When someone says do a battery pull 3 times... does that mean pull the battery then when it starts all back up again pull the battery again until you repeat the process over... Or can you pull the battery while it's rebooting or starting up after the first pull???
    01-28-10 02:02 AM
    After it is fully booted up.
    01-28-10 02:14 AM
    why would you need to do a battery pull 3 times/ Once resets the device.
    01-28-10 06:14 AM
    why would you need to do a battery pull 3 times/ Once resets the device.
    +1 Enough is enough. More than one is overkill and time wasting.
    01-28-10 07:27 AM
    one battery pull is overkill and to much time..

i think alot of battery pulls could be avoided by using the auto off/on feature....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-28-10 07:41 AM
    Battery pulls are the cure to the common cold for Blackberries - why you'd need to do it three times in a row doesn't make sense - it'd be like taking 3x the dosage of medicine haha.
    01-28-10 07:52 AM
    one battery pull is overkill and to much time..

i think alot of battery pulls could be avoided by using the auto off/on feature....
    So, if a program locks up my BB at 9 in the morning (which will prevent even calls coming through as I have had happen a few times), I should wait for 11 pm (which is when I have the auto off set) for it to go off, and when it comes back on at 7 in the morning, everthing will be fine?

I not so sure.
    01-28-10 08:11 AM
    So, if a program locks up my BB at 9 in the morning (which will prevent even calls coming through as I have had happen a few times), I should wait for 11 pm (which is when I have the auto off set) for it to go off, and when it comes back on at 7 in the morning, everthing will be fine?

I not so sure.
    I prefer an overnight reset with QuickPull and the occasional hard battery pull when the gremlins arise. Auto function does not do all I need.
    01-28-10 08:33 AM
    Is using an app like "Quick Pull" advisable? Pulling a battery is pain in the *** enough... just want to avoid wear and tear on the battery door - so it doesn't get too loose down the road... I've heard of battery doors becoming so loose they fall off by themselves...
    01-28-10 08:37 AM

I not so sure.
    I seriously doubt that's what he meant.

He said most battery pulls can be avoided...

Back on topic, 1 should be enough. Who told you to do 3 in a row?
    01-28-10 11:56 AM

I not so sure.
    most battery pulls are caused by a program files conflicting with each other and locking up the phone due to the CPU going " hum... i hit a brick wall so i'll stay put".... then you have to pull the battery and reset everything.

If people took the time to remove programs from their phone that they do not need. IE, why do i need VZ Navigator, VCast, Vodafone Music on my T-Mobile 9700. and yes those are in my .442 file. Why do i need the T-mobile enabler, my fave five programming, Visual Voice Mail, and t-mobiles "my account" , if i know that that i am not going to use them. So before i run my apploader and put a new OS on my phone i take an extra 5 mins and delete the stuff that i know i will not be using. upload the new OS to my phone minus all the crap, and i don't have problems, due to a carrier v. supplied software problem, and i get more memory.

With that being said. if you close down the applications you do not use, i'm not talking about like uber twitter, or vodafone update i mean like ebay/ amazon/ slacker/ pandora/facebook... stuff that has no auto refresh you lessen the chances of .cod files fighting with each other....

the closer you get to the fire, the higher chance you have of getting burned is what i am getting at...

there are obvious time you need to do a battery pull... but it shouldn't be the first resort like everyone makes it out to be.

and if you use a memory cleaner like FixMoTools, you can keep your ROM/RAM clean and less the chances of a battery pull even further

and program like Kisses will help you find hidden open programs.
    01-28-10 12:16 PM
    I have seen that misinformation posted and re-posted recently.

When your battery is out, there is no power to the internal logic. Applying power forces it to restart, exactly the same way each time. Doing it multiple time is pointless and counter productive becasue you are wasting time when you could be using the BlackBerry.

I use Auto On/Off, it powers down at night and turns back on in the morning. The flood of overnight reports makes a pretty decient alarm clock.
    01-28-10 12:20 PM
    QuickPull normally does the trick....
    More than once is a waste
    01-28-10 12:31 PM
    Get the quickpull application and you can save yourself time and effort
    01-28-10 12:42 PM
    I believe the OP is referring to when you load a new OS it is suggested that you perform a minimum of 3 battery pulls to help the OS to "settle in".
    01-28-10 01:39 PM
    Get the quickpull application and you can save yourself time and effort
    and nuke the phone in the process.

01-28-10 01:48 PM
    I believe the OP is referring to when you load a new OS it is suggested that you perform a minimum of 3 battery pulls to help the OS to "settle in".
    That is the misinformation that we are discussing now.

It is a digital computer, it doesn't need to "settle in".
    01-28-10 01:51 PM
    Here is a good discussion about this topic
    The value of battery pulls and other notes
    01-28-10 02:11 PM
    That is the misinformation that we are discussing now.

It is a digital computer, it doesn't need to "settle in".
    i have to second this motion... the firmware and CPU are ready to go as soon as you push the "on button"

01-28-10 02:25 PM
    Are we serious right now?? Come on, this is a joke, right?? I mean, really, like tucking the OS into it's new bed, making sure he's comfortable in his new surroundings...

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

One battery pull is sufficient.
    Last edited by elvin1983; 01-28-10 at 02:32 PM.
    01-28-10 02:28 PM
    ...what follows is based on and supported only by my findings ...

...However, this doesn't specifically address high dph right our of the box on a fresh OS/Hybrid install. To counter that, I as well as many others here with in the community recommend pulling the battery. Me personally, I do a minimum of 5x battery pulls during the first 4 hours. The reason is this, when you do a soft reset, which is fine in some cases, it doesn't allow the hand held device to completely disipate the electrical charge from the system, thereby keeping stuff within system memory, on board capacitors and whatnot. Removing the battery for at least 30 seconds allows for a complete system electrical discharge so that when the handheld is fired up again, it's firing up completely fresh, no lost or "orphaned" data remaining within it's memory. ...
    It appears there is a substantial difference in opinion on this subject.

Let me qualify by saying, I hold professional certifications in hardware maintenance and support, (A+ certification) with over 35 years of experience. I have built computers from a bag of parts and a solder pencil. I have been programming them just as long.

I have to dispute the concept of "lost data", it just does not happen that way. When the power on restart takes place, the Program Counter resets the address bus too zero. The memory is initialized and everything is purged in the process. Removing the power has no effect on Flash Memory, no matter how often you do it.

01-28-10 02:29 PM
    I've used QuickPull so far, just got my 9700 on Friday, and I've only used it rather than doing an actual battery pull and it's worked perfect every time. I keep my phone in an Otterbox Defender case so that'd be painful to have to actually pull the battery every time.
    01-28-10 03:19 PM
    I've used QuickPull so far, just got my 9700 on Friday, and I've only used it rather than doing an actual battery pull and it's worked perfect every time. I keep my phone in an Otterbox Defender case so that'd be painful to have to actually pull the battery every time.

You do know that blackberries have a built in "native" quick pull

press and hold all at the same time
    -the right "alt" button
    -the left "caps" button
    -the "del" button

01-28-10 03:50 PM
    You do know that blackberries have a built in "native" quick pull

press and hold all at the same time
    -the right "alt" button
    -the left "caps" button
    -the "del" button

Yes, I do this, too. But as Reed pointed out, it's not the same thing as completely removing the power supply for a time. The difference is subtle but significant.

I would add also that even RIM recommends and approves of the battery pull as needed. It's on their web site...no really, it is!
    01-28-10 10:59 PM
    I don't understand why people do battery pulls anyway...all u gotta do is alt,shift and delete.
    01-28-10 11:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD