View Poll Results: Is the battery pull problem acceptable?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • If they don't fix it soon I'll go crazy

6 13.64%
  • It's annoying but I have faith RIM is feverishly working on it.

15 34.09%
  • It doesn't bother me

23 52.27%
09-11-09 12:44 PM
31 12
tools
    We all know that when your blackberry isn't working right you open the case and pull the battery and then it will be all better for a few days.

It's gotten to the point that we all just accept this as, well, acceptable. The problem is, the phone wasn't designed to remove the battery frequently. There are plastic hooks on the case that will eventually break. The battery doesn't come out easily, it just wasn't designed to be removed while you're standing on a crowded bus, or driving.

What I'm concerned about is that as we accept this problem as a fact of blackberry life, RIM has no motivation to address it.

I don't have any suggestions what to do, I'm just throwing out a thought here. I guess we all have to get up out of our chairs, open an email to RIM and yell "I'm as mad as **** and I'm not going to take it any more". Otherwise nothing will happen.

-Charlie
    09-10-09 09:38 AM
    Well i've had my BB for a little over a year now and there is nothing wrong with pulling your battery every once in a while. I've probably pulled the battery on my BB over 200 times and its just fine.
    09-10-09 09:41 AM
    IMHO, pulling the battery should be reserved for those rare occasions when something is not working correctly.

In practice, I rarely pull my battery. It is common to go months at a time between restarts. Regular battery pulls are counter productive, each time, your BlackBerry has to download data to rebuild the caches and other temporary work files that allow it to run efficiently.

Memory Management is built into Sun Java, it works just fine given a chance.
    09-10-09 09:47 AM
    I don't understand. You mean when your BB goes to solid hour glass, if you wait long enough it will clear up?

I agree it shouldn't be a problem. For example, Windows used to lock up and go blue screen but over the years, as MS learned lessons from Unix, those problems have virtually gone away. I firmly believe it is possible to create a far more bullet-proof handheld OS than what ships with BB. I dare say, though I hate to say it, win CE is more stable than BB at this point. I don't think it has to be that way.
    09-10-09 09:55 AM
    Sun Java is a multi taking and multi threaded operating system. When everything is working correctly, each active thread will get sufficient access to the processor.

The spinning hour glass indicates a high priority task is being serviced, one that is so critical, it can not share cycles with the normal tasks. We see this at startup and when memory is being managed by garbage collection. Normally, that will happen when the BlackBerry is otherwise idle.

If you are seeing the high priority task frequently, that indicates a problem. The problem may be memory constraints or it may be an issue in the core OS that can be resolved by using carrier approved software.
    09-10-09 10:08 AM
    I've used BBs for over 4 years and I've only done a battery pull probably less than 20 times total.
    09-10-09 10:10 AM
    They should add a feature like command kill that automatically kills all the process not vital to operation.
    09-10-09 10:12 AM
    So you never reboot your PC?

Nothing is bullet proof, however we can make it fault tolerant to a certain degree. And personally I am not so heavy handed with my device as to cause damage when I remove parts of it.

And I'm not sure what qualifies as constant battery pulling. Mine has been running 8 days so far with no issues and the only reason I shut it down last time was to remove the media card for a while. I suspect it may be another few weeks before I remove it again for any reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-09 10:13 AM
    Sun Java was created to be the most reliable operating system ever developed. It was commissioned by NASA's JPL for the really critical work, like the Mars Rovers and the space craft that got them there.

Nothing is more reliable or bullet proof then Sun Java.

BlackBerry Core OS is well developed and highly reliable, but there is ongoing work when features are added, sometimes it does not work as expected. That is were the engineers and product testers at Research in Motion earn their keep.

Third party applications? The first step in troubleshooting to roll it back to know stable and try again.
    09-10-09 10:19 AM
    Unless the phone COMPLETELY freezes or an app install or
    uninstall requires it I never reset it.
    As a measure of routine maintenance it is totally worthless and
    is the worst advice given out by this and every other BB forum.
    09-10-09 10:31 AM
    I've never had to pull my battery just so things are better for a couple days.

I consider pulling the battery out ever so often just some general maintenance on my phone. Helps restore some memory and just helps my phone reset itself.

I swear...I get so tired of ppl overworking their phones and then being shocked when they act up. If you are running apps, and emails, then some web, pictutes, video, music, etc...do you really expect that your phone will act the same as it did the day you got it out of the box?

Half the time I see ppl doing the battery pull non-stop is because they have some app on there that is causing havoc on the phone.
    09-10-09 10:39 AM
    I don't think a battery pull is a bad idea, but I don't do it unless something is wrong with my BB. It's a good first thing to try before going to other drastic measures like deleting apps, or reloading the OS. I look at it just like I do rebooting windows, it's just a thing to try to get the berry working right again.
    09-10-09 10:45 AM
    I look at it just like I do rebooting windows, it's just a thing to try to get the berry working right again.
    But when I reboot my PC, I don't have to take the cover off and pull it apart. There is a really high-tech way to do it... I push a button on the front.
    09-10-09 10:53 AM
    I think I've pulled the battery out of this Curve maybe 5 or 6 times during this past year and a half.
    Not really an issue for me.

That said,
    I do agree that it seems RIM needs to strengthen its OS across the board, for stability and make it a little more current.
    Last few BB releases seemed to have OS issues, and graphically - it's just a polishing of the same old stodgy thing RIM's been running for years.
    09-10-09 11:03 AM
    But when I reboot my PC, I don't have to take the cover off and pull it apart. There is a really high-tech way to do it... I push a button on the front.
    Not quite the same, do you really want an instant reboot button on the phone? I suspect there would be more than a few complaints about that.
    09-10-09 11:06 AM
    Not quite the same, do you really want an instant reboot button on the phone? I suspect there would be more than a few complaints about that.
    I don't hear PC users complaining about that button. Even on my laptop I can press and hold the power switch to force a shutdown.

Why not something like holding Alt-Power on the device to force a reboot? I know some BB's have a keystroke combo, though I can't seem to find one on my flip.

It is rather hokey that you have to pull the battery for a reboot. Especially given it is easily the #1 suggestion I read/hear.
    09-10-09 11:30 AM
    Most of us use a rebooting program like Quick Pull, or Softreset
    09-10-09 11:33 AM
    I don't hear PC users complaining about that button. Even on my laptop I can press and hold the power switch to force a shutdown.

Why not something like holding Alt-Power on the device to force a reboot? I know some BB's have a keystroke combo, though I can't seem to find one on my flip.

It is rather hokey that you have to pull the battery for a reboot. Especially given it is easily the #1 suggestion I read/hear.
    Maybe I'm just in the minority with the PC power button thing. I prefer them disabled as they're totally useless anyhow. The day they got rid of the BRS (you older people know what I mean) was the day I stopped using them.

Now you have "soft" buttons, so crash your PC good enough and the button is useless. That's why I keep the power bar in reach.
    09-10-09 11:35 AM
    I find it slightly annoying I have to pull my battery on occasion. I agree that this should not be an issue but no gadget is ever perfect. Considering that a battery pull is a simple fix for a lot of "problems" with our phones, I can live with it. It takes barely any time to physically pull the battery and, if you're careful, there is no threat of damaging the phone.

I also think the OS could use an overhaul but is not in dire need of one. I've never had a better phone and that's the bottom line IMO.

I like to pull my battery every night (using Quickpull Lite) but after reading some of the opinions listed here, I disabled it. Come to think of it, before I got Quickpull, I very rarely had to pull my battery so I think I'll stick to the old ways.

Just think of it this way- at least we can access the innards of our phones easily.
    09-10-09 12:10 PM
    There is an App available called "QuickPull" that simulates a battery pull. This works great for me whenever I feel the need.
    09-10-09 08:22 PM
    Do you disconnect the battery from your car or just turn it off?
    09-10-09 08:59 PM
    Since I have a protective case on my BB, I just do ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL.

Thnx, •Tripster•

09-10-09 10:15 PM
    If your affraid of damaging your battery cover just get the free version of QuickPull. I usually use QP everynight to regain my memory that has leaked throughout the day.
    09-10-09 10:18 PM
    09-10-09 10:30 PM
    I have never used QP and won't ever use it, cause it too uses up memory, uses memory/ram to recover leaked/lost memory. I just pull the battery myself or do ALT+RIGHT SHIFT+DEL. IMO

Thnx, •Tripster•

09-10-09 10:39 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD