My apologies if this has been covered in the forums but I do have a rather simple question to ask the community at large.

Why do you all complain of battery pulls when it is so simple to reboot your berry by pressing alt+right shift+del? Why would you need QuickPull when that simple combination exists? Am I missing something?
    02-08-10 02:38 PM
    i have not seen any empirical data, but many claim that a hard reset (battery pull) is superior to a soft reset for various reasons. it ensures everything is shut down and reset since you have physically killed all processes.
    02-08-10 02:44 PM
    QuickPull will do it for you automatically while you sleep. My BB just runs better when it's rebooted once a day.
    02-08-10 02:44 PM
    Plus some machines, like the 8120, do not reboot from the keyboard.
    02-08-10 03:00 PM
    QuickPull = Worthless
    Keyborad reset = Pointless in most cases
    Physical battery pull = Should be done ONLY as a last resort.

There is no point or benefit to doing these things with any regularity,
    have no real bearing on memory or performance.
    02-08-10 03:03 PM
    QuickPull = Worthless
    Keyborad reset = Pointless in most cases
    Physical battery pull = Should be done ONLY as a last resort.

There is no point or benefit to doing these things with any regularity,
    have no real bearing on memory or performance.
    I agree, the only time I do a battery pull is after installing an application or when my device is acting buggy...
    02-08-10 03:05 PM
    @ amazinglygraceless please explain. Are you saying just close all your applications and your berry will be back to "full memory" in no time? I hadn't noticed a need to reset very often myself as well but those times when it does slow down certainly are helped with the reset option
    02-08-10 03:07 PM
    I only did battery pulls when the phone froze or something. I never did it on a daily basis on ever had QuickPull installed on any of my devices. But most people do a battery pull just because it is more believed that a hard reset like that is more beneficial than a soft reset.
    02-08-10 03:07 PM
    But most people do a battery pull just because it is more believed that a hard reset like that is more beneficial than a soft reset.
    Correct, in order for a true reboot to occur, all power needs to be removed so the device and it's capacitors "die". This has to be done manually because the OS cannot replicate a power loss, QuickPull only "simulates" a battery pull. That is why nothing replaces the battery pull...
    02-08-10 03:11 PM
    I have been using QuickPull for several months. It always recovers several MB more than closing all the apps. It has never failed to work.

I would guess that Curve owners that have a lot of apps would find it more valuable than people with BBs with more memory.
    02-08-10 03:20 PM
    @ amazinglygraceless please explain. Are you saying just close all your applications and your berry will be back to "full memory" in no time? I hadn't noticed a need to reset very often myself as well but those times when it does slow down certainly are helped with the reset option
    I have been using QuickPull for several months. It always recovers several MB more than closing all the apps. It has never failed to work.

I would guess that Curve owners that have a lot of apps would find it more valuable than people with BBs with more memory.
    Routine resets are pointless (on all BBs) because the Garbage Collector
    (part of the Java Machine) will kick in automatically when the memory is
    too low.

Better than forced resets is simply basic housekeeping. Delete messages
    that are not essential, clear caches, close apps properly, etc and you
    will be just fine.
    02-08-10 03:31 PM
    Better than forced resets is simply basic housekeeping. Delete messages
    that are not essential, clear caches, close apps properly, etc and you
    will be just fine.
    I don't disagree with that in theory, but I personally have had a better experience with my Curve when I use QuickPull to reboot nightly.
    02-08-10 03:45 PM
    Not to thread hijack, but I have started another thread about a battery problem that I have. I would appreciate anyone reading this to take a look at that and see if they can offer any insight. thanks.
    02-08-10 03:48 PM
    I have to disagree as well. I have seen some apps leave data behind that only gets cleaned up with a reset. Sure, the garbage collector will free up memory as needed, but if apps have memory leaks, that portion of memory doesn't always get cleared (and messages, log, and other information can go by the wayside first).

Storms don't have keyboards, so QuickPull or battery pull are the only options. One single Alt-Shift-Del will soft-reboot. Press Alt-Shift-Delete as soon as the white screen appears and it will give you a hard reboot (similar to a battery pull).

I do agree, though. If all apps closed properly and didn't have memory leaks, there wouldn't be a need to pull the battery.
    02-08-10 03:52 PM
    Wouldn't you still need a battery pull or reset or something when removing software? After all, even the desktop manager resets the BB after installing or removing software.
    02-08-10 03:54 PM
    Not to thread hijack, but I have started another thread about a battery problem that I have. I would appreciate anyone reading this to take a look at that and see if they can offer any insight. thanks.
    Haven't run across it yet. It helps to have a link or location of your thread for easy reference on WAP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 04:00 PM
    but if apps have memory leaks, that portion of memory doesn't always get cleared (and messages, log, and other information can go by the wayside first).
    ... and herein lies the problem. Most of the time when users speak of
    memory leaks they are, well, wrong. The phone is doing what it does.

People has been so preached to about watching memory. Then comes along
    an app that makes grand promises and you have a perfect storm of confusion
    and misinformation.

Yes some apps are problematic but a simpler solution to me is to delete
    anything that does not perform properly (i.e. Viigo)

I currently have 54 installed apps. Of those 6 are never closed out making
    for 11 apps that are always running in the background. I never look at
    my memory except for beta testing one app. And even then I don't care
    what the number is.
    02-08-10 04:33 PM
    Haven't run across it yet. It helps to have a link or location of your thread for easy reference on WAP.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    OK, here's the link to my thread with my battery question. Again, I'm not trying to hijack this one but the same people that have opinions about quickpull/rebooting, etc. may have advice for me. thanks

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/battery-problem-419111/
    02-08-10 05:21 PM
    @amazinglygraceless,
    OK, I'll admit that I have (and use often) Viigo. I love it too much to take it off.

One other thing I have observed is that it is easy to leave "apps" running in the background unintentionally, such as the address book if I open it and make a call from it.
    02-08-10 05:24 PM
    @amazinglygraceless,
    OK, I'll admit that I have (and use often) Viigo. I love it too much to take it off.
    I love for my phone to work too much to put that POS on any phone I own.

One other thing I have observed is that it is easy to leave "apps" running in the background unintentionally, such as the address book if I open it and make a call from it.
    There are time I have 20 - 25 apps open all day. Still does not matter and
    certainly not affect the performance of my device. I did the same with the 8310
    and that thing had only 64mb of memory.
    02-08-10 05:35 PM
    I currently have 54 installed apps. Of those 6 are never closed out making for 11 apps that are always running in the background. I never look at my memory except for beta testing one app. And even then I don't care what the number is.
    AG, do you ever get a slowdown or the dreaded hourglass/clock dial indicating a slowdown? At that point, do you do a bp or reset?

Like you, I don't run QuickPull or any other scheduled resets. But I do periodic resets and an occasional bp if my memory drops below 10mb. I always close apps when I'm finished, and I keep things maintained pretty well. And I seem to pretty good at avoiding "crapware" (e.g. Facebook).

Just curious.
    02-08-10 11:19 PM
    AG, do you ever get a slowdown or the dreaded hourglass/clock dial indicating a slowdown? At that point, do you do a bp or reset?

Like you, I don't run QuickPull or any other scheduled resets. But I do periodic resets and an occasional bp if my memory drops below 10mb. I always close apps when I'm finished, and I keep things maintained pretty well. And I seem to pretty good at avoiding "crapware" (e.g. Facebook).

Just curious.
    Never a slowdown in actual performance. There are times I'll get an hourglass
    but it lasts for a second or two so I don't worry about it.

The only time I do a reset is with an app install / deletion or and OS
    upgrade / reinstall.

Somewhere on this forum I posted my uptimes with screenshots.
    The Pearl was 103 days and the Curve I think was 54.
    (Uptime = time since last reset)
    02-08-10 11:29 PM
    2 things about a battery pull.

First, it is superior in the sense that when you leave the battery out for 10 to 30 seconds the internal RAM the CPU uses is reset. QuickPull cannot do that. In fact, nothing can wipe memory as completely as a battery pull.

Second, there is a legitimate reason to pull the battery but it really doesn't need to be done more than once every few months. The nature of LIon batteries makes their voltage monitors drift over time. So one day you think you have 95% battery left when really you have 90%.

But this takes a long time to happen, so generally it is not a worry.
    02-08-10 11:43 PM
    Second, there is a legitimate reason to pull the battery but it really doesn't need to be done more than once every few months.

Agreed but memory management and maximizing performance is not it.
    That's my point.
    02-08-10 11:50 PM
    Agreed but memory management and maximizing performance is not it.
    That's my point.
    Oh ya, I get that. I was just adding a caveat to the whole thread.
    02-08-10 11:52 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD