) but continued service at this temperature will increase stress on the cells and going significantly higher risks premature failure of the cells or a heat-distorted casing. Your phone won't respond well to these extremes either.

You could think of it another way - If the phone rings, is it too hot to hold to your ear...
    Laura Knotek and JR A like this.
    07-17-12 02:03 PM
    Yikes! Maybe that's what fried my Storm 2. Either that, or it was a Storm 2 lol.
    JR A likes this.
    07-17-12 06:57 PM
    Yikes! Maybe that's what fried my Storm 2. Either that, or it was a Storm 2 lol.

My 9850 is holding up pretty well at normal room/car temps, AC on and all. As far as my storm2. I kept it because I love it. It is still going after 2.5years. I merely got this to hold me over til BB10.

Cheers

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 until my kick a$$ BB10 is released ! I'm stickin with RIeM til one of us dies.
    07-17-12 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD